Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UEC improvement or new gear timelines?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8DashP View Post
    . I'm assuming a 2nd hand Aurora card can be reactivated by anyone, any time, at any address, or would I be "using" the previous owners activation?
    To reactivate an authorised Aurora card, all you do is ring a 1300 number and when asked by the machine, you enter the numbers on the card using the phone keypad.
    The card should only get 'decativated' if its been Off Air for awhile unless the previous owner rang and cancelled it.
    Its totaly automatic, no questions asked and hopefully within a few minutes the card is up and running.
    BTW, the card has to be in a STB turned on and the dish set for C1/D3.
    If you have the 'Tuning Channel' showing on C1, your in business to do an activation.
    You would of course be using the previous owners details but these arent accessable to you or anyone else.
    Today I certainly would not be paying $90 for a New unauthorised Aurora card.
    A Second hand authorised card its worth exactly what the buyer will pay !!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 12-04-11 at 03:09 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Today I certainly would not be paying $90 for a New unauthorised Aurora card.
    A Second hand authorised card its worth exactly what the buyer will pay !!
    Well I just got told off over on the DTV forums for suggesting such a thing, as it's against the license agreement

The more I look into it, the more I think it's not worth the bother. I started looking for a cheap basic entry point, then I thought well, if I have a choice of better STB, then get one with a decent PVR, then I thought, well if I get a PVR, I want dual tuners, then I thought, we'll if I'm PVRing all this stuff, I need a good USB drive to go with it, and before I knew it, I'm paying $500 for all this gear! Then I thought, why am I PVRing all this stuff, I don't have time to watch, and I don't want the kids being vidiots anyway. Then I thought, I do way too much thinking

I need to find something else to do for two weeks, then come back and see how I feel, don't you think?

Russell

Thanks

Well I just got told off over on the DTV forums for suggesting such a thing, as it's against the license agreement

The more I look into it, the more I think it's not worth the bother. I started looking for a cheap basic entry point, then I thought well, if I have a choice of better STB, then get one with a decent PVR, then I thought, well if I get a PVR, I want dual tuners, then I thought, we'll if I'm PVRing all this stuff, I need a good USB drive to go with it, and before I knew it, I'm paying $500 for all this gear! Then I thought, why am I PVRing all this stuff, I don't have time to watch, and I don't want the kids being vidiots anyway. Then I thought, I do way too much thinking

I need to find something else to do for two weeks, then come back and see how I feel, don't you think?

Russell
    If you already have a PVR/VCR of some sort you can use that to record. It still means you need a separate UEC box for each TV and PVR, although you could possibly share a box with a TV.
    If you don't already have one, you will need a dish and the gear to use more than box. and more $$$$.
    Yep go out and smell/plant the roses for a couple of weeks.
    By the way, what area of the Southern Downs are you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rodnic View Post
    If you already have a PVR/VCR of some sort you can use that to record. It still means you need a separate UEC box for each TV and PVR, although you could possibly share a box with a TV.
    If you don't already have one, you will need a dish and the gear to use more than box. and more $$$$.
    Yep go out and smell/plant the roses for a couple of weeks.
    By the way, what area of the Southern Downs are you?
    All we have at the moment is a DVD and blue ray player, and 2 digital-ready (which is useless with no terrestrial signal) TV's. I'm happy to live with just the main point being setup with a box for a while, until better vast gear comes out. I could even run and extra 10m coax cable down our hallway to the bedroom, if I was really desperate to watch there instead of the lounge room

As we already have 2 points to the roof cavity, and wierdo has offered a dish, the only real extra expense I'm going to to wire both points is a couple of connectors, and a dual LNB instead of a single, which only amounts to a couple of dollars anyway.

I'm in Maryvale, 10 minutes from Cunninghams Gap - hence The blackspot. Wee in all the yellow zones on the license maps.

Premium Member

Thanks

Russell
    Those in the DVT forum are correct, it is against the so called 'Licencing' arrangements BUT it is a FTA service, no one is loosing money and you are in a 'Black' or No reception zone so again, I personaly have no problem with it.
    I do think as you have put up with no reception this long, why not wait untill your area does officialy switch over and see what equipment is available for you.
    Unless you really do want to play about with satellite reception, just sit back and wait a little longer.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

The only other worthwhile thing I can suggest is to still get the dish etc that you have arranged to do this weekend, and install it, ready to go. If you had a receiver, instead of pointing the dish at Optus C1/D3, you could point it a few more degrees to the right ( East) and get the fta ABC and SBS signals off of Optus D1.

Don't get downhearted yet, there are always a few things that come up, but you can do all this very cheaply for the time being. You can even just "play" with the system by banging a pole into the ground, and attaching a lead to it, running a tv and satellite receiver next to it, to see how easy it is to find satellites. When you get the drift with that, and how you fine tune the dish and find satellites, you will be that much more ready when you need to do the roof installation, taking your time and everything you have learnt.

Don't be put off yet...try this way first...good luck in whatever is your decision...remember...we have all done it before too, and are likely to help you a lot more with all the assistances that are available now.

This place will keep helping you.
    Last edited by viewer; 13-04-11 at 10:00 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (13-04-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Well I've put some feelers out about an Aurora box, so we'll see what happens.

Was just looking at typical cosrts for a new Aurora setup. It seems a box is about $70 - $90, and a card $90. That's a basic spec. Given the VAST box is better quality output, and assuming PVR option does come, it's not really that expensive. The PVR option is really the one thing that is holding me back on a UEC box as a starter anyway, as I don't mind spending the $270 if it's a long term option.

Certainly spending $200+ on a new Aurora setup doesn't seem worth it. Guess I'll wait & see what comes back my way. I'm assuming a 2nd hand Aurora card can be reactivated by anyone, any time, at any address, or would I be "using" the previous owners activation?
    You should be able to pick up a second hand receiver in the Buy Sell Trade area of this forum very cheaply....the market is flooded with second hand receivers due to the low cost of new HD ones. The hardest part is probably finding someone that will post something thats almost worthless due to its weight and size. Maybe someone with one is local to you ? Anyone ??

Genuine Aurora cards are registered to the owner. What channels you receive is based on your registered location. Aurora still runs the old Irdeto 1 encryption which means that there are numerous illegal gold cards about, they have done nothing about piracy even though it has been blatant over the last 10 years.

While you may post a wanted ad for a genuine Aurora card on Austech, you cannot post an advert for an illegal working gold card as it is against our rules. Just thought I had better mention that

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Aurora still runs the old Irdeto 1 encryption which means that there are numerous illegal gold cards about, they have done nothing about piracy even though it has been blatant over the last 10 years.
    Yes they have, that's why the VAST spec is locked down

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    While you may post a wanted ad for a genuine Aurora card on Austech, you cannot post an advert for an illegal working gold card as it is against our rules. Just thought I had better mention that
    Err, oops - OK. I did make a post in BST, but wasnt specific about the card as I didn't know there was a difference If it's bad, can you delete it? I can't edit it anymore I don't think?

Russell.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Err, oops - OK. I did make a post in BST, but wasnt specific about the card as I didn't know there was a difference
    Shouldnt be a problem then

Thanks

OK new take on things, since I've been drooling over the specs on the big PVR boxes.

Comments have been, that people are dumping their Aurora boxes and going to VAST. Can I ask the question, is VAST that much better than Aurora?

If we say I don't care about quality, so HD is not a reason, is the only other thing VAST offers, is the ability to see all FTA channels instead of the limited Aurora channels?

Is Aurora going to die in areas that are cutover to VAST, or will it still be available to everyone currently elligible, until the final cutoff in 2013?

What I'm asking is, should I maybe forget about VAST completely, invest in a spiffy new Aurora card and bell-and-whistles PVR, which will do everything I want just with limited channels, and worry about it all again in 2 years time?

It seems even if the 3 VAST suppliers start bringing out new stuff, the range of gear available won't be as mature as the current market for PVRs for a while yet, or do you reckon these other suppliers have got some fab gear just waiting to hit the market once they get VAST approval?

What do you reckon?

Russell.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,079 Times in 6,766 Posts

OK new take on things, since I've been drooling over the specs on the big PVR boxes.

Comments have been, that people are dumping their Aurora boxes and going to VAST. Can I ask the question, is VAST that much better than Aurora?

If we say I don't care about quality, so HD is not a reason, is the only other thing VAST offers, is the ability to see all FTA channels instead of the limited Aurora channels?

Is Aurora going to die in areas that are cutover to VAST, or will it still be available to everyone currently elligible, until the final cutoff in 2013?

What I'm asking is, should I maybe forget about VAST completely, invest in a spiffy new Aurora card and bell-and-whistles PVR, which will do everything I want just with limited channels, and worry about it all again in 2 years time?

It seems even if the 3 VAST suppliers start bringing out new stuff, the range of gear available won't be as mature as the current market for PVRs for a while yet, or do you reckon these other suppliers have got some fab gear just waiting to hit the market once they get VAST approval?

What do you reckon?

Russell.
    Is VAST that much better than Aurora?

YES...YES...YES and YES!!!

It's not just the HD channels.... it's ALL SD channels that have a huge quality difference over Aurora.

ALL Aurora channels are 4:3, so if you watch them on a widescreen TV, they will all be pillarboxed, or stretched to fit the 16:9 format.

Yes, you get all channels on VAST whilst Aurora is limited to the main networks and then the commercial channels are limited.

As I've previously explained, Aurora will continue until ALL of Australia has completed the analogue terrestrial switchoff, which is December 31, 2013.

There has been no decision made yet on the exact date after the analogue shutoff that Aurora will cease.

I much prefer VAST compared to Aurora, even if there is no PVR or multiple choice of equipment available... yet. I would find it quite a waste of money to buy a decoder and smartcard for Aurora when VAST is available.

If you don't care about quality.... eg: VHS tape quality, limited channels and 4:3 aspect, just so you can record it now and not wait for a VAST PVR.... then Aurora may suit you fine.

We know UEC has a PVR upgrade due for release soon, as for other manufacturers, I know Healing has a PVR planned, but realistically it could be at least another year away.

You know the current options, only you can decide on what suits you.

Premium Member

Thanks

VAST isnt better than Aurora, there is just MORE of it.
    I am not contradicting MTV's posting as I believe TV screen quality is in the eye of the viewer but when you have watched snowy analog, you reckon anything that you can watch clearly is good.
    All you get on Aurora is C7 and Imparja (9) ABC1/SBS1 plus a couple of other FTA channels.
    Check out the posting in this forum for the program listing for VAST and Aurora and you will soon see the programming differences.
    The Vast lineup is almost identical to the Terrestial Digital channels plus the State shifted ABC/SBS channels, the same as Aurora.
    And I totaly agree with MTV that to buy Aurora now unless they pay you to take it is a waste.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 13-04-11 at 12:45 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

There's always another option....

Keep procrastinating long enough and Aurora will no longer exist, that should make your decision easier.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (13-04-11),Tiny (14-04-11)

Thanks

but only for anyone east of the WA border

any word for us poor west MTV??

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    but only for anyone east of the WA border

any word for us poor west MTV??
    Speaking of procrastination.... as far as I know, the commercial networks are still in discussions about terrestrial translators for WA, so no date yet for VAST commercial channels for WA, unfortunately.

The way around the situation ATM is to register as a traveller.

Premium Member
    Thanks

What do you reckon?

Russell.

If you're wondering what the differences are between Aurora and VAST, check out this great TV Guide website created by Smacca

Aurora - With a genuine registered card, for your location, you can only receive the channels below (no GWN and WIN).
    All these channels are 4:3 format, and if you are currently not receiving anything, they are better than nothing. If so, it may be worthwhile thinking about what others have mentioned.

ABC 1 WA, NT, SA, QLD and SE.
    7 Central
    Imparja
    NITV
    SBS ONE WA, SA, QLD, SE.

VAST - Go to the website and click on your state location. These would be the channels you receive with VAST. All channels are widescreen and either SD or HD.
    You also receive news broadcasts from regional stations in central and eastern Australia.

As others have mentioned, there is no PVR version yet. There are talks about something coming available, but that is just that... talk. Why UEC didn't released a PVR version in the first instance is beyond commonsense, especially when PVR technology has been around for years. We even had Twin Tuner Sat Decoders that are PVR capable before VAST was available, but UEC release this restricted rubbish. Anyway, no point on crying over spilt milk, it is what was dished up. We can either work with it, work on ways around it, or wait for new models/upgrades.
    There are supposedly 2 other manufacturers coming on board, but when that is... well how long is a piece of string.

So ultimately it is your choice.
    1. Wait and see what happens with VAST and any possible PVR version or new models/manufaturers.
    2. Go the way of getting vast with the current restricted box, getting those channels listed on the tv guide.
    3. Buy a 2nd hand box and aurora card receiving those channels listed above.
    4. What others mentioned above, get a setup and start learning and exploring; as well as pointing to D1 where all ABC & SBS channels for all states are FTA. If you were this way incline, check the "FTA and Feeds" forum for what is/has been FTA.

What ever you decide, there are plenty of good people here that can advise on what gear, cabling, lnb, dish... you need to setup. All the best with your decision.
    Last edited by Xplorer; 13-04-11 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Thanks guys. I was aware of the channel differences, but didn't know about the 4:3/aspect ratio stuff, which is more of a concern for me than SD vs HD. Channel guides etc are also a factor.

Pointing at D1 would be OK, except I still need a STB, which comes back to the original question about investing in legacy gear. All of your comments have had me going to and fro about which way to jump, which in the end I guess means there's probably not much difference, as no solution is perfect. Given aurora is a 100% dead end eventually, and vast is a 50% inconvenience, I'm leaning back to the vast box, and taking my chances. I reckon one box now would tide me over until "something better comes along", and then when more choice is available, I can get my second point connected in whatever form it needs to be. I reckon I'll make my final decision over Easter.

Just one last thing. There is no real add-on PVR option for the UEC is there, apart from a dumb recorder which simply takes the AV stream as it is coming from the decoder live. All of the PVR Smarts which make them better than a tape recorder are ineffective because they are interacting with the sat signal directly, correct?

Premium Member

Thanks

The PVR's on the market are for Digital Terrestial only and unless they have AV inputs, you cant record off the VAST stb so currently your old VCR or whatver is the only way to go.
    Hang in there, Go for VAST for the time being as it wont be waste if in the comming months they release other models as you can put it to a TV for the kids or whoever.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

[QUOTE=8DashP;393470
    Just one last thing. There is no real add-on PVR option for the UEC is there, apart from a dumb recorder which simply takes the AV stream as it is coming from the decoder live. All of the PVR Smarts which make them better than a tape recorder are ineffective because they are interacting with the sat signal directly, correct?[/QUOTE]

Read the following thread ignoring the comments on picture freeze & ticking sounds as those issues were sorted out by UEC recently.

Last edited by Tiny; 14-04-11 at 10:34 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    The PVR's on the market are for Digital Terrestial only and unless they have AV inputs, you cant record off the VAST stb so currently your old VCR or whatver is the only way to go.
    Hang in there, Go for VAST for the time being as it wont be waste if in the comming months they release other models as you can put it to a TV for the kids or whoever.
    There's lots of PVR's on the market for satellite and also combination satellite/terrestrial PVR's available, however, you can't use a VAST smartcard in them.

Yes, you can use an external recorder, DVD, VCR, PC capture card, etc via the AV output from a VAST box, but as mentioned, it will only record what's displayed from the output of the box at the time of recording.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast