Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waiting for Altech DSD4121 to B Fitted

Thanks

Default Waiting for Altech DSD4121 to B Fitted

I am at an age where this sort of IT is overwhelming (75) and have been given so many different opinions on what I can do and not do with the STB I am awaiting to be fitted (cannot change the box being supplied) I am just used to switching on the tele and using my NEC VCR to record whilst watching another channel, that said,what kind of problems and what is needed to achieve this action, My TV is a Conia 24" and it will be connected up to a sat dish that is supplying another TV in the home,I understand that I will have to have a STB (will be as noted), so all in all what will I need to record from this Altech UEC DSD4121.
    Thanks to all for any help. the TV tech will be here within the next week

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by live1936 View Post
    so all in all what will I need to record from this Altech UEC DSD4121.
    You should be able to connect the UEC box to the NEC VCR with RCA cables for the short term simple solution.
    You "TV Tech" should be able to do this for you as well as set the UEC box to the correct screen ratio for the TV, test the recording quality & explain the correct input channel on the VCR & TV.

There are endless other options.

Welcome to the forum, there is an abundance of information on here if you like research.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

But he won't be able to record while watching another channel with his current setup!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

live1936,
    In order to achieve what you want, you will need two VAST boxes. There's nothing out there at the moment that can let you watch something while recording something else. This is a common problem which traditionally could be solved by moving away from VCR technology and letting a sophisticated set-top box take care of everything. But this sort of freedom can't be achieved with VAST at this stage.

Sorry bud.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (11-03-11),OSIRUS (12-03-11),sat 49 (11-03-11)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    But he won't be able to record while watching another channel with his current setup!

Leroy
    I didn't say he would.

The question at the end was: "so all in all what will I need to record from this Altech UEC DSD4121."

That's why I said it was a simple solution, as there are many more that may be complicated, especially to record & watch different channels & as he is already overwhelmed, it may be best to K.I.S.

So, yes your right Leroy, he won't be able to record & watch a different channel with my simple solution, but he will be able to record & or watch at least one channel, without spending any more money. Probably should have said that in my first answer.

If life was perfect, the UEC VAST box should have been a twin tuner PVR

We could also go into LNB setup for the 2 satellite systems, but that's something the "TV Tech" should be able to sort out.
    Last edited by Tiny; 12-03-11 at 09:39 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by live1936 View Post
    I am at an age where this sort of IT is overwhelming (75) and have been given so many different opinions on what I can do and not do with the STB I am awaiting to be fitted (cannot change the box being supplied) I am just used to switching on the tele and using my NEC VCR to record whilst watching another channel, that said,what kind of problems and what is needed to achieve this action, My TV is a Conia 24" and it will be connected up to a sat dish that is supplying another TV in the home,I understand that I will have to have a STB (will be as noted), so all in all what will I need to record from this Altech UEC DSD4121.
    Rereading the above, is this VAST or TERRESTIAL ???
    One TV in another room of the house is connected to a dish (Aurora?) but the NEC VCR is connect to what ?? (antenna)'
    As there is no way you can watch 3 different channels at once on a single Aurora setup, this VCR/TV must be on their own (terrestial) antenna.
    Live, are you getting a VAST stb or a Terrestial Digital stb as your in Victoria and this is to replace the analog reception because if it is, this is an entirely different setup as there are PVR's availabe to replace the NEC. But even if this is Terrestial you will still need a Terrestial STB to connect to the VCR as it hasnt a digital tuner.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-03-11 at 03:37 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

My understanding is he just wants to be able to record from the VAST satellite box... no PVR option ATM, but can record a single channel via composite AV to his VCR.

Premium Member

Thanks

MTV, I saw that ok and thats perfectly clear but what is the NEC VCR/TV connected to NOW?
    I am again guessing live1936 is possibly a Pensioner and this is being done under the Centrelink offer to eligable Pensioners who dont have a Digital TV and will lose their reception when the analog switches off in June.
    But WHAT is being installed, is Live1936 in an area with NO Terrestial digital hence the VAST option or a Digital STB because his old TV has no digital tuner?
    I am sorry but you know there those out there who will tell you anything, just look at the 'Cowboys' who did the Roof Insulations, so called 'Tradesmen' who shouldnt be allowed to sweep streets.
    They all filled out the 'appropriate forms' alledging competancy and got 3 killed apart from near bringing down the Government and the 'Minister' (Peter Garrat) moved 'sideways' to where he is out of view.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-03-11 at 07:21 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    MTV, I saw that ok and thats perfectly clear but what is the NEC VCR/TV connected to NOW?
    I am again guessing live1936 is possibly a Pensioner and this is being done under the Centrelink offer to eligable Pensioners who dont have a Digital TV and will lose their reception when the analog switches off in June.
    But WHAT is being installed, is Live1936 in an area with NO Terrestial digital hence the VAST option or a Digital STB because his old TV has no digital tuner?
    I am sorry but you know there those out there who will tell you anything, just look at the 'Cowboys' who did the Roof Insulations, so called 'Tradesmen' who shouldnt be allowed to sweep streets.
    They all filled out the 'appropriate forms' alledging competancy and got 3 killed apart from near bringing down the Government and the 'Minister' (Peter Garrat) moved 'sideways' to where he is out of view.
    Could be either, but he has mentioned the VAST box right down to the model. He's clearly done some research or been given advice. Chill out, let the guy respond.

Premium Member

Thanks

smacca, its not a case of 'Chilling out' as you say but I asked just to clarify Live1936's needs so he could get the best and CORRECT information from the members here and you know none of us have any intention other than to give what assistance we can to anyone who asks.
    Live1936 has said he is a bit overwhelmed by 'This IT' and that is understandable and even those half his age are floundering with the digital changeover and how it will effect them and what is availble when it happens.
    As I intimated before, there are those out there quite willing to take advantage of such as he.
    I have an aquaintance in a large Vic town who was contacted by an installer for a digital STB under the Centrelink scheme and a date was set but they cancelled it and said they would call and make another time.
    She waited 2 weeks and rang them to ask when they were coming and it seems they had 'Forgotten all about Her'. I wonder were they that forgetful when they requested payment for the supply and Installation of the STB ?
    Those I have spoken to in my own area immediately assume I am talking about PayTV when I tell them about VAST and that it is by Satelitte and prompty say 'I wont have PayTV' or similar and they just 'switch off' so when that happens I just let tthe matter slide knowing time will come and they either go that way or go without TV.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Ok, now live1936 is definitely not coming back.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Wink

Wow, live1936 just wanted a simple answer, now we have covered that & some, all the way to the ridiculous.

It looks fairly obvious that he has moved from a Terrestrial supplied place to a Satellite supplied place & wants his own FTA TV & video recorder to work.
    Or am I reading too much into this
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Default live1936

Hi All, yes a pensioner and very angry that my wife went out and got a techy to fit a sat dish and fix up her TV with a vast STB, I just wish that she would have taken my advise and waited for centerlink to fix this mess up,as it now stands now wife is watching HDTV on her sanyo 26" and I have a tevion 14" connected to the normal antenna and a NEC VCR, I was quite happy to leave things alone,BUT come Mid May I wont have any TV (closing down the local mast)
    so I bought myself a 24" Conia with DVD and PVR, but it is not yet been taken out of the box, there will be no signal for HDTV from May this year in this locality PC 3711. therefore what I posted is the frustration of being without a VCR or anything that would have let me watch TV and record another channel
    and as I said in my OP the techy will be here sometime soon to connect my new HDTV to a vast STB, from what I have read up to now,my recording days are running out, thanks for all your imput, I appreciate it all. All my computer equiptment is in a separate room as is the TV,cannot stand to watch the crap my wife watches, I do like my own Remote control LOL

• The Following User Says Thank You to live1936 For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (13-03-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

live1936, its one of the few things guaranteed to stir 'the possom' is whose got the remote isnt it and Amen on the comment of your wife's viewing habits.
    Mine after 40 years watches the Crime Channel and Maternity shows.
    But back to business, firstly I apologise if I in any way may said anything out of place but your last post has made your rather annoying situation clear.
    As the others have said you can connect the VCR to the VAST stb BUT unfortunately you will need ONE VAST for the NEC and ONE for the TV to be able to record unless they get off their backsides and release a VAST stb with dual tuner PVR facility.
    There is however ONE piece of GOOD news and that is you only need the ONE dish to run (within reason) as many VAST stbs as you want, that I am sure will thrill you no end.
    And you thought Old age was them Golden Years, bloody not are they.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 13-03-11 at 08:58 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

live,

I realise it's frustrating, but why not put off the second VAST box installation until there is a PVR model available?

From what I've heard, that could be before the analogue shutoff.

Have you actually registered for the satellite installation subsidy?

If not, it may be worth a try.... nothing to lose.

Last edited by mtv; 13-03-11 at 11:50 PM. Reason: added info

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (14-03-11)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    As the others have said you can connect the VCR to the VAST stb BUT unfortunately you will need ONE VAST for the NEC and ONE for the TV to be able to record unless they get off their backsides and release a VAST stb with dual tuner PVR facility.
    I beg to differ Gordon, just did some investigating after reading live1936 last post. The new TV he has bought appears to have an inbiult DVD & PVR. ("so I bought myself a 24" Conia with DVD and PVR")

So 1 Vast stb connected to his new TV with DVD/PVR is all he needs to record, he won't even need the old NEC VCR.
    He will however need a powered hard drive or USB flash drive to record from the Conia as it doesn't appear to spec an internal hard drive, or alternately go for the option in my first post & connect the NEC VCR to the VAST box as well as the TV.
    He will have to put the VAST stb on the channel he wants to record or set an Auto tune in the VAST EPG for that program as well as set the PVR or VCR to record at the required time.
    He can record & he can watch 1 channel at a time, but he does not need 2 set top boxes at present to record.

If he wants to watch 1 channel & record another or record 2 channels at the same time, he would then require his NEC VCR connected to a second VAST stb & Conia TV, then he would need 2 VAST stb's & a Psychiatrist to sort out why he couldn't wait for VAST to release a stb with PVR & hopefully twin tuners.

BTW live1936, have your TV Tech connect your VAST stb to the Conia with HDMI cable for the best quality pictures.

I think that about covers it
    Last edited by Tiny; 14-03-11 at 11:08 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I beg to differ Gordon, just did some investigating after reading live1936 last post. The new TV he has bought appears to have an inbiult DVD & PVR. ("so I bought myself a 24" Conia with DVD and PVR")

So 1 Vast stb connected to his new TV with DVD/PVR is all he needs to record, he won't even need the old NEC VCR.
    Tiny,

Are you sure the inbuilt PVR can record from an external source? eg: VAST decoder.

Most TV's with PVR only function with the integrated terrestrial tuner, not an external source.

I had a look on the Conia website you linked to, but couldn't see where this TV has external input to PVR function.

Perhaps I missed it.... could you link to where it says this function is available please?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Sorry MTV, I have made an assumption that the PVR function would include the external inputs of the TV.
    If I'm wrong on that I apologise to all, especially live1936 if I've mislead him.

so he still has the option of my first post if the Conia PVR function is limited to the Inbuilt tuner.
    Cheers, Tiny

Premium Member

Thanks

So we're back to square one and that is a seperate VAST stb for every devise (TV , old VCR or standalone HDD/SD/Flashdrive recorder) untill SOMEONE releases a dual tuner STB.
    An expense not faced by Terrestial Digital viewers but one people like Live1936 will be faced with as the analog closure progresses.

Excuse the Parody but this 'Sounds like a Job for UECTECH' to perhaps contribute some of his employers plans for the future.
    I wont hold my breath for any announcement soon tho.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Just to help prove myself wrong I read the Conia manual & the PVR is restricted to its own internal Digital tuner, won't even record analog channels.

Very sorry to all for the assumption in previous posts, appart from my first post which is still correct.

Sorry Gordon, but you only need 1 VAST box for TV & VCR or Hard disc recorder, you can record & watch the same channel or not watch anything while recording 1 channel.
    You can also record from VAST while watching something previously recorded on some Hard drive recorders like the one I have.
    Last edited by Tiny; 14-03-11 at 06:51 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast