Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New kid on the Xbox block

Thanks

heaps of these about on ebay

they do the job

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I'm too much of a tight ass....I can't see how postage can be so expensive?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    I'm too much of a tight ass....I can't see how postage can be so expensive?
    They supplement a cheap purchase price with a high postage price.

your comment about being a tight arse depends on how badly you want this converter...doesn't it? LOL

Mick

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Micksxboxmods View Post
    They supplement a cheap purchase price with a high postage price.

your comment about being a tight arse depends on how badly you want this converter...doesn't it? LOL

Mick
    How right you are.....it can wait...can still use my conventional tv at this stage. Did try using the plasma (looked awesome), but too worried about the burn in problems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    How right you are.....it can wait...can still use my conventional tv at this stage. Did try using the plasma (looked awesome), but too worried about the burn in problems.
    most plasma's have a sweeper that will take care of burn in.

Thanks

Unless your going to leave a single image on the screen for hours every day and repeat that process for months at a time, I wouldn't be worried about burn in.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsdn View Post
    Just to back Mick up, one of the most common problems I see and end up chipping are soft mods. At least with a chip u can ALWAYS recover with a slayers disk, even with a HD failure

Xbox1 is a verrrry reliable unit if done correctly.
    Only thing to be aware of is that your concious of what banks your flashing, and that you (ideally), keep a copy of flashbios (for xecuter) or cromwell on yer modchip.

I have had the misfortune of being a noob a while back and incorrectly flashing my chip, had to buy the programmer ($15 out of pocket + shipping + its hard to find LPT ports on computers anymore :P) and go through all sorts of crap to get er working.

Otherwise what you say is correct, xbox1 is very realiable, hard to mess it up unless your a noob like I was (and I had thought i'd read everything I needed to too !! , i'd also successfully modded an xbox before this tragic incident occured !)

Banned
    Thanks

Hehe,

back here again on an old thread.

I eventually contacted mick on another forum and arranged him to mod my xbox with an alladin chip, and fit my spare drive into it.

Is there a "dummies guide" to xbox after modding out there anywhere?

When I look at all the stuff in the menu's mick has put in there, I just dunno where to start.It all looks impessive, but a bit baffling as well.

I can see headers to go onto the net, all sorts of things,XBMC etc. Unfortunately, no-one around me has a modded box where i can sit in and learn a few things, hence a dummy guide request.

Yeah, I know I'm years behind, but what the heck...

Thanks fellas

Thanks

if you basically just want to use it for games and as a media centre you cant go past xbmc. Now i didnt use Slayer's (micks - creation). I used AutoInstaller and it works a treat. Install it and immediately you have xbmc loaded. Its nice

Thanks

My xbox has an aladdin chip in it as well. I bought it on ebay about 4 years ago that way.

I quickly found out that the 9 gig hard drive in it is pretty much useless so the first thing you wanna do is buy something a bit bigger and clone your drive onto it.

Unfortunately this isn't as easy as you would expect. The xbox has a mechanism built in that locks the hard drive when you shut it down and unlocks it when you turn it on. This locking makes the drive invisible to the bios, windows, EVERYTHING in a PC, so it won't evven give it a drive letter when you plug it straight into a PC.

The way around this if I remember right was to switch the xbox on with the cover off, and pull the ide cable out and hook up the hard drive to your pc, run a program like ghost and clone the drive to your larger one, and then physically switch them over.

Once you've done that, you then have a bit of room to be able to dabble.

I do not condone this activity, but the local video-ezy had a deal at the time where you could hire your first game for $5 and as many as you wanted for $1ea. So I would go into the shop and pluck 16 games off the shelf, hand over my $20 and go home and run them off onto the hard drive. Return them the following day and hire 16 more. When I got questioned about this on the 3rd day I simply stated that I work night shift and have ADHD so can't play one game for more than 5 minutes.

The next thing you might wanna do with your xbox is get it up and running on your network.
    Gotta go thru the menus and basically give it an IP address. If your router is 192.168.0.1 and it assigns IP's to your 3 computers automatically then you should set your xbox to 192.168.0.5 or more and make it static. Set the login to xbox and the password to xbox. No need for stupid levels of security here.

Then to FTP into your xbox you go to internet explorer on your computer and type into the address bar:
    ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.0.5 and you should get an explorer screen with all the drive letters.

The first "xbox" above is the login/username and the a colon : and the second one is the password.
    If you get it right, Control-D a shortcut for your favourites and then right-click it and properties for the shortcut. It will trim off the login part and just put the ip in, so you'll have to re-enter the whole lot again. Name your shortcut xboxftp or something, so next time you wanna go into your xbox you go to the address bar and type in xboxftp [enter] and you'll be in, no passwords, etc..

In one of the drives you will find a folder for video, you can dump AVI files and mpegs / torrents in there and watch them on your tv using XBMC or XBMP. I use THIS all the time. When one player won't play a file, use the other and you should be right.

If you download games off a torrent then there's no need to even go to disc with them. You just FTP into your xbox, extract the files into a folder called games on your box and they'll appear in evox. If the game is an image, use something like alcohol120% to rip the image out into it's files and then dump them across.

You can also dump cheats into the xbox, stuff like that. My version of evox also has a whole bunch of emulators in it, like c64, atari's, mame, etc. all you gotta do is get some roms and chuck 'em into the games folders.

One thing that might stump ya is the length of a filename. The xbox will only take a 16-bit filename. so if you get weird error messages when you try and copy stuff like a movie torrent avi, trim off all the crap in the filename that you don't need and try again and it'll work.

If you have specific questions, just ask. If you wanna bring your box down to sydney I can SHOW you this stuff and give you a clone of my drive to get you started.

In my humble opinion, the Xbox is a VERY under-rated piece of technology. You can do SO MUCH with them it will boggle your mind if could make use of it all.
    You can stream video straight to it from the network if you want to.
    They will play Playstation games. (I love playing all my old Army Men series from the PS1 on the xbox..)
    You can install MythTV and turn it into a HTPC, set top box type of thing.
    There is no CPU fan in it, so they can be made to run completely SILENT if you install a Compact Flash drive into it.

Rip in mate. They are cheap and you can do some awesome stuff with them.

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks biggeorge.

Micksxboxbombs has already done the alladin and the larger drive, it is the other stuff like connecting to the net etc that you told me about that I was interested in. I'll try ingest what is here, and try to do some what if's and see how I go. I appreciate your offer of help. I am in Coffs Hbr, so distance factor to great, but pleased you offered.I can play satellite receivers dishes and all that stuff, but playing ip addresses etc always confuses me. I only recently went to wireless with a router etc, and that confused the heck out of me...lol.

Thanks for words of explanation and encouragement.

Thanks

No prob.
    I had to figure all that stuff out on my own. I read and read and read. I wish someone just told me in plain english what to do.

Basically what you gotta do is see what ip range your router is configured for.
    Most of 'em go from 192.168.0.1 thru to 192.168.0.255 so pick a number in your router's range that no other computer will use and make it static on the xbox so it never changes. The subnet should be 255.255.255.0 as it usually is.

If you get it right, you will see the IP number on the first page of your xbox after you load evox. If it's something completely different then you've got something wrong. Change something and reboot it. No need to go too deep to see if it's working, it just tells you when you turn it on.

Don't bother trying to do it wirelessly or trying to connect it to a PC with a crossover cable, just run a cable straight to your router.

Just think of the xbox as another PC coz thats basically what it is.

My only regret is only buying 1 xbox. If I had another then it'd become a lot more fun.

Never sell it dude, there's SO MUCH you can do with them later on you will always find a use for it.
    Mine still gets used regularly, even if it's just for playing avi's.

Also, get the game Rallysport Challenge 2. That has got to be the best and most realistic driving game ever made for the box. I LOVE that game!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biggeorge View Post
    Just get mick to put a real modchip into it.

I have had many years of modded xbox fun. They are a great little gizmo and can do some cool things when they are set up right.

Also get a larger hard drive put in it while your at it. Then all you need to do is plunk in a game disc, rip it to the hard drive and take it back to the video shop when your finished.

I use my xbox for networked divx movies, tv downloads, streaming, etc...

They are pretty damn good machines for the price.
    I'm interested in using my xbox for divx and other downloaded movies, whats involved in doing this ? - mine is unmodded.

Thanks

@loanrangiel
    you will need to mod your box then its as simple as loading the software (usually you can get the person that mods it to set it up as a part of the job)
    Modding Xbox, Xbox360 and Wii consoles - all versions.
    Located in Wollongong, NSW.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pak_indo View Post
    @loanrangiel
    you will need to mod your box then its as simple as loading the software (usually you can get the person that mods it to set it up as a part of the job)
    Ok thanks.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12