Thread: Google Earth Update Scam??

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Google Earth Update Scam??

In my spam folder I found an offer addressed to 'Google Earth' users to Update the application.
    The web address is Info AT websaidgo.com.
    I dont know who or what this site is but I got caught by not properly reading a similar offer 18 months ago and got bombarded with ongoing offers to 'Update' many applications.
    That one I found had a Panama City address and by the time they stopped, I had well over 50 in the spam folder, all with the same basic name but with a slight letter/number change in the address.
    I tried to unsubscribe to no avail as they just kept comming.
    Every Google Earth update I have seen comes when you activate the application and you go to their site, not some 3rd party which I think this is either SPAM or a Scam.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 06-03-11 at 06:59 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (06-03-11),Peck (07-03-11)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    In my spam folder I found an offer addressed to 'Google Earth' users to Update the application.
    The web address is Info AT websaidgo.com.
    I dont know who or what this site is but I got caught by not properly reading a similar offer 18 months ago and got bombarded with ongoing offers to 'Update' many applications.
    That one I found had a Panama City address and by the time they stopped, I had well over 50 in the spam folder, all with the same basic name but with a slight letter/number change in the address.
    I tried to unsubscribe to no avail as they just kept comming.
    Every Google Earth update I have seen comes when you activate the application and you go to their site, not some 3rd party which I think this is either SPAM or a Scam.
    Gordon, that site websaidgo was registered on February 24, 2011.
    The details are as follows:

Registration Service Provided By: UltraDomains.com

Domain name: websaidgo.com

Administrative Contact:
    -
    nigel .sharp (nigel.sharp31@yahoo.com)
    +1.2704364711
    Fax: .
    2724 Harper Street
    New Concord, KY 42076
    US

Technical Contact:
    -
    nigel .sharp (nigel.sharp31@yahoo.com)
    +1.2704364711
    Fax: .
    2724 Harper Street
    New Concord, KY 42076
    US

Registrant Contact:
    -
    nigel .sharp ()

Fax:
    2724 Harper Street
    New Concord, KY 42076
    US

Due to freedom of speech legislation in the US we have no recourse against spammers there and our authorities will/can do nothing to help. I know this because when my domain name was hijacked a few years back I called every government agency I knew, even local members of Parliament and I also contacted agencies in the US. Nothing eventuated so I had to pull down my site.

Anyway, I never use my real email address other than for family and friends and I never use email clients (so that the mail is never physically on my drive). I even read my primary email online through a web interface. I use separate accounts for work and I keep about 10 disposable accounts with yahoo. With yahoo you can create as many disposable secondary accounts as you want of the format (disposable_name)-(unique_identifier)@y...
    These are redirected to your primary account and can be deleted if and when required. Also yahoo offers spam guard. It seems to be working.

I'd check the registry for unwanted startup additions that may activate root kits or worms etc.

Avast (free and premium versions) and Sygate Personal Firewall have saved my proverbial behind on many occasions. Malicious websites are blocked dead in their tracks and programs that attempt to access the web are notified.

Finally, I would download a list of known malicious IP addresses such as those on this page: and block them using IPSeccmd (in Windows XP):

and include a list of know malicious web addresses in my HOST file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc) as follows:

Don't use 127. 0.0.0 (local host) as that will slow down the internet because 0.0.0.0 will be ignored localhost will not.

Sorry for this rather long winded response, but I thought it might be useful being complete.

OC
    Last edited by Optima Collins; 17-03-11 at 01:47 AM.

Thanks

Also, by clicking the "unsubscribe" link that they provide only confirms to them that your address is real and active. IGNORE and filter.

You'd probably find the New Concord address is a "virtual office". Were Nigel Sharp, most likely not his real name, has rented/prepaid a forwarding service. It's the normal thing to do when your real name is Choukachik, Mohammad, or Roaul, you live in some developing nation in a ghetto, and you want to make it rich (big time) from gullible westerners.

Ignore and filter.