Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KIA Brothers Death Plaques - Maitland NSW

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

In another strange coincidence to this, these men were from Maitland in NSW. My father was born In Maitland.

Maybe some things are meant to be

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Small world! and getting smaller by the minute.

Administrator
    Thanks

I am happy to announce that today I sent the entire Fergusson group back to Patricia and her family, as promised for only what it owed me.

It has been a pleasure to talk with Patricia about the Fergusson family , and they are all very excited to have their families history returned to them. Its been quite an interesting ride for this group , me buying part in April 2011, then by pure fluke spotting the brothers medals for sale on Ebay in January this year. I didn't have the money to buy them and had to sell my soul to my missus to get them, and then amazingly Patricia finds us here in a Google search.

Its great reading Wait until the movie comes out !

But seriously, its a good feeling to know that this group is back where it belongs

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

allover (03-08-15),best4less (03-08-15),LeroyPatrol (03-08-15),lsemmens (03-08-15),mandc (03-08-15),Tiny (03-08-15)

Thanks

Absolute gentleman , always enjoy hearing good stories like this one . Give yourself a pat on the back .

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Au_radio For This Useful Post:

admin (06-08-15),LeroyPatrol (03-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I reckon it's a great guesture as well. I think I would find it difficult holding on to them when you know who the real custodians are.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

admin (06-08-15)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

I have pondered what the out come was and glad to hear all ended well, congratulations Admin
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

admin (06-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Good work Andrew, and congratulations Pat on restoring a bit of family history. Good to read about this kind of stuff on the forum.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

admin (06-08-15)

Thanks

Hi everyone

I would like to publicly offer my heartfelt thanks and appreciation to Andrew, I received the 'Fergusson Collection' in the post today (on my birthday - couldn't have timed it better, it made my day).
    Andrew has been an absolute gentleman throughout all of our correspondence and I will be forever grateful for his kindness and generosity in allowing the collection to come back to my family. Words cannot express how grateful I am and I would like to acknowledge Andrew's effort in getting the collection together, the research he put into it, the care he put into it and after of all that, he passed it over to me.
    It has been a very interesting and emotional journey and I agree, also an interesting read for the group.
    This forum is very lucky to have Andrew as Admin and I feel very blessed to have found him and this lovely group as I now have my great grandfather and two great grand uncles' medals, plaques, photos etc back in my family to pass down to my children, who I'm sure will treasure them as I much as I do.
    I will keep you posted if I manage to track down the two medals that are still out there somewhere or any other items that belong with the collection as I continue Andrew's effort in getting it all back together.
    Thank you again Andrew and thank you to the group members for their comments.

Kind Regards
    Patricia

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrishM For This Useful Post:

allover (06-08-15),LeroyPatrol (05-08-15),lsemmens (06-08-15),mandc (06-08-15)

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks for your kind words Patricia, though I am concerned that the membership will think I am a nice person. It should only last until someone gets banned

But on a serious note, its a relief to know that this group is now back in the hands of the Fergusson clan. Its been an amazing journey, the boys father would have received the death plaques and medals (all separately) in the early 1920's and at some stage it has been separated. I picked up the plaques, address books, badge and original birth certificate in early 2011 and the medals in Jan this year. Here we are in August, with the group back home about 90 years after they were first delivered there. Its also amazing as I was seriously considering selling the group to fund my wifes Nursing studies as I had no money to pay for the books......things could have gone differently if I did and another buyer may not have wanted to return them.

I can remember when I first started collecting medals, someone on one of the collecting forums said " You never own a medal that wasn't awarded to you, you are just the custodian of it". A very true statement, and some custodians have more rights than others to some medals (such as in this case) and I sleep easy knowing that these 2 brave young men will be honored and revered by Patricia and her family, and for generations to come.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (07-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    though I am concerned that the membership will think I am a nice person.
    nah mate, we see straight through that shit

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    nah mate, we see straight through that shit
    I had no doubt that someone would point that out, thanks mate

Thanks

Red face KIA - Death Plaque - Certainly attracted my interest!

What a great read!. Stumbled across this post after receiving an email from Austech for the current prize draw.

Firstly great title!, for someone who had no idea what it meant it caught my interest. I always like to have some sort of idea what something means and had no idea here, and thought, read on, what is it all about!.

So four years since the original post and days since the return of the items to the family and I was privileged with reading it all in one sitting!

Trish you are one lucky lady and Andrew a true gentleman.

So much goes to landfill these days and when people pass so much is happening in so many of the lives of the relatives, if there are any! This is just one of the reasons I say you are a lucky lady Trish, these items that Andrew chose to gather together may have taken a far different path at any time, just thinking of the possibilities brings me one of the earlier posts. WOW!

Andrew, may I wish your wife success with the nursing studies and thank you for a great story and the example you have set.

Paul

• The Following User Says Thank You to bugsy For This Useful Post:

WhiteOx (15-08-15)

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks Paul, yes, its always nice to read a good news story and even better to be involved in one.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12