Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signal Strength Vs Signal Quality

Thanks

...any other TV's in the house? - If yes; do/did they suffer the same problem?
    Do you have the analogue stations tuned in on the TV? - if yes; are they clear or is interference or low signal/grainy picture visible?

Are you intending to DIY or pay a pro?

Thanks

Measured with lg 32lb5610 tv DTV signal strength is about 54% an quality is about 60%. I have bough more quality cables and made sure that they are quality connected but the only benefit was getting 62% instead of 60% signal quality and strength remain on the same level. Then I have bought DTV signal amplifier and my signal strength jumped on 94% but the quality remained the same. I blame poor signal quality for periodical lost of signal for about 1-2 seconds and that is happening on every 40-60 minutes.
    Does someone knows what seems to be a problem with poor signal quality?
    Thanks in front
    nmeuncn

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

With all Terrestrial installations, the antenna is the first link in the chain, it must be designed for the band your receiving along with suitable 'Gain', correctly polarised and sufficiently high enough facing the transmitter to receive the incoming signal.
    Next is the connection point (preferably 'F' type weatherproof crimped connectors) between the antenna and cable followed by the cable, RG6 Quad shield or better.
    Next is where the cable is placed between the antenna and the first terminal point, be that the TV, splitters etc, with No kinks, bends of less than 100 mm, no staples compressing the cable if it has to be held in place.
    Avoid if possible running parallel with any power cables, fluro lights, fridges or HWS with thermo stats, A/C, heaters etc etc etc.

If after all that you still have a poor quality, blue screening/pixeling and an amplifier makes no difference, infers you are in a poor signal area.
    Several Forum members dont like any form of Pre amps (MHA's or inline) for the very good reason that all they do in some cases is amplify existing 'Noise'.
    You should check with your neighbours if possible and see what their reception is like because if its better, then you have a problem that can be worked on but if they have as bad as yours is or worse, no amount of tweaking will overcome a generally poor signal area.
    In a way this answers your question of Signal quantity/strength V's quality as you can have a fantastic quantity strength (boosted by an AMP) but the quality that contains the information you need to produce the picture isnt there, too many 'errors'.

If any part of your TV installation is more then 5 years old, I would seriously consider replacing everything from the antenna down including its location.

I just checked the Myswitch.Digitalready site and put in an address of 10 McKinnon Road Goolwa South and you are covered by 2 transmitters.
    One located in Adelaide 60kms to the North on Horizontal VHF and a translator located at Victor Harbour to the NE 20 kms away , Vertical UHF.
    While both show a general 'Good Coverage' of the area, there can be locations within that 'Footprint' of poor to no signal.
    Of course you may not be located under the 'Footprints' shown for both locations which changes everything.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 08-03-15 at 12:18 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nmeuncn View Post
    Measured with lg 32lb5610 tv DTV signal strength is about 54% an quality is about 60%. I have bough more quality cables and made sure that they are quality connected but the only benefit was getting 62% instead of 60% signal quality and strength remain on the same level. Then I have bought DTV signal amplifier and my signal strength jumped on 94% but the quality remained the same. I blame poor signal quality for periodical lost of signal for about 1-2 seconds and that is happening on every 40-60 minutes.
    Does someone knows what seems to be a problem with poor signal quality?
    Thanks in front
    nmeuncn
    Too many variables without being there with instrumentation.

More info may help.

Your location, type of antenna and cabling used.

Which transmission site are you using?

The more info, the better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Too many variables without being there with instrumentation.

More info may help.

Your location, type of antenna and cabling used.

Which transmission site are you using?

The more info, the better.
    I forgot to tell that my TV is on cable Digital TV. I am not using terrestrial signal or antenna. I am located in Serbia and the cable operator is "Radijus vektor"
    I do not know the brand for the cables but I can tell that they are high quality. Amplifier is some cheep Chinese. I am not even sure that is healthy for my TV and that is one of my question. Can amplifier damage my TV? Cables are quality connected all the way from the point they are entering my apartment to my TV. I do not know if they are quality connected to main CATV box since I do not have access there. Cables are near heat pipes but signal quality is poor even when heat is off.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

nmeunch, this forum is aimed at Digital Terrestrial TV and generally limited to Australia but if help is asked by those in other countries who have a similar system wont be refused but Cable is a whole different matter as there are so many different systems used and you as the customer, has little or no control over it except from the connection point in your home to the TV('s).
    Other than suggesting you use a good quality cable and connectors between the two, I think all we could recommend is you contact your Cable company if your having problems.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

nmeuncn,

Your post should have been made in the Cable TV section. (hence the confusion)

The figures you've quoted should generally be OK.

There may also be some impulse noise interference, such as motors and thermostats or other electrical noise contributing to the signal quality drops (although you didn't mention the signal quality figure when you lose reception.)

Being a cable service... contact your provider to report your issue.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12