Thread: Can I or can I not?

Thanks

Default Can I or can I not?

Presently have Optus Aurora. Wheatbelt WA. Government website says we will be able to get Vast as we can not get a reliable terrestrial signal where we are. Also says:
    "If you are already receiving the ‘Aurora’ satellite television services via special permission, you can apply to transition to VAST and receive all the free-to-air digital channels available on VAST"
    Now our decoder is starting to freeze and reboot randomly. Would rather not buy another Optus box if I can get a Vast decoder and get it going, but the mention of "special permission" has me spooked. We just rang Optus Aurora up about 5 years ago and they took our info and turned it on. It's being working ever since.
    Anyone know if we would get permission or not?
    Any ideas folks?
    Last edited by lurk_relurking; 21-03-11 at 07:07 PM.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lurk_relurking View Post
    Presently have Optus Aurora. Wheatbelt WA. Government website says we will be able to get Vast as we can not get a reliable terrestrial signal where we are. Also says:
    "If you are already receiving the ‘Aurora’ satellite television services via special permission, you can apply to transition to VAST and receive all the free-to-air digital channels available on VAST"
    Now our decoder is starting to freeze and reboot randomly. Would rather not buy another Optus box if I can get a Vast decoder and get it going, but the mention of "special permission" has me spooked. We just rang Optus Aurora up about 5 years ago and they took our info and turned it on. It's being working ever since.
    Anyone know if we would get permission or not?
    Any ideas folks?
    In relation to VAST, special permission generally refers to terrestrial licence areas where there is inadequate terrestrial signal. eg: blackspot.

VAST is automatically available to anyone who has a registered genuine Aurora card, at a fixed address. eg: not a traveller authorisation for Aurora, although you can get traveller VAST authorisation now too.

HOWEVER.... VAST isn't available yet to WA, so you will need to wait until it is, before applying.

The government has not announced a commencement date, only 'early' 2011, which is rapidly running out.

The delay is due to commercial broadcasters considering installing terrestrial translators.

So to summarise, if you already have Aurora, yes, you will automatically be entitled to VAST when it's made available to WA viewers, or, if your area will have terrestrial translators installed, you will get terrestrial reception instead of VAST.
    Last edited by mtv; 21-03-11 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (21-03-11)