Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UEC improvement or new gear timelines?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8DashP View Post
    Thanks guys. I was aware of the channel differences, but didn't know about the 4:3/aspect ratio stuff, which is more of a concern for me than SD vs HD. Channel guides etc are also a factor.
    Aurora has only ever been as good as analog terrestrial, despite the fact it is digital satellite. In fact, only in the last few days ABC has dropped the now/next guide from Aurora, making it even more like analog than ever before.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

We cant turn it off early but if we take away the program guide, then you wont know whats on now or later so you wont want to watch it.

Sounds perfectly logical to me......................
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Well I found out our neighbor already has VAST, and he's very happy with it. So I'm chucking my lot in the VAST bucket.

Thanks for everyone's comments and help.

• The Following User Says Thank You to 8DashP For This Useful Post:

viewer (15-04-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Aurora has only ever been as good as analog terrestrial, despite the fact it is digital satellite. In fact, only in the last few days ABC has dropped the now/next guide from Aurora, making it even more like analog than ever before.
    Yes - remember when BIMAC was phased out all those years ago and replaced by the so called new digital service; I think it was on Optus B3 in those days. I rushed out to purchase my new UEC digital box and put it side by side with the BIMAC (during the changeover period) and could'nt tell the difference between the two.

Aurora served its purpose in those days in brining more commercial channels to the bush but really started to unravel when widescreen tellys were introduced as the 4:3 aspect ratio could'nt handle the extra screen size.

Thanks

Following is a reply from Strong in response to a query from a Caravaners Forum member.

"Re: strong digital sat box

Postby pelbo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:48 am
    Sorry about the delay but have been out of range of 3G. This is the reply I got 2 days ago:

Thanks for your positive feedback regarding our products.

We are looking at developing a VAST receiver but are waiting for the official specifications to be released by the government. You may know that UEC had an exclusive arrangement to supply VAST receivers which ended on 31st March 2011.
    As soon as the specifications are released to us we can begin development of a VAST model.
    Please continue to visit our website at for any updates.

Best regards,
    Jim Kaneleas

Product Manager"

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rodnic For This Useful Post:

MalleyFowl (16-04-11),sat 49 (15-04-11),Tiny (16-04-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rodnic View Post
    Following is a reply from Strong in response to a query from a Caravaners Forum member.

"Re: strong digital sat box

Postby pelbo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:48 am
    Sorry about the delay but have been out of range of 3G. This is the reply I got 2 days ago:

Thanks for your positive feedback regarding our products.

We are looking at developing a VAST receiver but are waiting for the official specifications to be released by the government. You may know that UEC had an exclusive arrangement to supply VAST receivers which ended on 31st March 2011.
    As soon as the specifications are released to us we can begin development of a VAST model.
    Please continue to visit our website at for any updates.

Best regards,
    Jim Kaneleas

Product Manager"
    As per my comment about this same post in your other thread... it's great news.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    As per my comment about this same post in your other thread... it's great news.
    I wasn't sure who reads what so I put the post in a couple of threads and as in the other thread, 'Third Party Receivers', just to muddy the waters following is a reply from Satplus.

"UEC have the contract until June (or close to) or 30,000 units, whatever comes first. I'm not sure you'll ever see Strong come out with a compatible VAST unit. My guess is Hills and then Nationwide as suppliers.

Regards
    John Gemmell
    SatPlus Queensland
    11/39 Cessna Drive
    Caboolture
    Queensland 4510
    P: (07) 5495 7674
    F: (07) 5495 7107
    e: john@satplus.com.au"

Premium Member

Thanks

They must write these 'Exlusivity' contracts in Rubber Ink (March now June) along with the forecasts of when areas (WA) are to be allowed access to VAST.

Repeat I would be interested to find out how many currently Authorised Aurora cards are in use throughout OZ now.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Very good reading guys,keep up the good work.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8DashP View Post
    Well I found out our neighbor already has VAST, and he's very happy with it. So I'm chucking my lot in the VAST bucket.

Thanks for everyone's comments and help.
    Hi,
    No worries with help, you do whats best for yourself, that's what's important.

Are you going to do a self installation as contemplated before, or just get someone to do it for you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    Hi,
    No worries with help, you do whats best for yourself, that's what's important.

Are you going to do a self installation as contemplated before, or just get someone to do it for you?
    Self-install. All the gear is ordered, just have to wait for it to show up from the 4 or 5 different places I ordered from If I run into trouble getting the mount on the roof, there is someone local who has done some for others that I might be able to get help from, but as long as I don't slip off the roof, I think I'll have it covered. Should be a piece of cake compared to the Chimney.

Russell.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I live rurally as well, and have a cliplock tin roof.

I am up on it fairly regularly, due to cleaning the gutters for our drinking water supply.

I have always found a good set of tennis shoes/runners to give good grip, as well as ensuring I don't start too early when it ia still damp from overnight, or finish too late, when the roof is starting to dampen from dew etc. I always walk on the screw line as well, giving more grip. It's also handy to have something like a bum bag to put your tools into as well.

Lastly, I always make sure someone else is at home when I do this, and we use the intercom on our two cordless home phones to communicate to each other, having them on loudspeaker.

Some may say this is a bit over the top, but I don't have any safety harness etc, and I am not a professional, doing this as a ametuer only.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    I live rurally as well, and have a cliplock tin roof.

I am up on it fairly regularly, due to cleaning the gutters for our drinking water supply.

I have always found a good set of tennis shoes/runners to give good grip, as well as ensuring I don't start too early when it ia still damp from overnight, or finish too late, when the roof is starting to dampen from dew etc. I always walk on the screw line as well, giving more grip. It's also handy to have something like a bum bag to put your tools into as well.

Lastly, I always make sure someone else is at home when I do this, and we use the intercom on our two cordless home phones to communicate to each other, having them on loudspeaker.

Some may say this is a bit over the top, but I don't have any safety harness etc, and I am not a professional, doing this as a ametuer only.
    Thanks for the tips. Yeah the workboots I have are too hard to have any grip on colourbond. I'll have to look around for some soft soles. I was also thinking of those rubber bath mats as something to sit down on while doing the antenna alignment process. It'll be a family affair, with my wife holding the ladder, and my boys helping inside the roof to get the cable out too, so there'll be plenty of bodies around during the process

Premium Member

Thanks

If its metal roof, always walk on the line of screws/nails etc as the batten is under there.
    Good firm fitting shoes with a good gripping sole is essential, no loose or flapping clothes and if you smoke, leave them and the lighter inside untill after your finished.I had an old plastic bucket with a rope attatched to put all the tools in, climb the ladder then pull up the bucket,had a bit of wire bent into a hook to attach to the ladder rung, very handy.
    Even a rope thrown over the roof and SECURELY attatched to a suitable anchor but NOT the car's bumper please unless you have a video camera ready and you send us pics of your flying off.

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123