Thread: NSW, Solar bonus scheme to be scrapped

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default NSW, Solar bonus scheme to be scrapped

Sydney Daily Telegraph, Saturday 30 April 2011.
    Nwes, page 17
    Article by the State Political Editor, Andrew Clennell.

'The failed Solar Bonus Scheme- which backfired massively, driving up power prices throughout NSW was frozen by the State Government yesterday and appears likely to be closed.
    The Governmant froze the subsidy scheme to all new applicants in a bid to stem what Energy Minister Chris Hatcher called a "torrent" of taxpayer funds.
    The $1.9 billion scheme has been the major cause of power rises and a $750 million blowout in its costs extended the Government's budget "black hole" past the $5 billion mark.
    Those who applied to enter the scheme before midnight yesterday would still be 'ineligable' to receive the power subsidy. (Note, I think that should read eligable.)
    Mr Hatcher announced he was suspending the scheme for two months with a Solar Summit at Parliment next Friday to decide its future. But the Minister indicated the closure was imminent.
    Under the scheme, those who bought solar panels are paid for the energy they put back on to the grid.'
    Why would any scheme that pays out 60 cents a unit for power generated to the home/panel owner and then onsells it for 20 cents a unit to the general public fail to be a money maker ??
    It makes perfect sense to me to sell anything at one third of what it costs.

Amazing now how this alone is responsible for the rising power costs so again its an other "Save the Planet but Cripple the Population " half arsed GREEN Initative.
    I wonder how 'Iron clad' those payment contracts are ????
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Exclamation Existing Contracts to remain valid for the term.

However I can see that the rebate rate will stay the same, but that could end up lower than new tariffs.

The Government's has been updated; a key point being:

"The Government has said that if changes are made to the Scheme, they will not affect existing participants. Under the legislation, an existing customer is one whose eligible generator has been connected to the electricity grid.

If changes to the legislation are put to the Parliament, the Government would propose that an 'existing customer' is one who has purchased (or entered into an agreement that could result in a financial loss if terminated) an eligible generator and applied to connect it to the grid before the date changes to the legislation are enacted."

Under the Government's proposal, this means that as long as a contract is signed to before changes to the Solar Bonus Scheme are implemented and an application to feed electricity to the mains grid is submitted; households can lock in the 60c per kilowatt hour payment for the remaining duration of the program; which is due to end in January 2017.

The high feed in rate and structure of the NSW Solar Bonus Scheme means that payback on a can be far faster than in most other Australian states.

Which State are you in? Quite a discrepency.

Last edited by beer4life; 30-04-11 at 06:03 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

With a new Liberal State Government in NSW who have about a 2/3rds Majority control of the Parliment , I would not be surprised to see anything happen regarding changes to the Solar Panel Scheme if they could 'Stick it ' to both labor and the Greens to gain Political mileage.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (01-05-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Talking Que Sera Sera...

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    With a new Liberal State Government in NSW who have about a 2/3rds Majority control of the Parliment , I would not be surprised to see anything happen regarding changes to the Solar Panel Scheme if they could 'Stick it ' to both labor and the Greens to gain Political mileage.

Seems to me that you may have unwittingly stated the reverse of what you intended.

Premium Member
    Thanks

just another politician lying about solar power system owners making power more expensive when it was the lack of maintainence, the salaries they paid for the incompetant people running the power companies.If the people running the gov power were in the private sector they would have been sacked many years ago,,,just my 2 cents worth.