I've had a terribly bad run with ps2's with mod chips. Paid $150 to get my ps2 modded in january - the lens died 2 months later (i'd only used it for 2 hours). Bought another ps2 ($95)from eb games to get modded - installer said he'd double check the laser to see if he could just swap them, he merely flipped open the lid of both of them, said "nope that won't fit" then charged $50 for the "service". He ended up installing a mod chip (i supplied it) for another $100, when I got it back from the shop, it didn't work and the laser scratched any game I put in there. Non-refundable apparently, because it was a service.

Got onto ebay and bought a modded console for $100: the listing was removed after I paid (bank deposit in the guys' branch, so no hope of getting that back) - I can only hope for the best, since I've only had a reply from 1 of my 4 emails.

Anyway, does anyone have a modded playstation 2? Since I've paid $400 in my quest to find one (they simply aren't available in TAS), I just want to get one with a decent laser that will hopefully last a few months or more, and be done with it. Preferably one with a mars pro chip or modbo (i need to use the action replay max cd... matrix infinity apparently has problems with this). I've only been able to find consoles for $180-$280 at mainland mod shops, and one of the stores doesn't answer emails or phone calls.

I'd be greatful if anyone was willing to part with a console, I do have a 79002 here that I could send (but I've had trouble finding modbo/marspro install diagrams), but I'd just prefer to get another console and be done with it.

EDIT: The only advertised modder in TAS only touches 360s and wiis. According to him, it definately isn't a soldering job for a newbie such as myself, otherwise i'd give it a go.