Thread: VAST lasts and Austar dies !!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default VAST lasts and Austar dies !!

We had a bit of a summer thunderstorm late yesterday and it blocked out Austar so I quickly checked VAST and all channels were running ok.
    VAST is connected to the Austar dish via a multiswitch connection.
    I was surprised to see VAST was uneffected as I thought C1 was of a lower output than D3 and would be more subseptible to atmospheric disturbances.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    We had a bit of a summer thunderstorm late yesterday and it blocked out Austar so I quickly checked VAST and all channels were running ok.
    I was surprised to see VAST was uneffected as I thought C1 was of a lower output than D3 and would be more subseptible to atmospheric disturbances.
    Possibly it was the Austar uplink that was affected.. or a glitch in the Austar box?

Either way, it's good to hear the VAST signal held up during the storm.

What size dish are you using?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Damn. I got all excited looking at the title of this thread, hoping Austar had finally ended. Oh well. :P

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Totally the opposite in Far Nth Qld. VAST signal strenght appalling on the 1.2offset. Looking at Austar on the same dish through a multi switch and its fine. Am told that further up Cape York you need a 1.8 offset to get sufficient head room with VAST.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

MTV, Standard 65cm Austar dish but both signals got 'drowned' (6.50pm) due to a quite heavy downpour and Vast was a bit slower returning (30 seconds) to a viewable picture.
    VAST just showed a line of dashes on the STB and a blank screen with a 'screen saver' type moving catouche or Lozenge saying 'Searching for Signal XXXXX mhz'

I dont think C1 was ever noted for its signal strength in the far north and it was one of the reasons other than remoteness that Austar didnt actively seek customers across the 'Top End'.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-03-11 at 06:58 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!