Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UEC improvement or new gear timelines?

Thanks

Default UEC improvement or new gear timelines?

Hi Folks,

I'm a satellite newbie, as those who have seen my thread in the newbies forum I'm sure realise.

I'm looking at setting up my own Sat TV service, mainly to recieve VAST, and I'd really like a PVR option. My timeline is to get my 2 existing unused antenna points converted ti a Satellite setup, and attached to a dish over the next 4 - 6 weeks.

Given this timeline, and the rumours I've seen here and elsewhere that UEC may be releasing a PVR firmware update, and other rumours that other manufactures may be coming out with a new model "soon", I'm wondering whether I should hold out as long as possible in deciding on an STB, or whether its likely that the UEC will still be the only choice for at least 2 months, in which case I'd bite the bullet and get the UEC anyway.

Given I have 2 points to connect, I could go with the UEC as a starter and live with one live point for now, then hopefully checkout anything new before we want to use the second point.

I know no one probably has a hard answer on this, but even opinions will do as to what likely timelines I'm looking at before anything changes from the current status quo.

Thanks. Russell.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8DashP View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm a satellite newbie, as those who have seen my thread in the newbies forum I'm sure realise.

I'm looking at setting up my own Sat TV service, mainly to recieve VAST, and I'd really like a PVR option. My timeline is to get my 2 existing unused antenna points converted ti a Satellite setup, and attached to a dish over the next 4 - 6 weeks.

Given this timeline, and the rumours I've seen here and elsewhere that UEC may be releasing a PVR firmware update, and other rumours that other manufactures may be coming out with a new model "soon", I'm wondering whether I should hold out as long as possible in deciding on an STB, or whether its likely that the UEC will still be the only choice for at least 2 months, in which case I'd bite the bullet and get the UEC anyway.

Given I have 2 points to connect, I could go with the UEC as a starter and live with one live point for now, then hopefully checkout anything new before we want to use the second point.

I know no one probably has a hard answer on this, but even opinions will do as to what likely timelines I'm looking at before anything changes from the current status quo.

Thanks. Russell.
    Russell,

UEC haven't given a definite date on the PVR firmware update yet, but it's not far off Im told.

As for other manufacturers of VAST decoders, no news there... it looks like a longer wait than we'd hoped on that one.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I have read your other threads...you have certainly had some active replies there.

My opinion would be to wait for a while, and in the meantime, see if someone wants to offload 2 x aurora receivers with cards ( many have swapped to vast and are selling) to keep you going until new VAST receivers are sorted out.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Also don't forget that the Vast card will not work in any other STB yet...

(except the UEC STB)
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    I have read your other threads...you have certainly had some active replies there.

My opinion would be to wait for a while, and in the meantime, see if someone wants to offload 2 x aurora receivers with cards ( many have swapped to vast and are selling) to keep you going until new VAST receivers are sorted out.
    Yeah you guys have been great answering. I hope I haven't worn out the welcome wagon

Isn't Aurora subscription as well? I'll have to read up on it.

Regarding the STB and card being locked, yeah I saw that, but given it seems to be a requirement of the spec, is there any hope of that changing in the future, regardless of who makes the STB's?

Thanks

Yeah you guys have been great answering. I hope I haven't worn out the welcome wagon

Regarding the STB and card being locked, yeah I saw that, but given it seems to be a requirement of the spec, is there any hope of that changing in the future, regardless of who makes the STB's?
    I see you are on the southern downs in Qld. Do you presently get TV by terrestrial transmitters? Aurora is not subscription but FTA, which VAST is replacing. Have you checked if you are eligible to receive VAST

Administrator
    Thanks

VAST is replacing Aurora (aften completion of the analogue terrestrial shutoff is complete at the end of 2013) and Aurora only has the main network channels. eg: no ABC2, SBS2 ABC24, Go, ONEHD etc.

Yes, Aurora does require an activated smartcard, but you can purchase a card-only with Aurora and it will work in most sat boxes, unlike VAST.

You're correct, that the VAST spec is for card/box to be locked together, so it doesn't appear that arrangement will be any different when/if other suppliers release a VAST decoder/card.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rodnic View Post
    I see you are on the southern downs in Qld. Do you presently get TV by terrestrial transmitters? Aurora is not subscription but FTA, which VAST is replacing. Have you checked if you are eligible to receive VAST
    We had our house built with 2 standard antenna points, but they lead to bare cable in the roof cavity. We are in a terrestrial black spot, so
    never bothered with an antenna, and I heard Aurora was a limited service so didn't go that route either. When I saw VAST was going to be all FTA channels, I figured it was worth looking into again.

I checked our eligibility on the digital ready site last week, and it said we're elligible.

Russell.

Thanks

We had our house built with 2 standard antenna points, but they lead to bare cable in the roof cavity. We are in a terrestrial black spot, so
    never bothered with an antenna, and I heard Aurora was a limited service so didn't go that route either. When I saw VAST was going to be all FTA channels, I figured it was worth looking into again.

I checked our eligibility on the digital ready site last week, and it said we're elligible.

Russell.
    OK. So all you need to decide is how much you, or the family, want/need TV. You could wait forever for that "new and improved" model.

Administrator
    Thanks

We had our house built with 2 standard antenna points, but they lead to bare cable in the roof cavity.
    Providing the coax is of sufficient quality (eg: RG6 Quadshield/trishield, even some dualshield) it can be used for satellite, but naturally, you'll need to convert the outlets to F type if they are PAL.

Banned
    Thanks

If you go to Aurora, you will get all the states (Qld,NSW WA etc) ABC and SBS services, as well as access to 7Central ( virtually the same as 7 or Prime, all 7 programming) and Imparja ( all channel 9 programming). Usually you see a few ads here on the buy/sell forum for box and card...you could even do a wanted ad there, saying you need 2 off, and someone may have a special deal, wink wink, that may get you by before jumping onto VAST. VAST though, gives you exactly the same as your terrestrial stations available in your area..eg Ten HD, GEM, GO etc....Aurora doesn't have these.

Thanks

OK. So all you need to decide is how much you, or the family, want/need TV. You could wait forever for that "new and improved" model.
    Heh yeah. Need - not at all. Want, slightly. What I really want is to kill our $20/month bigpond DVD subscription, and replace it with some "free" entertainment. That's my goal and the sooner I do it, the sooner bigpond miss out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Providing the coax is of sufficient quality (eg: RG6 Quadshield/trishield, even some dualshield) it can be used for satellite, but naturally, you'll need to convert the outlets to F type if they are PAL.
    Yep, got all that covered already. It's RG6UQ, although I will need to extend one run unfortunately.

Regarding Aurora, I can see the sense in waiting for VAST a while I'd there is definitely sownthing better coming along, but I'm not sure about investing in what will soon be legacy gear, and in the long run increasing my total cost if ownership. What happens to Aurora at the digital cutover?

I'll checkout the classifieds and see what aurora gear might set me back.

Banned
    Thanks

Here's someone who might have EXACTLY what you want CHEAP

Thanks

I recently purchased a S/H receiver suitable for Aurora (UEC 990 ex SelecTV) via eBay for $20 including postage. I just wanted to put a TV into our staff quarters without paying much. I used an existing dish (ex A*star). I had to plug in the lnb settings (10700 offset) and the 'home' frequency etc for Aurora which I copied off another Aurora box (can't remember that detail off the top of my head). Works fine and should allow viewing until late 2013.

regards

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    Here's someone who might have EXACTLY what you want CHEAP

Thanks. Awaiting forum verification before I can follow up.

Browsing around eBay, haven't seen any $20 bargains, I think about $50-$70 was the cheapest, but not sure I'd they have a card.

Looking on the trade forum here, I didn't see a lit cheap, but browsing on the iPhone is kind of tricky.

Banned
    Thanks

Put up a wanted ad in the buy sell trade, saying you want aurora box n card..

Thanks

Well I've put some feelers out about an Aurora box, so we'll see what happens.

Was just looking at typical cosrts for a new Aurora setup. It seems a box is about $70 - $90, and a card $90. That's a basic spec. Given the VAST box is better quality output, and assuming PVR option does come, it's not really that expensive. The PVR option is really the one thing that is holding me back on a UEC box as a starter anyway, as I don't mind spending the $270 if it's a long term option.

Certainly spending $200+ on a new Aurora setup doesn't seem worth it. Guess I'll wait & see what comes back my way. I'm assuming a 2nd hand Aurora card can be reactivated by anyone, any time, at any address, or would I be "using" the previous owners activation?

Thanks

Just on PVR enabled UEC box, will they be bringing out a dual tuner model? If the current one is updated to PVR you would obviously need 2 boxes to be able to record a different channel to the one you are watching.

Thanks

Just on PVR enabled UEC box, will they be bringing out a dual tuner model? If the current one is updated to PVR you would obviously need 2 boxes to be able to record a different channel to the one you are watching.
    Ahh true I hadnt considered only 1 tuner in the current box. I can forsee a need in our family to record both when we are not there or asleep (so 1 tuner would suffice), and when programs clash (needing multiple tuners). SO a firmware update isn't going to fix the second problem *sigh*

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast