Thread: Website names

Banned
    Thanks

Default Website names

Can anyone tell me (or steer me in the right direction ) on website names.

1) If I register ABC.com.au can someone then go & register ABC.com or ABC.org

2) Do the auDA policies only apply to .au names or all names registered in Australia

From what I've been told , at some time in the past there was a sunrise period introduced to allow businesses to register names that were pertinent to their business. I have also been told that the sunrise period has lapsed & all remaining names are on a first come first served basis.
    I have also seen a copy of the auDRP (dispute resolution policy) that states that all au names must be
    " an exact match , abbreviation or acronym of the registrants name or trademark " OR
    " otherwise closely & subtantially connected to the registrant"

There was no date on this auDRP policy so I don't know if it was only relevant during this sunrise period.
    So where can I get info on current naming poicies ?

thanks

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    Can anyone tell me (or steer me in the right direction ) on website names.

1) If I register ABC.com.au can someone then go & register ABC.com or ABC.org

2) Do the auDA policies only apply to .au names or all names registered in Australia

From what I've been told , at some time in the past there was a sunrise period introduced to allow businesses to register names that were pertinent to their business. I have also been told that the sunrise period has lapsed & all remaining names are on a first come first served basis.
    I have also seen a copy of the auDRP (dispute resolution policy) that states that all au names must be
    " an exact match , abbreviation or acronym of the registrants name or trademark " OR
    " otherwise closely & subtantially connected to the registrant"

There was no date on this auDRP policy so I don't know if it was only relevant during this sunrise period.
    So where can I get info on current naming poicies ?

thanks
    1. Anyone can register anything they want. You can register watchdog.com.au but there is nothing to stop me registering watchdog.com , .net, .org etc etc (only if its available of course).

2. .au names are the only ones subject to any regulations here.

Banned
    Thanks

So where do I get something in writing about this ?

Administrator
    Thanks

No idea

In the early days, you could only get a .com.au domain name from Melbourne IT , maybe try them ? These days there are plenty of companies selling .com.au and most wouldnt know shit about it.

I registered a .com.au domain for a customer a couple of months ago, it was very easy and basic (just like a .com or anything else. I was expecting it to be a bit harder)

Edit : Anything here ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    No idea I registered a .com.au domain for a customer a couple of months ago, it was very easy and basic (just like a .com or anything else. I was expecting it to be a bit harder)
    Sanity, I would have thought that an an ABN or business registration was required to register a .com.au address, but then I gather it would depend on who you went through with the registration.

Watchdog, we have registered a .com for the last 3-4 years through Google apps which costs from memory about $10US a year, which we use personally predomionantly for mail redirection. Totally personal use, but giving you this info - as may be beneficial to register and link similar .com address to the .com.au if you can. Obvioulsy, as Sanity has mentioned a different registry would adminster .com compared to .com.au!
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

you do need a abn for a .com.au
    its supposed to be related name wise with the business, but its not hard to get around
    i suggest if your doing your business, go .com.au $25\ 2yrs @ crazy domains or webcity
    then take the .com and or the .net for xtra $10 yr each if your paranoid of someone else copying you

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkchops View Post
    Sanity, I would have thought that an an ABN or business registration was required to register a .com.au address, but then I gather it would depend on who you went through with the registration.
    Duh , yeah sorry, that was the only difference

Thanks

auDA sets the rules for the .au namespace and the rules currently mean that anyone wanting to register a .au needs to have a registered business name, abn, acn, registered organisation, registered charity etc and the domain name that your registering must be an exact match, abbreviation or related to a product or service that you supply.

Although there are a couple of places out there which will register .au names for you without a valid business name or abn, if auDA find out, or if someone who has a business name puts in a dispute, you will lose the name to them.

There are no such rules for many of the other tld's such as the .net, .com, .org, .info, .co etc.

Do yourself a favour and stick to a .com if you dont have a business name / abn, or if you do go with an .au.

All the rules are available from
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    I suggest if your doing your business, go .com.au $25 2yrs @ crazy domains or webcity
    I was just wondering Phil; do you have a preference here? Pros? Cons?

Crazy Vs Webcity?

Cheers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

na
    only price
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

SCADA (02-07-11)