Thread: Buying 3790t from overseas

Thanks

Default Buying 3790t from overseas

I notice that 3790ts are about 25% cheaper in America (damn companies wh0ring Australians for bonus cash!).

If I buy a unit in America can I simply and easily download the unlocked Aussie maps and load them on no problems? Ie will I still get lifetime live traffic updates and all that (useless?) stuff? Or is there some kind of vital intrinsic difference between the US and AUS units?

I am loathe to spend $500 on one of these things when I just missed out on their lifetime map update promo...

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I have bought 2 garmins from the states even re registered one in my name the aussie maps go on no worries, I have found if I do a factory resore they default back to USA just have to go through the setup again
    Linton

Thanks

Ahh ok, awesome. When you say you re registered one in your name, what exactly did that involve and why?

I assume there's no issue with charging the battery (seeing as you do it in-car)?

You had no problems with the traffic update system?

Yeah it's to be expected that a factory restore would revert back to the US maps...

Thanks

sorry live in the country dont have xm traffic unless you are talking POI's which have all the redlights etc. yea they went on with poi loader, I had to ring garmin to register the unit for updates When asked where I got it I told them ebay quoted the serial and they put it in my name every now and then I get free updates for nth america handy eh! maybe I should go there

Edit: I have never used lifetime updates on my usa model but I did buy the 2009 maps and install them through map source now I just use the maps from pietu
    Last edited by dat260; 14-03-11 at 09:43 AM. Reason: forgot this

Thanks

I bought Garmin 3790T from Europe loaded with European Maps, is there a tutorial here on how to install Australian maps? I am just worried about screwing my unit up...

Thanks

use mapsource to download maps from computer or if you have the image copy to garmin via usb

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by olympicwiz View Post
    I bought Garmin 3790T from Europe loaded with European Maps, is there a tutorial here on how to install Australian maps? I am just worried about screwing my unit up...
    The 3790 can recognise img files (maps) with any name so if you want to add another map just rename it eg you have europe map (it will be called gmapprom.img and will be located in the .system folder (normally a hidden folder so set up explorer to view hidden files).
    Copy your new map of australia into the .system folder after naming it Aus_NZ_2012.10.IMG or similar.
    You need to add the unlock code (or use an unlocked image), gmap3d.img file goes in same place just call it gmap3d1.img (needs unlocking too).

If no space on unit just use a microSD card and make a directory called Map. Put the map image files in there.
    Also create a Garmin folder and in there make JCV/GS2/ASR folders, Put .JCV, .GS2 and .ASR files in each folder. No need to rename these as they have unique numbers.

microSD dirs
    /Map
    /Garmin
    /Garmin/JCV
    /Garmin/ASR
    /Garmin/GS2

Cycle unit off.on. Use menu to select desired maps.
    Cant do any damage but backup unit if you want to (make sure .system is backed up because it has your original maps and unlock codes.)

Don't ever reformat your unit, just copy and delete files and you can always copy back a file from your backup if you accidentally delete it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Fringe For This Useful Post:

Tiny (15-05-11)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

you may also need to uncheck " Hide protected operating system files" a couple of lines below "Show Hidden Files & Folders" in windows explorer as well, the Garmin ".system folder" is a protected operating system file/folder.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."