Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vast wa

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Thats not how I read the system unless your reffering to only receiving the ABC/SBS channels which are available OZ wide without restriction.
    To get the commercial channels you need to be either in one of the Authorised Zones or be certified as being in a Black Spot location.
    Here is not in an authorised Aurora zone but I have neighbours who are the latter (Black Spot) who went VAST 2 months ago as we dont officialy switch untill January 2012.
    Gordon,

You're correct that anybody, anywhere is entitled to have ABC/SBS via VAST, but you must register a decoder to get them.

In Krueger's case, he doesn't have a VAST decoder, so they can't activate something he doesn't have.

Krueger's case is also different to the examples you have given, in that his area is about to receive terrestrial coverage, which he hasn't had previously.

Therefore, even though he may have been previously-approved for Aurora, that decision would have been made on the basis of no digital terrestrial signals being available in his area.

Given his area will have digital terrestrial coverage, within the analogue shutoff period, he will no longer have the need for satellite FTA.

If, once the terrestrial translators are operating, it is determined that he is in an area of unreliable digital terrestrial signal coverage (eg: blackspot) then he would be granted access to VAST.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The question about your Aurora card...is it a genuine Optus Aurora smartcard,
    Yes

The question about your Aurora card...with a serial number
    Yes

The question about your Aurora card...and is it registered with Optus Aurora in your name
    Yes

The question about your Aurora card...and your current address?
    It is registered with my current postal address and email address, I have recently change residential addresses.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    It is registered with my current postal address and email address, I have recently change residential addresses.
    That would be one reason the VAST application would be denied, as the registered Aurora card address and the address you gave on the VAST application didn't match.

You need to advise Aurora of your change of address, however, given the circumstances that your area is to receive digital terrestrial 'in the coming months' perhaps that may be detrimental, as they may re-assess your Aurora eligibility.

Is there analogue terrestrial available in the area you are in now?

Maybe better to just hold off doing anything until digital terrestrial is available to you.

Thanks

That would be one reason the VAST application would be denied, as the registered Aurora card address and the address you gave on the VAST application didn't match.
    That address wasn't used on the initial application for Aurora.

You need to advise Aurora of your change of address,
    I have just emailed Aurora this address to update.

given the circumstances that your area is to receive digital terrestrial 'in the coming months' perhaps that may be detrimental, as they may re-assess your Aurora eligibility.
    I don't believe we will see the full digital channels this side if 2012.

Is there analogue terrestrial available in the area you are in now?
    Yes, WIN, GWN, SBS & ABC WA only.

Thanks

Here is the reply to the second application I just received.

Thank you for your application for access to the VAST regional commercial satellite TV service for Western Australia.
    Your application has been declined, since you are not in an eligible area, do not have a valid Aurora smart card number or your current location is not on the WA eligible customer interim list.
    The full suite of local digital TV services is expected to be available in your area by terrestrial transmission in the coming months. Please check the MySwitch webpage for information about coverage from your local terrestrial transmitter.
    Applications to access the full Western Australian VAST service for other than eligible Aurora service recipients will be open from August 2011.
    Kind regards,
    The VAST team

I have now submitted a third application, and will continue to do so until I piss them off. They are telling me my Aurora card is invalid, and I am not in an Aurora approved area. Judging by my application and their response times, they obviously have access to the Aurora database.

Until such time they provide and can guarantee a date, which I know they wont, I don't accept we will be switched over in a few months, they are simply full of shit.

Administrator
    Thanks

OK, well given that you are now in a terrestrial analogue signal area which is being upgraded to digital terrestrial, it's highly unlikely you'd be granted access to any VAST commercial channels anyway.

Looks like waiting for terrestrial digital is your best (and probably) only choice, for commercial networks.

Thanks

Reply just received from Optus regarding my change of address details.

"My understanding is that VAST use the 7 Central Database we don't supply them with any information it would be in breach of privacy for us to do so. I have updated your details as requested.
    I can confirm for you that this card is registered for the Aurora services."

So now VAST are using a database that doesn't show ALL valid Aurora subscriptions, because I live in remote, not regional WA. This is what makes my blood boil, I now have a good reason to cause them pain.

I can watch Channel 7,9 & 10 Queensland off the Foxtel platform on my Dreambox, but I cant watch a Perth channel because of their licensing bullshit.
    Last edited by Krueger; 20-04-11 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Highlighted quote from Optus.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

GWN and WIN were so relaxed with Aurora authorisations. As long as you didn't live in Perth, you were granted access. If they didn't take their sweet old time getting terrestrial digital up and running across the state, VAST WA would probably be just as relaxed as it would offer no more value for money than terrestrial for most people. They want maximum audience numbers for their terrestrial digital sites, otherwise there's no point building them. Heh, and they thought it would be easier to just delay it.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Thanks

After a phone call to the VAST Administration number, I was informed it is a "Restricted Aurora Access List", and my details aren't on it, and they don't get their details from Aurora. If they made that clear in the beginning, maybe I wouldn't be quite so anal, then again, maybe I would.

I would like to add, if any of you lived here, and were made to watch the crap we have, I am quite sure you would have the exact same attitude I have. When we get storms, we lose some or all of the 4 terrestrial stations we currently get, so ask yourself this, would you be happy watching ABC & SBS.

Thanks

Is there going to be the same allowances for VAST & Aurora?

My place in Kalbarri qualifies for Aurora, but isn't shown in the VAST maps.
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    Is there going to be the same allowances for VAST & Aurora?

My place in Kalbarri qualifies for Aurora, but isn't shown in the VAST maps.
    Then no, judging by my emails and phone call with VAST it wont be authorised, but then again going by their obvious mentality, they are likely to enable a smart card at a bus stop on the Albany Hwy.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Here's a video I made to prove something to that god awful character named AlanH on DTVForum. It shows a working VAST WA setup, so should be of interest to some here too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VMyVyIrtQ4]YouTube - VAST WA. A must-see for AlanH.[/ame]

• The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

AJM (25-04-11),billy t (28-07-11),BillyGoat (23-04-11),gavatron (25-04-11),gordon_s1942 (24-04-11),mtv (24-04-11),OSIRUS (23-04-11),sat 49 (24-04-11),SpankedHam (24-04-11),vk6xlr (24-04-11),Xplorer (24-04-11)

Thanks

So i was wondering i currently have aurora in WA postcode 6640
    Myswitch says:

Code:
    Your search indicates that you are in the:
    REGIONAL AND REMOTE WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    switchover area, which switches by
    2nd Half 2013
    Good Coverage

This is an area where strong coverage is predicted. You can expect to receive all available channels.
    So does this mean i am still ineligible to get VAST up and running with WIN etc?
    even with the new exceptions..

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Styke View Post
    So does this mean i am still ineligible to get VAST up and running with WIN etc?
    even with the new exceptions..
    Stage 1 of VAST WA is off limits for you, because you're in an area that either has digital now, or will get it eventually. My VAST WA box is registered to one of my other addresses which isn't slated to get digital at all, hence my authorisation. You will have to wait until digital launches in your city/town before you can say "hey, I'm in a blackspot, my town has all 16 services, give me VAST now!" You won't need to wait until July 2013 before you can apply.

Either way, just give it a go. Try for pre-authorisation and see what they say. They assess each application case-by-case, and they might just give you access anyway. Do you have an Aurora card. If so, what address is it registered to? (sorry, I just re-read your post)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

yes, i can confirm that vast wa is up and running.

nowhere near as many channels as the eastern states packages though, no gem, prime, etc.....

i also have an eastern states vast box here to compare.......

smacca, alanh isn't a local is he ?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    i also have an eastern states vast box here to compare.......
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    smacca, alanh isn't a local is he ?
    Local as in lives in WA or local as in an actual human with a brain?

If only I could him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    Here's a video I made to prove something to that god awful character named AlanH on DTVForum. It shows a working VAST WA setup, so should be of interest to some here too.
    Nice one Smacca!!!
    I've added my bit to DTV forum now. Let's see what he makes of that

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vk6xlr For This Useful Post:

mtv (24-04-11),Smacca (24-04-11)

Administrator
    Thanks

Excellent job smacca....

AnalH probably won't believe it still.

He exists in his own little universe, oblivious to reality.

Some background for those who are fortunate enough not to have had any dealings with him.

He's a retired ABC broadcast engineer... left the ABC many years before digital TV started, so his experience is purely analogue and yet he portrays himself (amongst other things) as a digital TV expert

He dictates on the DTV forum to professional antenna installers what they 'must' do, when he himself has never been an antenna installer.

He dictates to anyone, anywhere, what to do to obtain perfect digital terrestrial reception, even though he lives in (Hamersley) Perth, WA.

Numerous (present day) broadcast engineers on the forum repeatedly challenge him and he just deflects the subject.

As Smacca knows only too well... AnalH will continue to say something (like VAST WA) doesn't exist, even though seeing is believing.

He (AnalH) lives in a world of theory, mostly his own and continually refuses to believe fact, even when there's overwhelming evidence presented to support what's happening in reality.

He writes numerous submissions to ACMA, all available for public viewing on the web, which he publishes his address, so I have no issue stating his suburb, above.

He's incredibly arrogant manner is the wrath of many forum members... especially when the advice he dictates if often blatantly incorrect.

He's a classic forum troll... starts numerous threads on the smae subject and just incites arguments and generally just causes so many threads to deteriorate rapidy into unrelated off-topics.

For some reason the forum mods allow him to behave in the manner he does.

It's their site, so it's their call, but I know the mods here wouldn't put up with his crap!

He doesn't own a VAST box, AFAIK he doesn't have any experience with satellite TV reception but yet he's a self-proclamied 'expert'.

Anyhow, rant over... good on ya Smacca!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vk6xlr View Post
    Nice one Smacca!!!
    I've added my bit to DTV forum now. Let's see what he makes of that
    Likewise.... but because he can't find something from a govenment department on a Google search to support VAST is actually operating in WA, he won't believe the proof that Smacca has provided.

AnalH will quote government media releases when he feels they support his claims, yet at other times, he states, 'govenment press relases just don't cut it'.... especially if someone else quotes from one to dispute his claims.

Premium Member
    Thanks

AnalH probably won't believe it still.
    Now he's backtracking, subtly hinting he was wrong. Usual tactic, seen it a dozen times before.

Great description of him! Couldn't have said it better.

He doesn't know jack shit!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_RhyU5zz5U"]YouTube - newsbreak1.ram[/ame]
    Last edited by Smacca; 24-04-11 at 02:31 AM.

• Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast