Thread: UEC Vast reciever questions

Thanks

Default UEC Vast reciever questions

Hi guys - new to the forum - I have a couple of questions about the uec vast box - does the box come with a power supply cord (the box is 12v ?) and can I turn the box off and not miss the encryption signal (telephoning to get the card reactivated is a pain) - we are on solar power - and running the inverter all night to power the uec box is ridiculous !! - we have a 12v aurora setup that I have on a separate dc system so I can leave it on standby overnight - cheers

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Thanks

Ooops - I found the answer to one of my questions on page two ! any rate I would like to be able to turn off the box completely for say - a 24 hour period and not have any hassles - if this is so it would not matter if it is not 12v - the box would be on when the tv is on.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I have had mine on/off for 2-3 days at a time and it only takes about 30 seconds to get it's update

Thanks

So it is differant from the Aurora update ? - it seems if you miss the Aurora one you have to ring up.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thepitscars View Post
    So it is differant from the Aurora update ? - it seems if you miss the Aurora one you have to ring up.
    VAST updates seem to be quicker, however, even if an Aurora card hasn't received an update for quite a while, it's usually only a matter of leaving it in the card in the (turned on) decoder for a while.... if it's very out of date, maybe a few hours.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Cool

If your VAST decoder doesn't activate properly after being off for an extended period, it should be quickly re-activated on the MYVAST website at this link under viewer self service

All you need enter is your smartcard number & Decoder Model (currently only 1 - soon to be more). That simple, so don't go hanging on the phone.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

bambbbam (04-03-11),OSIRUS (03-03-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

They are offering activation for 'Travellers' so they must have taken into account that unless your one of the 'Rich & Famous' and can afford a self seeking Dish and even then there are dropouts in signal, the STB will be completely Off Line for variable periods of time so you wont want to spend time trying to 'Ring ET' from the 'Back o' Buggery' to get the box fired up.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

The VAST boot process is pretty non-standard. It wouldn't surprise me if the card gets an update every time it boots, but I can't say for sure. Is it even possible to do that?

Premium Member

Thanks

As the STB cant communicate with the satellite, they would either have to be continuously sending a signal once an minute,hour,day or week or each update is stored for a period of time which the only way of telling is to turn off a STB and leave it for a time and then turn it on at different times of day or even day of the week.
    Anybody wanting to 'Express an Interest' in this proposal ??
    Unlike PayTV this is FTA, so why would they need such continuous updating which is basically only to stop you cheating ?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 04-03-11 at 10:07 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    As the STB cant communicate with the satellite, they would either have to be continuously sending a signal once an minute,hour,day or week or each update is stored for a period of time which the only way of telling is to turn off a STB and leave it for a time and then turn it on at different times of day or even day of the week.
    Anybody wanting to 'Express an Interest' in this proposal ??
    Unlike PayTV this is FTA, so why would they need such continuous updating which is basically only to stop you cheating ?
    Been away on holidays for 6 weeks, applied power to our vast box and it received an update then rebooted. Channel listing was defaulted to having all states listed including WA channels. Only ABC & SBS channels were viewable, with all commercial channels being scrambled. Decided to reboot the box and channel listing changed back to our home state location. Within about 5 minutes all commercial channels were viewable, without having to contact vast at all.

Have noticed the changing of channels is quite painfully slow. Audio comes up first, followed by picture about 2 seconds later. Freezing still occurs on most channels, sometimes within 1-2 seconds of picture being visible, others about 5 seconds later. Freezing lasts for upto 1 second each time. Quite frustrating.

Haven't had time to watch much tv yet, but over the next week, will see if the channel freezes like we have all experienced (the one that requires a reboot to get over the freeze).

Premium Member

Thanks

Check the menu to see if it has received the most recent update of the 15th of February 2011.
    If it hasnt, see if the UpDate option is available to you in the Menu.

Thanks

When you say - I rebooted the STB - thats simply turning the box off and on again ?

Premium Member

Thanks

Total power off, pull the plug whatever, count 10 and turn on at the power is generaly considered a 'Reboot' althought the STB has a 'Reset' option but it may only be a 'soft reboot' rather than a full removal of power to the STB.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Update option is greyed out.
    I rebooted the box by simply turning off then back on again. Will remove the power cord as you mentioned and see what happens.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    Update option is greyed out.
    I rebooted the box by simply turning off then back on again. Will remove the power cord as you mentioned and see what happens.
    Have you checked the Menu (Advanced Options,then Information then DSD status) to see what update it shows?
    Should be Feb 15 2011.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Have you checked the Menu (Advanced Options,then Information then DSD status) to see what update it shows?
    Should be Feb 15 2011.
    Checked all three lists (DSD SW, Midware SW and Driver SW) and they state: Feb 15 2011 - 12:00:56.

As I mentioned before, still getting a delay when changing channels.
    When changing channels, audio comes up first after about 1 second. Followed by picture after a further 2 seconds.
    It's between 3-4 seconds before the channel is fully operational. This happens on every channel.

All ABC's and SBS's don't freeze. Every Commercial channel and Regional News channels do freeze.
    Channel freeze occurs between 1 to 5 seconds after the picture is viewable. All freezing lasts for less than a second. It is most annoying, and really is totally unacceptable.
    Last edited by Xplorer; 16-03-11 at 08:16 PM.