Thread: KIA Brothers Death Plaques - Maitland NSW

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default KIA Brothers Death Plaques - Maitland NSW

I recently purchased this group on ebay. It contains items relating to the Fergusson brothers, 2 of who were killed in WW1. I have only done basic research on this so far.

A small badge shows 3 men, the man on the extreme right with the moustache is a third brother who apprently survived the war. The 2 death plaques are to Rupert Fergusson and Alfred Bruce Fergusson. One has the name embossed, the other has it engraved. The reason for this is miss spelling of the name Fergusson. If you received a death plaque with incorrect spelling in the name and sent it back to the authorites, rather than make a new one they would grind the embossed name off and engrave over it. There are numerous spelling mistakes of the name Fergusson through both their records.

Alfred Bruce Fergusson enlisted on 17 October 1915 and was a station hand/overseer prior to enlistment. He was aged 27 and single at enlistment.
    He was killed in action in France at Flers on 14 November 1916 with the 19th Battalion of which he joined with the 9th reinforcements.

Rupert Fergusson enlisted on 19 October 1916 and was a single 24 year old labourer. He was killed in action in France on 14 June 1918 with the 3rd Battalion which he joined with the 23 reinforcements.

Photos of both men, I am yet to work out who is who. I will have to study their service record descriptions to work it out.

I also received a couple of old autograph books with poems and pictures etc related to the same family. Heres a couple of pics.

Here is a photo of the badge showing the 3 brothers.

I also got Rupert's birth certificate

Plaques

2. The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

best4less (03-08-15)

3. Look Here ->