Thread: Invalid Security Certificate

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Invalid Security Certificate

I have just started to get a warning that the Yahoo Mail that I have been using for a year or 3 now has a 'Problem with an Invalid Security Certificate' and it gets blocked and a reddish tint appears in the address bar.
    I havent changed any security settings other than to reduce the MS Firewall from Medium High to Medium, but it had no effect on the the warning.
    I just click on the 'ignore and open anyway' option but whats causing this warning to appear?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

what version internet explorer is it.

Mick
    Last edited by mickstv; 19-04-11 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks

Hopefully your not getting done by a MITM (man in the middle) attack, are you on a network with other pc's?

Premium Member

Thanks

XP, SP3, IE8 only newly downloaded as I am reinstalling everything off my own XP disc due to the old motherboard crashing.
    Avira and MS Essentials are the virus checkers.
    I use au.yahoo.com as my Home page and have done for a few years but in the last 3 days when I click on the login for the email, I get this expired certificate warning.
    This and a laptop are cable connected to a router but not 'Networked' as such but the Lappy isnt getting this warning.
    I do have another newer lappy that is on the wireless part of the router but its only used every now and again.
    I am the only one who uses this and the old lappy, my wife uses the other but she isnt a 'Computer User' so I have to set it up for her.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 19-04-11 at 09:27 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I'd contact Yahoo and ask them if there certificate has expired, it could be an oversite from there end. Are you using a link thats starts with https and not http ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

I'm going to have a stab in the dark and say goto windows update and select optional updates and download the update in the pix below Root Certificate.

Uploaded with

Thanks

make sure the date is correct in your PCs clock - if its out it'll throw up invalid security certificate errors

Premium Member

Thanks

I think thats where the problem lies as I checked the clock and it was back to Jan 2002 as it was when I brought it home the other day.
    I did reset it but for some reason its gone back to its Commencement date of 2002.
    I reset it but it wont do the Update, says the next due update is the 27th I think.
    I am going to check with the friend who put this together for me as I jknow it has a dicky CMOS battery and I wont do anything untill I can talk to him about it.

Stupid reset the clock alright to the 20th of April 2010, NOT 2011..........DUUUUUH

Thats fixed the Invalid certificate but now to 'watch' the clock to see if it holds the correct time.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 19-04-11 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mickstv View Post
    I'm going to have a stab in the dark and say goto windows update and select optional updates and download the update in the pix below Root Certificate.

Uploaded with
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I think thats where the problem lies as I checked the clock and it was back to Jan 2002 as it was when I brought it home the other day.
    I did reset it but for some reason its gone back to its Commencement date of 2002.
    I reset it but it wont do the Update, says the next due update is the 27th I think.
    I am going to check with the friend who put this together for me as I jknow it has a dicky CMOS battery and I wont do anything untill I can talk to him about it.

Stupid reset the clock alright to the 20th of April 2010, NOT 2011..........DUUUUUH

Thats fixed the Invalid certificate but now to 'watch' the clock to see if it holds the correct time.
    Thtsa dam good pickup you two!!!
    Democracy & Ignorance = A Winning Combination