Thread: Why use a PSK08 instead of a PSK06?

Thanks

Default Why use a PSK08 instead of a PSK06?

I was just wondering why most of the Kingray amps let you use different power supplies and why would you use one over the other.

I also notice on their (GME) website that the PSK08 is 17.5V AC in the heading and 17.5V DC in the description and the PSK08F is 17.5V AC on both. Typo is my guess.

While I am asking questions, I have been using a few MDA20U amps and they seem to be working for me and come well recommended. I have not bought the MDA20L/H as all our digital channels in this area are in UHF band. Does not make sense to amplify signal you don't need. Is there any point to getting the L or H model except if you need VHF or FM reception?

Jim

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

MTV is the best one who can give you a quality answer but Kingray amps do have some odd voltages.
    I was once told that AC was better than DC for long leads as there is less voltage drop but for the average 10 metre runs, I cant see that it matters.
    And vagualy there was something about one or the other (AC/DC) was less prone to causing oxidisation under the old Star terminals used in 300 Tape connections.
    This oxidisation caused signal loss it was claimed.
    I have one 14 V DC Kingray amp, another 2 that are both AC and DC capable, one by changing a 'Jumper', another just self adjusts but presently I have an adjustable Voltage P/S unit feeding 19 V DC at 1 amp into an Injector on a 110 metre cable run with a MHW42 at the antenna and a SAM 4 way distribution amp in line.
    Being UHF here I only wanted a UHF amp with everything below band 5 (400 Mhz)blocked particularly FM Radio as there is a commercial transmitter in the vicinty.
    Being in a poor recption area, I dont want any 'out of band' signals being amplified if possible.
    I wanted a Kingray 1 amp P/S that they showed on their website a couple of years ago but unbelievably according to them, it didnt exist so thats why I set up this adjustable voltage P/S I have in use now.
    I have noted that GME Kingray have changed/altered the names and designations of their Amps in recent times but if they work as well as those I have now who cares.

as an aside, one of my Amps with all the markings and lettering as a GME Kingray MHA was never made by Kingray. I have the little leaflet that came with the MHA etc but according to Kingray, they have no record of that model.
    Bloody thing works well for a figment of my imagination.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 29-04-11 at 05:24 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

moke007 (29-04-11)

Thanks

Thanks for your input. I think it is a fantastic story (I have read it elsewhere) what you had to go through to get tv reception. Goes to show what is possible with some persistance. Does the amplifier perform much different if you reduced the voltage to 14V or increase voltage?

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    MTV is the best one who can give you a quality answer but Kingray amps do have some odd voltages.
    I was once told that AC was better than DC for long leads as there is less voltage drop but for the average 10 metre runs, I cant see that it matters.
    And vagualy there was something about one or the other (AC/DC) was less prone to causing oxidisation under the old Star terminals used in 300 Tape connections.
    This oxidisation caused signal loss it was claimed.
    I have one 14 V DC Kingray amp, another 2 that are both AC and DC capable, one by changing a 'Jumper', another just self adjusts but presently I have an adjustable Voltage P/S unit feeding 19 V DC at 1 amp into an Injector on a 110 metre cable run with a MHW42 at the antenna and a SAM 4 way distribution amp in line.
    Being UHF here I only wanted a UHF amp with everything below band 5 (400 Mhz)blocked particularly FM Radio as there is a commercial transmitter in the vicinty.
    Being in a poor recption area, I dont want any 'out of band' signals being amplified if possible.
    I wanted a Kingray 1 amp P/S that they showed on their website a couple of years ago but unbelievably according to them, it didnt exist so thats why I set up this adjustable voltage P/S I have in use now.
    I have noted that GME Kingray have changed/altered the names and designations of their Amps in recent times but if they work as well as those I have now who cares.

as an aside, one of my Amps with all the markings and lettering as a GME Kingray MHA was never made by Kingray. I have the little leaflet that came with the MHA etc but according to Kingray, they have no record of that model.
    Bloody thing works well for a figment of my imagination.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moke007 View Post
    Thanks for your input. I think it is a fantastic story (I have read it elsewhere) what you had to go through to get tv reception. Goes to show what is possible with some persistance. Does the amplifier perform much different if you reduced the voltage to 14V or increase voltage?

If the amp has the option to use either a PSK08 or a PSK06.

The amp will perform the same with either powersupply because the input from the powersupply is dc regulated within the amp.

Mick
    Last edited by mickstv; 30-04-11 at 12:25 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

moke007 (30-04-11)

Thanks

So it will be the same performance with either voltage? I guess it will regulate what ever it gets down to its working voltage 9V as an example.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Yes the performance will be the same. I've never actually measured the operating voltage but I would be guessing 5 to 12volts. I've got a new kingray amp sitting in the shed, I can't remember the model but I might set it up tomorrow just to see what voltage it's regulator outputs at.

Mick

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

moke007 (30-04-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

Kingray vary their current output too depending on the model.
    The reason I went for this higher current P/S was at the suggestion of a local fellow who did TV repairs and Antenna installs as well as eventualy opening a Tandy branch where I bought these MHA's.
    We were talking about remote located antennas and feed lines and losses and it was his suggestion to try a higher Voltage/Current P/S but at the time I didnt have the antenna where it is now.
    This was all predigital days and I knew from the reception at another house about 200 metres away it was possible to get a reasonably good signal but what was the good if I lost it in the cable ?
    The way I understood his suggestion was to go just a few volts higher as the power supplies arent 100% accurate along with a higher current to overcome Voltage drop and it might 'push' the amplification up a bit without causing overload etc.
    As I mentioned earlier, Kingray according to their site did have a 1 amp P/S at one time and it was linked as an optional P/S to some of their MHA's.
    So why make one if a lower Voltage/Current one can do the same job?
    I tried it and it works for me and has done so for well over 15 months.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

moke007 (30-04-11)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

You can drive them at +5VDC and they will work. My test meter supports +5VDC out for exactly that purpose.

The PSK08 is a 17.5VAC and is cheaper because as it does not have a internal bridge rectifier and filter cap.
    The PSK06 is a 14VDC, so it has a bridge rectifier and filer cap.

The MHU, MHW amps have a built it rectifier and filter capacitor on the main PCB board as well, so the 17VAC is converted to DC.
    It is no problem for the DC from a PSK06 to pass through the second rectifier either. It drops a bit of voltage, but as I say, they will run off 5VDC supplied to them too

DC tends to be avoided were possible as it tends to corrode connectors as the current always runs the same way. That's why alternating current is preferred.
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

gulliver (01-05-11),moke007 (30-04-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

quote: DC tends to be avoided were possible as it tends to corrode connectors as the current always runs the same way. That's why alternating current is preferred.[/QUOTE]

I got something right for a change and my memory hasnt faded as yet.
    This was way back when it was all Hills Telstar MHA's (1963+) and 300 ohm tape running 27 V DC when I was told that but they were all DC as far as I know so you didnt have any real choice.
    My very first 'Booster' was in an Aluminium tube about 250 mm (10 inch) long X 30 mm's (over an Inch) in diameter and was powered by a 6V latern battery.
    No idea who made it or what the gain was but it worked as I got a signal with it and there were times we could even see what that signal was.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 30-04-11 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks

Given most connections are now F connectors and not saddle and screw the need for AC powering is reduced in most situations...

Most of the newer kingray amps prefer DC and the MDA's are designed specifically for DC as are the bigger distribution amps.

Premium Member

Thanks

Again if memory serves me correctly, there was a laquer that could be sprayed over those old Star and saddle clamp connections to minimise oxidation, particularly in coastal or high industrial areas (we didnt know what Acid Rain was then) but by the time most of these connections oxidised, they had been in place for many years and technology had introduced upgraded models to replace them with.