Thread: Firmware questions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Firmware questions...

Gday,

I am trying to learn about firmware.... Specifically how they are written... I am rather blind at the moment and would like to know if anyone has any info to add... Am I correct that the only true 3rd party firmware was the DVB2000 firmware for the Nokia 9500?.. I know there are many patched firmwares for most receivers, how is this done??.. I have some programming exp. with VB.NET etc but guess firmware would be closer to machine code or something written for a specific processor of the STB... I would ideally like to learn what the programming is, how to do it etc etc... I think it would be great to be able to write a DVB2000 style firmware for other boxes...

ANY HELP would be GREAT...

James...

2. Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

A good starting point would be to obtain a disassembler for the microprocessor used in the particular receiver concerned. Disassemble the software and use that as the basis for analysing how the software works.

Do that in conjunction with a block diagram of the receiver in order to gain knowledge of what the software is actually doing.

Thanks

Thanks mate, I haven't had the time to persue this lately but will look into it when I can.... I would LOVE to be able to modify the firmware in the DMR-EX71S as this is the satellite dvd recorder I have... Problem is that it is european and I cannot enter our sats in it only do scans to find the channels...

James...

Thanks

It's a huge project if your motivation was only that you just mentioned.

If this has happened, it is likely the author started from the ground up,
    already knowing the processor inside and out,
    and it just happened that they became interested in a particular device using the same processor.

A firmware modification can be a simple thing, adjusting a few values to disable a feature or change some text,
    for a non-encrypted or non-checksummed firmware file, but adding programmatic functionality is very different.
    Last edited by Art; 27-05-13 at 01:14 AM.