Thread: Help with setting up a UEC DSD4121 sat box

Thanks

Default Help with setting up a UEC DSD4121 sat box

Hi All,

I'm trying to help my parents set up their new DSD4121 over the phone

They travel around a bit in the caravan and the new box is an upgrade from their old Aurora setup.

Anyways, it seems the DSD4121 has no channels currently configured - ie nothing in the EPG. It does seem to have at least one VAST transponder already configured correctly, however if you go to Rescan or Signal Detection, nothing is picked up, nor are any frequencies listed on the Signal Detection page - Does this box sit and continually scan known transponders? I can't seem to find anywhere to force it to scan a transponder.

I believe the LNB freq is correctly configured at 10700mhz (supposedly worked fine with the Aurora setup)

I cannot be certain that the dish is alligned at C1/D3 (they've got a sat finder so it's pointed at something!) however we would normally confirm/overcome that issue by trying to tune a known channel ie 156 tune channel. If the Signal Detection actually listed a transponder, we could troubleshoot further.

As a side note, the firmware installed is v1.12 dated October 2010, and we've been unable to update this to the current v2.22 for some reason either. (might be a USB stick the box doesn't like)

The setup menus don't seem very intuitive and the user guide is total crap.

This is getting frustrating as hell. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

If they have the aurora box with them, use that to set up. Then swap to the UEC, connect up and power up, it should go thru a boot up and find vast

• The Following User Says Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

klacker (24-03-11)

Thanks

thanks viewer, so obvious (and easy) to confirm the dish allignment

will crack on with that see where we get to.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Once the decoder has sufficient signal, it should upgrade the firmware automatically.

It may need to be left turned on and connected to the correctly-aimed dish for some time, but it should receive the update.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

klacker (25-03-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

If your Aurora STB has a pass through for the coax, you can hook the VAST stb to that and tune in the Aurora to C1 and then the VAST can be activated.
    I did that with the Humax I use on Aurora.
    Once you get the UEC going, doing it next time will be no harder than it is for doing Aurora.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

klacker (25-03-11)

Thanks

if you have an UEC 990 then it most likely that they have a 11300 LNB. You will need to change the LNB setting in the DSD as it is defaulted to 10700. Once that happens all should be apples.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

viewer, reconnecting the old box confirmed the dish wasn't alligned to C1/D3. No real surprise there. The old box certainly assisted.

Now the box has downloaded some channels, reaming the dish when relocated should be straightforward with the signal detection page.

Sounds like it's time to wait for the firmware to come down OTA.

Cheers

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Glad to see all came together well..good on you.

Premium Member

Thanks

If they were able to set up the Aurora when traveling, once the UEC is fully enabled, I cant see why they wont be able to set this up just as easily.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Can anyone confirm The Vast STB can be easily set up by Caravaner's or Travelers ?

Without using another STB to find a picture by moving the dish ? (& then connect the Vast STB)

(I know we can use a Satellite finder ... but we don't know what satellite it is on, until it scans successfully)

I have noticed that the Vast STB will automatically re-scan at Start up,

I have also noticed that the Vast STB will only scan the (correct) Vast transponders,

& I have noticed if you have your LNB in the wrong "quadrant" (i.e. wrong Vertical &, or, Horizontal values) the STB will not find signal......

just wondering, because Caravaner's or Travelers will be a percentage of the customers of the UEC Vast STB,

(is it user friendly ?)
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

I am a traveller. I use a SATPLUS DIGI7 DIGITAL SATFINDER. It is easy to use. you need a finder because until the box finds a signal there is nothing and once found you get everything. A couple of times it indicated it was on a satellite but the box couldn't find a signal. Just moving the dish right or left a bit picked up the signal. C1 and D3 are close together so it is probably not hard to get the wrong one. I have set up half a dozen times or so without much trouble. I didn't have a sat system before the VAST and found it easy to set up, only a few minutes.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnic For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (26-03-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rodnic View Post
    C1 and D3 are close together so it is probably not hard to get the wrong one.
    It's actually impossible to point at one and not the other simultaneously, as C1 and D3 ARE together.. both co-located at 156.0°E

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (26-03-11)

Thanks

Hi Klacker

I have just posted another thread that could help your parents. "Easy Tuning of VAST for Travellers". Using the Aurora box as a work-a-round has problems if your parents free camp (running on battery) as so many STBs need power on to pass thru, plus there is the extra hassle of where to put another box and ventillate the thing. Unplugging each time is not a good option IMHO for oldies. The advice on them getting a Digi 7 is absolutely spot on and great for us almost past it!

Digi 7 Satellite Finder

I can remember saying many times you don’t need one! Well another U-turn! Because the data is not stored in memory you need to be roughly on the satellite for it to scan properly. The Digi 7 is state of the art and can be had for as little as $65.00 (also known as the 7777) Sadly we paid $107.01 Ouch! We leave ours permanently in the circuit as you can turn the sound off and we can’t see any obvious insertion loss. There is almost nothing to adjust either so it truly is idiot proof! You can of course use the old $25 analogue jobs if you have one and money is tight.

Box Quirks

RV’ers have different problems to householders. Unless you have a huge caravan or motorhome it’s highly likely that you will turn off the inverter whilst travelling. This means that when you switch back on if the dish isn’t aimed it won’t find a signal so it switches off. Charming! For some odd reason you may have to switch it on again twice. All is OK if you see “frequency” 12567 come up. With power left on you will get picture quicker than any digital TV as it remembers the last channel you watched. The really good news though is the brilliant current draw of just 15 watts – the lowest of any box we have ever tested and no other system gives you your local news when far from home no matter how much money you fork out! Absolutely brilliant and when recording eventuates it will be absolute perfection for all RVers and campers.

Take care

Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

An $8 satellite finder from Ebay generally does the trick

They're so cheap now that everyone should have one in their glovebox! I picked up a VAST receiver recently for someone from and was very happy with the service. If you contact then directly I'm sure they'll look after anyone on price.

Cheers,
    Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member

Thanks

quote : Box Quirks

RV’ers have different problems to householders. Unless you have a huge caravan or motorhome it’s highly likely that you will turn off the inverter whilst travelling. This means that when you switch back on if the dish isn’t aimed it won’t find a signal so it switches off. Charming! For some odd reason you may have to switch it on again twice. All is OK if you see “frequency” 12567 come up. With power left on you will get picture quicker than any digital TV as it remembers the last channel you watched. The really good news though is the brilliant current draw of just 15 watts – the lowest of any box we have ever tested and no other system gives you your local news when far from home no matter how much money you fork out! Absolutely brilliant and when recording eventuates it will be absolute perfection for all RVers and campers.

Take care :unquote

I must be missing something here in the translation but unless you have a 'Self Aligning' dish that stays locked on the Satellite while your traveling, you have to do a realign when you arrive at your destination whether you leave this switched on/off or swinging on the end of a piece of wet string.

Thanks

Hi all can you tell me what the pin is for this decoder

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by merkin View Post
    hi all can you tell me what the pin is for this decoder
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum