Thread: WinXP ethernet lost drivers

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Default WinXP ethernet lost drivers

I have now suddenly yellow question marks next to the ethernet controller, no driver installed.
    This computer is always off line and the Ethernet is only used to interact with external hardware, no virus or malware possible.

The computer finds no drivers on the WinXP SP3 CD and wants to connect to the the Internet (through the Ethernet card) to download them, typical Microsoft :rolleyes

I have installed WinXP countless times on countless computers and never had to download Ethernet drivers, or drivers for the keyboard and mouse for that matter.
    Can anybody tell me the exact location on the XP Cd where the drivers are or know another solution other than format c: ?
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Might be easier and quicker to get the model number of the board and download the drivers from the manufacturers website on another computer and USB them over.

Mickstv
    Last edited by mickstv; 16-03-11 at 11:39 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (17-03-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

deffinately
    put cpuz on it, get the model, dl the drivers
    unless the lan is kaput ? caput ? carpoot?

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (17-03-11)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Jawohl, I ended up doing that and the LAN was not kaputt.
    Still strange why the WINCD does not show up any generic drivers.
    I can not recall ever having to download or use specific drivers for on board Ethernet before.
    But I may have a spot of dementia and have become a bit spoilt with the simplicity of Unix-like installs and forgot that Windows needs new special drivers every time I change the direction of my mouse.
    WIN7 couldn't even identify my Logitech mouse so WIN7 still lies unused side by side with other more practical Operating Systems somewhere on one of my PCs
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

sounds like you might have a virus in the pc happened to me once and when i investigated further found a virus in the pc id reformat the whole hardrive if i were you!!!
    Self declared soccer nut

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_2045.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Jawohl, I ended up doing that and the LAN was not kaputt.
    Still strange why the WINCD does not show up any generic drivers.
    I can not recall ever having to download or use specific drivers for on board Ethernet before.
    But I may have a spot of dementia and have become a bit spoilt with the simplicity of Unix-like installs and forgot that Windows needs new special drivers every time I change the direction of my mouse.
    WIN7 couldn't even identify my Logitech mouse so WIN7 still lies unused side by side with other more practical Operating Systems somewhere on one of my PCs

Hi nomeat, I have no doubt that when you did the first install of xp it would have detected and installed as many drivers as it could find, but this only happens during a install.

Looking at one of my XP disc's pretty well all of the files are either compressed or extensions are different and I'm guessing this is why when you put the xp disc in it didn't find any new drivers.

Mickstv