Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Places to see in WA

Thanks

Default Places to see in WA

I fly out tonight for a two week "holiday" to WA. I have a job interview in Kalgoorlie, but am taking the time to explore as I have never seen WA before.

What are the must see things and places whilst i'm here? I will be hiring a 4WD so driving will be my mode of transport.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Are you spending any time in Perth, or just changing planes on the way to Kal?
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

hmm, if the interview is with Kalboy, It'll probably be in a pub ....

2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

I've lived in WA for 35 years if you do find anything interesting let me know.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hughdman For This Useful Post:

best4less (20-04-11),Godzilla (20-04-11),vk6xlr (20-04-11)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hughdman View Post
    I've lived in WA for 35 years if you do find anything interesting let me know.
    you might want to get out of maylands if you want to see something interesting.....

Just the other night i was licking salt off a skimpy's nipple, drinking tequila out of her belly button and sucking lemon out of her mouth. She had a bit of tongue action going as well. Mind you that sort of thing is illegal these days, but I do find it interesting.....

Speaking of illegal stuff, anyone heard from don benosee lately ?
    Last edited by hoe; 20-04-11 at 06:15 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (20-04-11),marty 17 (20-04-11),msquares (21-04-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Pinnacles and Monkey Mia are both worth a look if you are driving that way
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

• The Following User Says Thank You to best4less For This Useful Post:

msquares (21-04-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Like besty said the pinnacles are worthwhile seeing and a bit south of there (forget the name) there is a huge sand dune (fun to run up and down or roll).
    If you want to go further south there are some caves near Margaret River

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    he not been on,more than likely he got tired of arguing with sanity.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quokka Soccer !
    It might be pollictically, socially and environmentally incorrect, but the name still makes me laugh.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Possibly didnt get bail this time

Thanks

If you've never been to WA, there's plenty to see. Kal is nothing but a big red hole in the ground surrounded by a few pubs littered with cheap whores. I can't say anything else without being politically incorrect. If you've got the time, head down to the south west. Go see Margaret River, Dusnborough, Yallingup and the caves. If wineries are you thing, the region has them in spades. Also a few boutique breweries down there with some very nice Ales. If you've got time, do the trip down through the Furguson Valley and through Gnomesville, Baillingup, Nannup & Bridgetown then head across to the highway for Margs.

Once you're done in Margs, do the run down Caves Road to Augusta, to see the Lighthouse and the Southern most tip of the Australian mainland. Also where the Southern and Indian Oceans meet. From Augusta head to Walpole and the Valley of the Giants. Go do the Treetop Walk there. Then head to the bakery in Denmark for lunch. Head into the hills around Denmark and admire the view.

From there, you're about an hour from Albany. Plenty to see and do around there. Whaling station, Middleton Beach, Frenchmans Bay, Mt Clarence, Emu Point etc etc etc. If you've got time after all that, head about 240km east of Albany towards Exmouth and go camping at Pt Anne. If you do, make sure you're prepared. You'll likely be completely alone and there's no services or homes for at least 80km.

All of that is within 500km of Perth. If you head north, there's huge distances between anything interesting. The Pinaccles just out of Cervantes, are worth a look but from there to the next interesting thing is about 250km to Dongorra and the bent trees. From there its about 80km to Geraldton, which doesn't do much for most and about another 180km to Kalbarri which is worth spending a few days. Beyond Kalbarri, you've got Denham, Monky Mia, Shell Beach and the Stromatolites all within reasonable proximity of each other although they're a fair way further north. Then there's Exmouth and Coral Bay further up. By that stage, you're about 1100km North of Perth. If you feel the need to keep going, aside from Pt Sampson, there really isn't a whole lot between there and Broome which is about 2600km from Perth.

Up to you which way you want to head. South West = lots of shit very close. Lots of trees, booze, cheese and food. North West = bugger all shit miles apart. Lots of sand and not much else.

When my family come for the first time from the east, I always take them to the South West. More to see for first timers and if you've got a 4by, all the better. Pick yourself up a copy of the latest 4 Wheel Drive Days Out of Perth and the toppo maps of the areas you're going. Having a 4by adds piles more to the agenda and gets you away from the touristy tripe.

Hope this helps a little.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

anyone (21-04-11),Godzilla (20-04-11),marty 17 (21-04-11),msquares (21-04-11),mtv (21-04-11)

Thanks

treetop walk down near walpole I think, lots of wineries in the southwest - margaret river & ferguson valley
    Hyden for a bloody big wave rock
    woteva

• The Following User Says Thank You to omega99 For This Useful Post:

msquares (21-04-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    IIf you've got time after all that, head about 240km east of Albany towards Exmouth and go camping at Pt Anne.
    Albany and Exmouth are quite a distance apart, like 1700km+ I think you mean Esperance.

From there its about 80km to Geraldton, which doesn't do much for most
    Aint that the truth

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vk6xlr View Post
    Albany and Exmouth are quite a distance apart, like 1700km+ I think you mean Esperance.

Aint that the truth
    Yes, Esperance.... they both start with an E and both have equally little worth seeing.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Hazelnut Roll. Haven't been able to get them in Australia for about 30 years.
    For some reason they still make and sell them in the Colony.
    Yummo.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

We also have Kole Beer, Spearmint Milk and Polony.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bambbbam View Post
    Are you spending any time in Perth, or just changing planes on the way to Kal?
    Well, Getting to Perth, straight to KL and then back to Perth, so essentially have 14 days in Perth with my 4WD, and then I fly back.

Thanks

hmm, if the interview is with Kalboy, It'll probably be in a pub ....
    A mine actually. Could be some very nice $$ coming my way, though the conditions aren't ideal

you might want to get out of maylands if you want to see something interesting.....

Just the other night i was licking salt off a skimpy's nipple, drinking tequila out of her belly button and sucking lemon out of her mouth. She had a bit of tongue action going as well. Mind you that sort of thing is illegal these days, but I do find it interesting.....

Sounds like fun. All a little harmless drunken fun, how is that illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by best4less View Post
    Pinnacles and Monkey Mia are both worth a look if you are driving that way
    Just googled it, monkey mia looks amazing. I wonder if it's dolphin season. Pinnacles looks like fun in a 4wd

If you've never been to WA, there's plenty to see. Kal is nothing but a big red hole in the ground surrounded by a few pubs littered with cheap whores. I can't say anything else without being politically incorrect. If you've got the time, head down to the south west. Go see Margaret River, Dusnborough, Yallingup and the caves. If wineries are you thing, the region has them in spades. Also a few boutique breweries down there with some very nice Ales. If you've got time, do the trip down through the Furguson Valley and through Gnomesville, Baillingup, Nannup & Bridgetown then head across to the highway for Margs.

Once you're done in Margs, do the run down Caves Road to Augusta, to see the Lighthouse and the Southern most tip of the Australian mainland. Also where the Southern and Indian Oceans meet. From Augusta head to Walpole and the Valley of the Giants. Go do the Treetop Walk there. Then head to the bakery in Denmark for lunch. Head into the hills around Denmark and admire the view.

From there, you're about an hour from Albany. Plenty to see and do around there. Whaling station, Middleton Beach, Frenchmans Bay, Mt Clarence, Emu Point etc etc etc. If you've got time after all that, head about 240km east of Albany towards Exmouth and go camping at Pt Anne. If you do, make sure you're prepared. You'll likely be completely alone and there's no services or homes for at least 80km.

All of that is within 500km of Perth. If you head north, there's huge distances between anything interesting. The Pinaccles just out of Cervantes, are worth a look but from there to the next interesting thing is about 250km to Dongorra and the bent trees. From there its about 80km to Geraldton, which doesn't do much for most and about another 180km to Kalbarri which is worth spending a few days. Beyond Kalbarri, you've got Denham, Monky Mia, Shell Beach and the Stromatolites all within reasonable proximity of each other although they're a fair way further north. Then there's Exmouth and Coral Bay further up. By that stage, you're about 1100km North of Perth. If you feel the need to keep going, aside from Pt Sampson, there really isn't a whole lot between there and Broome which is about 2600km from Perth.

Up to you which way you want to head. South West = lots of shit very close. Lots of trees, booze, cheese and food. North West = bugger all shit miles apart. Lots of sand and not much else.

When my family come for the first time from the east, I always take them to the South West. More to see for first timers and if you've got a 4by, all the better. Pick yourself up a copy of the latest 4 Wheel Drive Days Out of Perth and the toppo maps of the areas you're going. Having a 4by adds piles more to the agenda and gets you away from the touristy tripe.

Hope this helps a little.
    Thanks, extremely helpful post. I was advised by a mate to get a 4WD rental for that exact same reason. Looks like South West is the way to go then, with a little treck up north for some 4WD fun
    Quote Originally Posted by omega99 View Post
    treetop walk down near walpole I think, lots of wineries in the southwest - margaret river & ferguson valley
    Hyden for a bloody big wave rock
    Is there anything else near wave rock? Looks interesting, but not if thats' the only thing there...

Treetop walk looks great! Definitely going to be going there.

Thanks

we did the south west in a rental car , no 4WD needed. defo take a day trip to Rottnest Island from Perth. while downtown take a tour of the perth mint , the WACA ground , Kings Park . south of Perth go to Fremantle Maritime Museum , take a walk along the Busselton Pier and enjoy the beaches near there.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tradesman View Post
    we did the south west in a rental car , no 4WD needed. defo take a day trip to Rottnest Island from Perth. while downtown take a tour of the perth mint , the WACA ground , Kings Park . south of Perth go to Fremantle Maritime Museum , take a walk along the Busselton Pier and enjoy the beaches near there.
    Agreed.
    Just be careful where you park your car and what you leave in it.
    We got our car broken into at Rockingham.
    We were only out of the car for maybe 5 minutes and they stole our mobile phones.
    I guess that goes for anywhere where there are tourist car parks.

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast