Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best solutions for weak antenna (apartment)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The flylead in the link is a PAL to RCA cable, but it's esentially the same high-loss cable with moulded connectors I described, only black.

The thickness of the cable can be deceiving.... hiding what's inside, from view.

If you don't have this sorted within a few weeks, I'm happy to drop by when I'm in your area next (no charge) and measure your signals... then we'd know exactly what we're dealing with.

PM me contact details if I can help further.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

maDKient (16-03-11),urban_s0ulja (18-03-11)

Thanks

Once I get home I'll shall check what kind of cable it is. So if this cable is a RF cable normally used for VCR to TV, what's the optimal cable I should use. You already had mentioned the different series of Q cables but what exactly is that? A coaxial cable?

The current cable length is 20m (2 x 10m) from the socket to the bedroom. I guess that would be equivalent to a mile??!!

I'll keep you posted on my progress. For educational and entertainment purposes, always happy to contribute!

Thanks

Just saw your post mtv.

Thanks for letting me know what cable it is. That's the last time I'll shop at Bunnings for specialized equipment. It looks like i'll be returning every single thing I bought bar the cable ties haha. Oh those F-head to PAL converters are still useful right? Or should I return those as well??

I'm surprised no one has called me a n00b yet, usually forums are typically condescending in nature. This is a refreshing change, maybe there's more mature people here?!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maDKient View Post
    I'm surprised no one has called me a n00b yet, usually forums are typically condescending in nature. This is a refreshing change, maybe there's more mature people here?!
    You picked it like a nose mate

As a rule of thumb...

Those who go to the trouble of self help and a spot of google research tend to get the help, while those who want to be spoon fed usually get pointed to goggle
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

• The Following User Says Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

maDKient (17-03-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Everyone has to start somewhere and even the greatest in their field are only apprentices who managed to survive their training years without being blown up, set on fire or electrocuted.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

maDKient (17-03-11)

Thanks

Update:

While i was at work my missus decided to go to Bunnings and had bought me an amplified splitter. Again it was an ANTSIG, I was slightly miffed because she bought it without my knowledge. But hey you can't get angry at someone for the thought!

Anyway, I plugged it in and now success! I have all the channels for all TVs connected. I'm happy with the result but do wonder whether any significant and tangible improvements could be gained if I use devices that are apparently superior. So things like upgrading the current cables, purchase a diplexer, or a better amplified splitter.

One thing I should note, however, is I had two different flyleads. A white colored one i had was inferior than the new ANTSIG lead that I had purchased recently. So the moral of the story is get a powers splitter if you want decent signal from one antenna socket to multiple TVs and get good cables for the connection!

Thanks all for helping!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Technical speaking you should not need it because the amplification should be happening at the head end and the distribution system should be designed so that all outlets have an an appropriate signal level.

The trouble with amplifying at the other end (at the outlet) is that any noise picked up by the cable is also amplified, so you end up with signal + induced noise being amped
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

• The Following User Says Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

mickstv (18-03-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

You know the computer adage of Gi,Go or Garbage In, Garbage Out, in Radio terms whatever 'Noise' is present at the antenna, an amplifier/booster will happily increase that level equally as it cannot tell the difference between a wanted signal and the bloke next doors Fridge capacitor kicking in.
    You have found a solution which is working but I would suggest you still look into why you had to use the splitter/Amp where you have because if your staying there long term, the signal may gradualy get worse to the point of putting you right back where you first started.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fernbay View Post
    Technical speaking you should not need it because the amplification should be happening at the head end and the distribution system should be designed so that all outlets have an an appropriate signal level.

The trouble with amplifying at the other end (at the outlet) is that any noise picked up by the cable is also amplified, so you end up with signal + induced noise being amped
    Of course.... that's how the distribution system 'should' work, but there's an awful lot that don't.

How many hotels/motels have we all been to over the years and how many have had excellent TV pics in the rooms?..... very few, well, the ones I've seen anyhow.

Ideally, the entire antenna/distribution system needs to be checked, and quite likely, needs an overhaul to bring it up to digital specs.

I see this daily, but most owners/managers aren't prepared to spend the money at this point in time because analogue still works and there is a huge variation in distribution system setups.... from very simple splitting, to complex individual channel amps/combiners, etc.

Agreed, the suggestions powered splitters may no be ideal, but it 'may' help.

As I said, without accurate signal measurements and knowing what the antenna/distribution system is, it's all (educated) guesswork.

The latest distribution systems I'm working on use fibre optics &/or Cat6 and can carry all FTA terrestrial, satellite, data, phone, voip, security cams, video on demand, etc... all on one cable (especially fibre)..... but that's a whole new subject than what we're dealing with here.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

bodgie (17-03-11),gordon_s1942 (18-03-11),kevin1341 (18-03-11),maDKient (18-03-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Of course.... that's how the distribution system 'should' work, but there's an awful lot that don't.

How many hotels/motels have we all been to over the years and how many have had excellent TV pics in the rooms?..... very few, well, the ones I've seen anyhow.

Ideally, the entire antenna/distribution system needs to be checked, and quite likely, needs an overhaul to bring it up to digital specs.

I see this daily, but most owners/managers aren't prepared to spend the money at this point in time because analogue still works and there is a huge variation in distribution system setups.... from very simple splitting, to complex individual channel amps/combiners, etc.

Agreed, the suggestions powered splitters may no be ideal, but it 'may' help.

As I said, without accurate signal measurements and knowing what the antenna/distribution system is, it's all (educated) guesswork.

The latest distribution systems I'm working on use fibre optics &/or Cat6 and can carry all FTA terrestrial, satellite, data, phone, voip, security cams, video on demand, etc... all on one cable (especially fibre)..... but that's a whole new subject than what we're dealing with here.
    You're like the Yoda of electronics.

• The Following User Says Thank You to maDKient For This Useful Post:

mtv (18-03-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maDKient View Post
    You're like the Yoda of electronics.

Premium Member

Thanks

I'll second that but having met MTV, I think he is better looking. hahahaha
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-03-11 at 02:47 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

mtv (18-03-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    /me trying to make yoda voice..... You have learned much since last we met, Gordon

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (18-03-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    And probably taller!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    /me trying to make yoda voice..... You have learned much since last we met, Gordon

maybe you should start using your yoda voice when the log periodic discussion comes up again...

“Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."

• The Following User Says Thank You to beeblebrox For This Useful Post:

mtv (22-03-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beeblebrox View Post

maybe you should start using your yoda voice when the log periodic discussion comes up again...

“Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
    Just hope he never surfaces in these forums, mate.

Although, I'm pretty sure the mods here wouldn't put up with his crap.

Edit:. not Yoda.. he's fine... it's another 'alien' I'm referring to.
    Last edited by mtv; 22-03-11 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added info

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12