Thread: Power usage ?

Thanks

Default Power usage ?

Can anybody tell me the power usage (in watts) of the UEC Vast reciever ? - standby and on - my Grundig Aurora reciever uses 12 watts (12v dc) on and 3 watts on standby Cheers Pitscars

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

The standard UEC is a mutli MAINS voltage and show 0.03A on the rear sticker.
    There have been some advertised as having a 12 Volt input but thats either using an Invertor or a power board NOT made or approved for Warranty by UEC from previous comments made in the forum.
    As the display stays on and whatever power is needed to receive any OTA updates,
    I wonder is there any real power useage difference between 'Standby' and 'ON'?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

So 0.03 amp is 7 watts - not much - but I will still be turning off the receiver overnight - and for most of the next day ( we have a small solar system and leaving the inverter running all night just to power the STB is wasteful, especially with winter soon ) hopefully this will not be a problem like Aurora - I had to set up a 12v dc system dedicated to the STB so I could leave it on standby and not miss the encryption updates - from what I can gather from this forum the Vast transmission seems to have more updates - ordered my box today - so we will see !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thepitscars View Post
    So 0.03 amp is 7 watts - not much - but I will still be turning off the receiver overnight - and for most of the next day ( we have a small solar system and leaving the inverter running all night just to power the STB is wasteful, especially with winter soon ) hopefully this will not be a problem like Aurora - I had to set up a 12v dc system dedicated to the STB so I could leave it on standby and not miss the encryption updates - from what I can gather from this forum the Vast transmission seems to have more updates - ordered my box today - so we will see !
    Sounds like you will be using a small 12v system only for the VAST box as it needs the card to be up to date too.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

From what others have posted, the VAST stb doesnt seem to be as critical as Aurora is regarding being turned 'OFF' for extended periods.
    It will be interesting to see how it performs in this regard for you with limited power capacity so would you advise what happens after say a week of using it ?
    I think any info you derive will be of real interest to the Grey Nomads' and others in similar power sitituations as yourself.
    Maybe in time UEC or other VAST (hah!) stb manufacturers may release a 12V model at a future date.
    Another note to UECTECH for his employer..............
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

I do have 240v ac through my inverter - battery bank - and my Aurora setup came with a transformer power lead to turn the 240ac into 12v dc - but to leave the Aurora stb on standby I created a dedicated 12v dc supply direct from the batterys - any rate the new Vast stb is only 240ac so it will have to be turned "off" each night - will keep you posted as to how this goes - fingers crossed - cheers pitscars

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I don't understand why you had such an issue with your card not updating easily on Aurora. We live in a very high lightning area (rural) and pull all our power plugs each night, or before we go out.

I have not had to wait more than 5 minutes for my official aurora cards to get their E30 update.

Don't know why your cards should be so difficult?

Thanks

The only thing I can think of is that the card is very old - it was actually owned originally by Lady Holden (of Holden cars) and she would have had Aurora very early on.