Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vast wa

Thanks

Thumbs up Vast wa

According to another tech at work, VAST WA is now partially active.

He has his VAST box registered here in regional WA and receives GWN7, WIN and Ten West as of this morning.
    When he spoke to the activation mob, they said the rest of the VAST package shoud be active in the coming months.

I have yet to see it operational, but I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Look Here ->

Thanks

I heard that it would be up and running by November, which is in line with some of the terrestrial stuff.

Hope this isn't the real deal, but it might be at the worst

Thanks

Default .

Hot off the press today via an email.

Today the the new satellite service VAST started accepting activations for WA services under 2 conditions.
    1) you have an existing aurora card registered with Optus
    2) your complete the registration online through by entering you location and clicking the 'satellite eligibility tab'.

The new VAST service offers WA channels WIN, GWN, Ten West as well as ABC1, ABC2, ABC3, ABC New, SBS1 HD and SBS2. At the moment only the SD commercial channels are available. The full commercial station bouquets including one HD eleven, 7mate 7two, GEM & GO will not be available until later in the year.

• The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jsat For This Useful Post:

bigboy (19-06-11),billy t (14-06-11),gordon_s1942 (20-04-11),mkhannah (20-04-11),mtv (19-04-11),OSIRUS (20-04-11),Sandgroper1 (27-04-11),Smacca (19-04-11),vk6xlr (19-04-11)

Thanks

I just lodged an application using my Aurora card details. From what I understand, my Aurora card will be used to access the VAST services via satellite.

I don't understand the Decoder details in the application though. I used to use a UEC DSD910 with my Aurora card, since it no longer works, I now use my DM7025.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I just lodged an application using my Aurora card details. From what I understand, my Aurora card will be used to access the VAST services via satellite.

I don't understand the Decoder details in the application though. I used to use a UEC DSD910 with my Aurora card, since it no longer works, I now use my DM7025.
    -----no, the card is not used for the VAST services -----and no, you can not use your decoder to access VAST, you have to buy the UEC VAST decoder with the card supplied, to be able to receive the VAST channels

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

As mentioned, the only thing you use your Aurora card for, is to provide proof you have one, which entitles you to access VAST.

You do not use the Aurora card itself for VAST and you must purchase a VAST receiver and smartcard (they come together).

The decoder details on the VAST application refer to the VAST decoder and smartcard... not your existing Aurora box, or any other equipment.

Thanks

Not much to get worked up about, half the friggin channels missing. It's like buying a V8 and only having 4 of the cylinders working.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

As stated in mtv's post, a new smart card is necessary.

Perth-based Sciteq stock the Altech UEC DSD4121 (), which is the only receiver so far approved for use with the new VAST satellite service.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Croady View Post
    Not much to get worked up about, half the friggin channels missing. It's like buying a V8 and only having 4 of the cylinders working.
    Galling it may be not to have full access BUT nowVAST has FINALY opened and you have 3 commercial channels albeit not the full suite.
    Yesterday you had only a "Maybe, Pehaps, Soon', Today its ON !!
    You Sandgropers will just have to keep up the pressure to ensure they dont slack off thinking you will be happy with this partial offering.

Krueger, in the MYswitch activation it asks for your Aurora card number to show your in an either Approved Aurora Reception Area or a 'Black Spot' which gets your VAST stb up and running without delay.
    As stated many times before, you MUST have a VAST stb and linked card or it wont happen.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 20-04-11 at 11:44 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Doesn't matter anyway, my application was just declined because the Aurora card I am currently watching GWN with isn't a valid Aurora card apparently. I have only had it for over 5 years. So I just lodged another application, and will continue to do so until someone rings the number I provided.

Going by the reply I got, the people reading these applications are deaf, dumb and stupid.

Thanks

Thank you for your application for access to the VAST regional commercial satellite TV service for Western Australia.
    Your application has been declined, since you are not in an eligible area, do not have a valid Aurora smart card number, or your current location has no previous Out of Area permission via the Aurora platform.
    The full suite of local digital TV services is expected to be available in your area by terrestrial transmission in the coming months. Please check the MySwitch webpage for information about coverage from your local terrestrial transmitter.
    Applications to access the full Western Australian VAST service for other than eligible Aurora service recipients will be open from August 2011.
    In response to your question about the decoder- the VAST system works on a new decoder that will need to be purchased if/when you are eligible for VAST.
    Kind regards,
    The VAST team

Premium Member

Thanks

Krueger, sorry if I am misreading your posts but have you bought a UEC VAST stb yet??
    If you have, has it been activated for just the ABC/SBS channels only as I understand they are available no matter where you live.
    Also what Aurora card do you have, ie who made it?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 20-04-11 at 11:52 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Yes it is official, you can now start registering you VAST box for WA. Although you are not given full suite better then nothing at all.

its almost like a

Administrator
    Thanks

Thank you for your application for access to the VAST regional commercial satellite TV service for Western Australia.
    Your application has been declined, since you are not in an eligible area, do not have a valid Aurora smart card number, or your current location has no previous Out of Area permission via the Aurora platform.
    The full suite of local digital TV services is expected to be available in your area by terrestrial transmission in the coming months.
    They didn't decline your application because your Aurora card was invalid, (they didn't actually say that was the specific reason, it was grouped in several 'possible' reasons)... the reason would have been that you will be getting full digital terrestrial transmissions, which means there will be terrestrial translators covering your area... which is better than having to rely on VAST anyway, especially if your TV has an integrated digital tuner.

Even if you need a terrestrial STB, they are much cheaper than a VAST box and there's a large choice of makes/models, unlike the VAST box.. only one make/model, with limited features at the moment.

You are still entitled to receive ABC/SBS via VAST if you really want it, but you MUST have a VAST decoder and smartcard and enter those serial numbers in your application and tick the box requesting ABC/SBS-only.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

just because you have a valid aurora card doesn't mean you will automatically be granted access to vast.

you still need to be in an approved area.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strada916 View Post
    Yes it is official, you can now start registering you VAST box for WA. Although you are not given full suite better then nothing at all.

its almost like a
    Absolutely.

Even if you have Aurora, there's a huge (err... VAST) difference in quality, 16:9 aspect (widescreen) and you get ALL the ABC/SBS channels now.... including ABC1, ABC2, ABC3, ABC24 and SBS1, SBS2, SBS,3, SBS4, SBSHD, plus the main commercial channels.

The additional commercial channels, Go, 7Mate, ONEHD etc will eventually happen. Just be thankful the VAST service is finally available to WA.

Thanks

Since I want authorisation before I spend $300, I do not have a VAST decoder or card.
    I do however have a valid Aurora card for this address. It is a purple Epsilon card and has worked for Optus Aurora for around 5 years or more.

I don't care much for the ABC & SBS channels, they are available free off Optus D1 anyway.

Quoted from their email

"The full suite of local digital TV services is expected to be available in your area by terrestrial transmission in the coming months".

Unless your months mean years, then that's not what I found, it says 2013. Thats another 2 years of fuggen Foxtel which I cant stand to pay for much longer. I bet both testicles that by the end of this year, we are still stuck with ABC & SBS on terrestrial TV.

Your search indicates that you are in the:
    REGIONAL AND REMOTE WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    switchover area, which switches by
    2nd Half 2013

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    just because you have a valid aurora card doesn't mean you will automatically be granted access to vast.

Thats not how I read the system unless your reffering to only receiving the ABC/SBS channels which are available OZ wide without restriction.
    To get the commercial channels you need to be either in one of the Authorised Zones or be certified as being in a Black Spot location.
    Here is not in an authorised Aurora zone but I have neighbours who are the latter (Black Spot) who went VAST 2 months ago as we dont officialy switch untill January 2012.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 20-04-11 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post

Thats not what I was lead to believe.

Having 4 analogue channels for the last 15 years isn't reason enough to be in an "Approved Area". (WIN, GWN, SBS & ABC)

What does it matter if I wanted satellite over terrestrial anyway? We often get storms and lose our signal for days at a time, I should be allowed access to satellite.

I see this is going to be another government ballsup similar to the insulation fiasco.

Administrator
    Thanks

The end of 2013 (eg:31 dec 2013) is when the analogue switchoff for all of Australia will be completed, not just regional and remote WA.

ANY area that has that switchoff date, which incidentally includes Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide, has to wait until 6 months prior to the analogue shutoff date to access VAST.

This timeframe allows for networks to install terrestrial translators, which according to the reply you received, indicates that's what you'll be getting, which you don't seem to appreciate, is great news.

In the applicable areas, the networks have until the end of December 2013 to install terrestrial translators.... that's the MAXIMUM time, not what has been indicated in your area.

Although there was no specific date given, it's likely to be quite some time sooner than 2013.

The question about your Aurora card.. is it a genuine Optus Aurora smartcard, with a serial number, and is it registered with Optus Aurora in your name and your current address?

The rules of who is entitled to access VAST are pretty clear.

Those who live in areas of digital terrestrial signal coverage are not eligible.

Given that your area is to receive digital terrestrial coverage, it would be deemed that you will not require VAST (or Aurora for that matter) once the translators are operating.

If for some reason you are unable to receive the terrestrial signals with the correcet terrestrial antenna, etc, after they commence, you would be then be eligible to have access to VAST, but you will have to wait until the terrestrial translators are operating to determine that.

If you don't wish to have ABC/SBS via VAST now, then it's best if you don't spend money on a VAST decoder.... just stay with Aurora for now and wait until terrestrial digital is available to you.
    Last edited by mtv; 20-04-11 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Krueger (20-04-11)

• Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast