Thread: Solar - what to do and where to go

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Solar - what to do and where to go

I have made up my mind to go Solar and want to go with a 5 kw system and take advantage of the premium tarriff offer.

What companies, panels and inverters can people recommend from personal experience ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

jok11n (05-04-11)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    I have made up my mind to go Solar and want to go with a 5 kw system and take advantage of the premium tarriff offer.

What companies, panels and inverters can people recommend from personal experience ?
    would like to know the same for Sydney if anyone can offer any insight

found this list of installer reviewss which I guess can help rule out any that aren't worth dealing with would be nice to know who you can deal with though as it is becoming a full time task trying to work out who to go with, I'm betting a great majority of these providers never existed not so long ago

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post

I can't suggest any companies over your way but as far as equipment goes mate you can't go past Suntech Pluto Panels and as you will need a 5KW inverter there is nothing on the market that compares to the SMA5000TL .
    You will pay slightly more for these high quality components but it will also ensure you aren't back here posting a disaster thread after being talked into buying "happylongtime" panels "GroodRuck" inverter with 25 year warranty promised by some Chinese company based in a 3 x 3 office.

Remember every company you talk to sells the best (just ask them) but usually what they are offering you is what makes them the best profit.
    AND if they won't let you think about it without telling you this is a one time deal that you need to sign now , find someone else.
    Last edited by Joey; 05-04-11 at 03:42 PM. Reason: more info

• The Following User Says Thank You to Joey For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A couple of tips when being offered panels and inverters.

Most companies will tell you the panels they are selling have "been around for years" ! ask for a customer reference , tell them you want to see an install that been using these panels "for years"

Disregard posts you see that talk about systems that have just been installed and doing big numbers! most panels will do big numbers when they are new , so you want to hear comments from people that have had systems for at least 2 years and longer for an honest opinion.

If you decide on certain brands like Suntech or SMA they both have bases here in Australia and have had long before there were feed in tariffs etc , they didn't just appear when the dollars did as 99% of others have.
    When getting quotes know what you are talking about and tell them what you want , these quality brands are available to any reputable dealer , don't be conned into "there is no stock" but these are just as good.

This is a serious long term investment , like buying a car they all have wheels and an engine and all do the same thing , but as we know they are all vastly different , especially a couple of years later.

When you do decide on a system and company you want to go with, only pay a deposit and the balance after installation. , you can also specify when you sign up that you be given an X amount of dollars discount if the system is not installed on the agreed date. ,Make sure this agreement is signed and witnessed.

one last thing , prices are going down not up , so taking your time to decide is not a bad thing.

• The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Joey For This Useful Post:

casull (05-04-11),croozer (26-04-11),gordonwh40 (07-04-11),jok11n (05-04-11),Rocket (06-04-11),Tradesman (06-04-11),vinal (06-04-11),weirdo (05-04-11)

Thanks

Sound advise Joey

Thanks

One suggestion.

Do not get Modern Group to quote or install. They wanted $41000 yes thats right fourty one thousand for the following.

16 x Panels 3kW
    1 x Xantrex 5kW invertor
    and installation.

The "Advertising Manager" could not even spell Xantrex either spelt it with a "Z"
    He then proceeded to call his manager not once but three times. to reduce the price. There best offer was $27500.

Yes these prices where with REC built in

I can recommend True Value Solar.

IN the end signed up with Total Action, Perth based company for $9300 installed

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Strada916 View Post
    One suggestion.

Do not get Modern Group to quote or install. They wanted $41000 yes thats right fourty one thousand for the following.

Yikes ! I notice they are starting to advertise more heavily.

Thanks for all replies.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Since we have had a change in the State Government in NSW on March 26, I am wondering if it might be prudent to wait to see just what they decide to do regarding all the previous Governments plans for Electricity.
    The risk of course is that they could cancel any current offers of rebates/incentives etc so its a 'Throw it in the Air' and see what happens.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

i agree Gordon , i'm waiting a bit longer myself. i'm only after a 1.5kw , got quoted $3240 plus $400 for the meter by Origin Energy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

I believe the Government subsidy will decrease by $1900 come 1st July.
    As far as I know the electricity buy back scheme will be honoured for 7 years from start date 2010 (in NSW)
    Last edited by weirdo; 06-04-11 at 10:33 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

jok11n (06-04-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

While I seriously doubt they (Govt) would alter any current existing gurantees already in place its how they can interperate the contents as they want being the Govt.
    I am hoping we may see some variation to the enforced installation of the 'Smart' meter or at least more options but Liberal/CoAlition parties have always veered towards the Big Business side of the equation.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!