Thread: GPS FM broadcast + music / radio

Thanks

Default GPS FM broadcast + music / radio

I've just bought a cheap Chinese GPS unit running iGo8. I'm new to GPS but I'm happy with the unit so far. Also happy with being able to get Australian maps, files and information from this site (thanks!).

However, I have some questions arising from the fact that this unit is able to broadcast its instructions via FM radio. The broadcast is continous so if I have my FM radio tuned to the GPS then I cannot use the radio to play anything else at the same time. I suppose I had expected the GPS to broadcast only when it wanted to say something, not dead air the rest of the time.

This isn't the end of the world - I have 2 options that work OK:
    1) I can have the radio on listening to the cricket, and have the GPS giving instructions out of its own separate little speaker, OR
    2) I can have the GPS unit supply music as well by having the MP3 player in the GPS unit shuffle play through the MP3s on the SD card in the background.
    - this second approach has a limitation in that the unit shipped with a 4GB card that is almost full already, and I have put only about 30% of my MP3s on it.

My questions are:

1) Can I get a bigger SD card? The specs on the China website said the max card is 4GB, but the included manual says it will take an 8GB card. Is there some system info in the unit itself that will tell me what is the max card it can handle? If so where would I find it?

2) If I get a bigger SD card do I just "copy" my files to the new SD card via my PC or is there some 'installation' of the files required?

3) Can I remove some of the files from iGo8 to give me more space on the card, without upsetting the software - e.g. remove some foreign map and voice files.

4) Are there any other suggestions? I drive for long trips (10+ hours) quite often and I need to have something else besides GPS to listen to.

Thanks

Look Here ->

Thanks

I put in a head unit that takes a seperate sd card for music, plus usb's etc.
    I let the igo8 sd card do nav only.

Why dont you buy an 8gb card and have a play?

Bazzle

Thanks

I take shorter trips, but my unit is the same. Once I see how it is planning the route, I unplug the FM and listen to the radio then when i get closer to destination plug GPS FM back in so I can get directions. I have not tried the MPS or MUsic capability. i am in the states and generally have a radio station close when driving.