Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAST box install - only one channel

Thanks

Default VAST box install - only one channel

Have just installed a new VAST box to an existing Aurora dish and got no signal. Looked at Sat Inst Freq 12567 S Rate 30000 FEC 3/5 Pol V ....OK
    LNB 1) USB type Single 2)LNB Freq 10700 3)Accept as in the picture on page 5 Basic users guide Ver2.0. Tried another box at home and on LNB menu 1) LNB POWER ... ON 2) as 1) etc above. So this time four options.
    I suspect, therefore, that the power to the LNB was not on at the other box. What have I missed?
    Also, although not registered yet, I thought that you got ABC and SBS. I could only get ABC3 SE and that went off the air at c9.00pm and NO SBS.
    Any thoughts. Thanks.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tasman View Post
    Have just installed a new VAST box to an existing Aurora dish and got no signal. Looked at Sat Inst Freq 12567 S Rate 30000 FEC 3/5 Pol V ....OK
    LNB 1) USB type Single 2)LNB Freq 10700 3)Accept as in the picture on page 5 Basic users guide Ver2.0. Tried another box at home and on LNB menu 1) LNB POWER ... ON 2) as 1) etc above. So this time four options.
    I suspect, therefore, that the power to the LNB was not on at the other box. What have I missed?
    Also, although not registered yet, I thought that you got ABC and SBS. I could only get ABC3 SE and that went off the air at c9.00pm and NO SBS.
    Any thoughts. Thanks.
    As you said, possibly power not on to the LNB, or you had a different LNB LO eg: 11300.

ABC3 isn't encrypted ATM but you should be able to get the info channel (800)
    All ABC/SBS channels now require activation (as do the commercial channels if you are eligible).

Thanks

Thanks MTV. When I installed my first box at home in ?January, I immediately had ABC and SBS and the others after activation. Yes I got Ch800. What about the bit about the LNB. Only three lines Single/10700/accept and the four I mentioned. The boxes were bought at different times, 2+1. Could there have been a change of software? I presume in some circumstances, you would not want the box sending voltage to the LNB, hence the option to have powewr on or off, but that option was not apparent on the box that said no signal. Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tasman View Post
    Thanks MTV. When I installed my first box at home in ?January, I immediately had ABC and SBS and the others after activation. Yes I got Ch800. What about the bit about the LNB. Only three lines Single/10700/accept and the four I mentioned. The boxes were bought at different times, 2+1. Could there have been a change of software? I presume in some circumstances, you would not want the box sending voltage to the LNB, hence the option to have powewr on or off, but that option was not apparent on the box that said no signal. Thanks!
    Yes, there has been firmware changes and the 'out of the box' ABC/SBS operation is no longer... you have to register the box for access.

The boxes usually have the LNB setting on 10700 by default, so I was just wondering if you had an 11300 or universal LNB instead of a 10700, which would result in the decoder not picking up signal if the wrong LNB value was set.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tasman (15-04-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I always wondered why the option to turn OFF the LNB power because without it, you 'Dont Get Nuttin'.
    When I first got Austar(Galaxy), it was the norm if you had a second STB to turn the power off on one box but as an installer told me when I had a second one added if the Power ON STB had a problem and went off, you had no signal so you now had 2 'dead STB's and no TV and in those days, with no telephone support as there is today you just went without untill they called to sort things out.
    He said the "off' power was done because they thought the LNB would be overloaded but as it turned out there was no problem at all so as long as all the STB's are using the same polarity you could a 100 stb's all happily running on one LNB with power ON.
    Maybe in some situations there is a need to be able to turn off the LNB power.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tasman (16-04-11)

Thanks

Slight change of subject, but thought this might be of interest. Logged onto mysttv and registered both boxe's cards in the new owner's name and by the time I got to the TV, the box was fully operational. The one (that started this thread) I plugged in tonight. Went to mysattv and did the 'reactivation' and almost immediately it was connected to all channels. The site said 'You have been activated for ABC and SBS'. So this part of the process seems to be running AOK. Cheers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tasman For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (20-04-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The boxes usually have the LNB setting on 10700 by default, so I was just wondering if you had an 11300 or universal LNB instead of a 10700, which would result in the decoder not picking up signal if the wrong LNB value was set.
    So that would explain why I am getting no signal then?????
    My LNB is a universal.
    I had wondered aboutt that as I could not find the universal setting on the VAST box, only horiz or vert.
    So I am guessing I need a different LNB?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandgroper1 View Post
    So that would explain why I am getting no signal then?????
    My LNB is a universal.
    I had wondered aboutt that as I could not find the universal setting on the VAST box, only horiz or vert.
    So I am guessing I need a different LNB?
    The VAST box LNB menu doesn't show an option for Universal, just Single and Dual.

To use a universal LNB, select Dual, you will then see additional fields that allow for input of the low and high universal switching frequencies, usually 9750 for low and 10600 for high (also known as 9.75GHz and 10.60GHz.

Unlike a fixed-frequency local oscillator LNB, universal LNB's have a tone-operated switch which selects between two LO frequencies, which cover a wider frequency range than a single LO LNB.

VAST currently only uses transponder frequencies in the higher range, but it's possible that may change in the future (eg: like how Foxtel/Austar migrated most channels to Optus D3, using lower transponder frequencies, requiring a change from an 11300 to 10700 LNB. A universal LNB would also work for those new lower frequencies, but both Foxtel/Austar decoders don't support universal LNB settings.)

So currently for VAST, you can use either a 10700 or 11300 'single' LNB, or a 'dual' universal LNB.

There is confusion with the single/dual terminology, because we commonly think of a dual LNB as one with dual outputs eg: Foxtel/Austar type.

In this case, VAST refers to 'dual' as meaning dual LO frequency ranges, not dual output.

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (27-04-11),jonnyath (17-06-11),nfnovice (27-04-11),OSIRUS (27-04-11),Sandgroper1 (27-04-11),Tasman (28-04-11),Tiny (28-04-11),william10 (27-04-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    There is confusion with the single/dual terminology, because we commonly think of a dual LNB as one with dual outputs eg: Foxtel/Austar type.

In this case, VAST refers to 'dual' as meaning dual LO frequency ranges, not dual output.
    Spot on MTV
    I like to refer to them as twin output LNB's
    with dual frequency

then there is dual polarity as well
    Dm500, DM5620, DM600 x2, DM7000 x1, DM7020, DM7025, DM800, VU+DUO and a partridge in a pear tree
    All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing

• The Following User Says Thank You to nfnovice For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (27-04-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nfnovice View Post
    Spot on MTV
    I like to refer to them as twin output LNB's
    with dual frequency

then there is dual polarity as well
    Yep... it can be quite confusing, especially for newbies.

Even for the experienced, when purchasing an LNB, you often have to check what a seller means by their description of a particular LNB, as there can easily be confusion bewteen what they think a particular term means and what other people think the same term means.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (27-04-11),Sandgroper1 (27-04-11)

Thanks

Well after my last post I went and changed the setting to dual lnb with 10700 as both high and lo.
    I now have reception which is great but I(and I am guessing for a different thread) all I am getting is SBS and ABC's.
    I am guessing that the programming takes a littlw while for the commercials to come on.
    I will do a search again after work and see what has cropped up.
    Cheers

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well after my last post I went and changed the setting to dual lnb with 10700 as both high and lo.
    I now have reception which is great but I(and I am guessing for a different thread) all I am getting is SBS and ABC's.
    I am guessing that the programming takes a littlw while for the commercials to come on.
    Cheers
    i think for a universal lnb you need to have 9.75GHz and 10.60GHz instead of 10.700Ghz for both

Administrator
    Thanks

Cheers
    Sandgroper1,

When using a universal LNB, you need input the low & high settings as I explained in my previous post.

eg: "usually 9750 for low and 10600 for high (also known as 9.75GHz and 10.60GHz."

Thanks

Ok guys,
    A bit of feedback thus far.
    This morning I put Lo as 9750 and 10600 as High as suggested and result.......No Signal.
    Tried 9750 and 10700, got signal and could view channels but the info bar at the bottom of screen that tells you what channel you are on and what program is coming up is blank. e.g. no information on it.
    Put 10700 in for Lo and High and back to normal so ...............
    One thing I will ask though is the system reboots automatically every 1 or 2 hours, why is this so and can you stop it doing it?
    One of the main reasons it is a pain is that when it finishes updating the box defaults to (in this case) ch 222 so if your watching something on another channel not only are you interupted you are sent to a new channel when its finished???????
    Cheers guys.

Administrator
    Thanks

Ok guys,
    A bit of feedback thus far.
    This morning I put Lo as 9750 and 10600 as High as suggested and result.......No Signal.
    Tried 9750 and 10700, got signal and could view channels but the info bar at the bottom of screen that tells you what channel you are on and what program is coming up is blank. e.g. no information on it.
    Put 10700 in for Lo and High and back to normal so ...............
    One thing I will ask though is the system reboots automatically every 1 or 2 hours, why is this so and can you stop it doing it?
    One of the main reasons it is a pain is that when it finishes updating the box defaults to (in this case) ch 222 so if your watching something on another channel not only are you interupted you are sent to a new channel when its finished???????
    Cheers guys.
    There was a problem with the UEC VAST box when using universal LNB's, that the frequency would drift and the box would not receive updates.

This issue was corrected with a firmware (UEC call it software) update, but it's a 'catch 22 situation'. The box probably doesn't receive the update fix, because you're using a universal LNB.

To overcome this, you can download the update and install it into the box with a USB key.

Obviously, on that page select the DSD4121 Software version 2.22 L36 (2011-03-03)

Leave the low/high settings on 9750 and 10600 when you install the update via USB.

Hopefully that will solve the issue.

If the box continues rebooting frequently after the firmware upgrade, then the box may be faulty, or your LNB/cabling/connection has a problem.

Administrator
    Thanks

Further to the last, re: upgrading UEC VAST firmware....

The upgrade file is self-extracting, but being an .exe file, be aware that some antivirus/security programs may block it.

After extraction, you'll have the firmware file and a text file with installation instructions.

So you'll know the procedure, here's the instructions: (this may be useful for anyone else who needs/wishes to perform firmware upgrades to the UEC box via USB)

1. Format USB drive to FAT32. In Windows go to "My Computer" and right click the drive letter corresponding to your USB key then choose "Format". In the "File system" otion choose "FAT32" then press start. A warning will be displayed informing you the cotents of this drive will be deleted. Press OK.
    2. Copy the included file "upgrade.uec" to the USB stick.
    3. GO back to "My computer", right click the drive corresponding to the USB stick and select EJECT.
    4. Remove the USB stick from your PC.
    5. Remove power from your DSD4121 decoder and insert the USB stick into the back of the DSD4121 decoder.
    6. While holding down the "<CH" and "CH>" buttons on the front panel of the DSD4121 decoder reinsert the power cable.
    7 Keep the "<CH" and "CH>" buttons depressed untill the front panel fo the DSD4121 decoder shows a spinning circle.
    8 The upgrade will now start and should be complete within about 4 minutes. After completion the DSD4121 will reboot itself and startup normally. You can now remove the USB stick from the DSD4121 decoder.

NOTE: Not all USB sticks are supported by the DSD4121. If the upgrade fails it could be because the USB drive is not supported.

Known working USB sticks:

IMATION 4GB.
    IMATION 128MB HMDS-128C
    KINGSTONE Datatraveler 4GB
    SANDISK CRUZER MICRO 8GB

Known NOT working USB sticks:
    KINGSTON Datatraveler 2GB

Thanks

Default 2 Satellite Receivers on one LNB

First post to forum so excuse me if I have placed my comment in the wrong place.

I've just bought a VAST satellite receiver before the NSW switchover deadline of Dec 2013 to replace my Aurora receiver and all started out so well, until I found that the Aurora installer didn't register me and I must have been using someone else smartcard. That means I don't have "special permission" to get VAST early, but I can watch the ABC and SBS channels.

I had this great idea that I would split the satellite cable before it goes into the receiver and put both the Aurora and VAST receivers on the one LNB which should, in theory, give me all the ABC, SBS, Imparja and SCTV channels and I would be a happy bunny.

I've been reading that technically this is flawed, but I can't understand why. Can anyone advise me whether this will work. I will only be watching one or other of the receivers - never both. I could power off the non-active receiver. From what I have been reading one receiver may dictate the channel selected, but will that cause a problem with these receivers?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool Piggy back decoders. Aurora and VAST.

Quote Originally Posted by RobKel View Post
    First post to forum so excuse me if I have placed my comment in the wrong place.

I've just bought a VAST satellite receiver before the NSW switchover deadline of Dec 2013 to replace my Aurora receiver and all started out so well, until I found that the Aurora installer didn't register me and I must have been using someone else smartcard. That means I don't have "special permission" to get VAST early, but I can watch the ABC and SBS channels.

I had this great idea that I would split the satellite cable before it goes into the receiver and put both the Aurora and VAST receivers on the one LNB which should, in theory, give me all the ABC, SBS, Imparja and SCTV channels and I would be a happy bunny.

I've been reading that technically this is flawed, but I can't understand why. Can anyone advise me whether this will work. I will only be watching one or other of the receivers - never both. I could power off the non-active receiver. From what I have been reading one receiver may dictate the channel selected, but will that cause a problem with these receivers?

Any advice gratefully received.

G'Day Cobber,
    you fail to identify the Aurora box.
    However most have a LNB input and Loop Out.
    Connect the Vast to the Loop Out and as Aurora are Vertical channels, the Vast will get only Vertical. That should be all you need.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have a Humax (pass thru) with the Aurora card and the VAST stb on the same cable.
    At the moment I have the Aurora card out of this Humax to put another and put the Humax on 'Standby' and the UEC VAST is still working quite happily.
    You can also turn OFF the LNB power OFF in either BUT NOT BOTH STB's as that will certainly stuff up the show.
    Are you in an authorised Aurora (Black Spot) area because if you are, you can get the VAST stb authorised to receive all channels NOW.(Check the Myswitch site for details)
    I am also curious that if you had ALL the VAST channels before, why havent you got them now??
    Also that 2013 date depends on what area of NSW your in as my area of NSW switches from next January 2011.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 16-06-11 at 04:25 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Thanks for your help on this. It is a DSD910 Aurora box. It has an RF Loop, but no obvious LNB loop out.
    I'm not in an authorised black spot. I'm in a valley where the houses up either side of the valley can use a standard aerial. Apparently I would be able to get poor terrestrial with a 12m mast on top of my house, but black spots aren't limited to this small an area. Didn't have any Vast until a couple of days ago. Only when I tried to activate it did I realise that the installer hadn't put my application through. Apparently he can still do it for me, but why would he? He may be opening himself up to criticism and even if he does put it through it could take 2 months.
    Still not sure why I can't split the satellite signal before the receiver, but any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by RobKel; 16-06-11 at 08:44 PM. Reason: didn't answer the original question properly

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast