Thread: Window condensation prevention

Thanks

Default Window condensation prevention

Hi All

I am living in a brick veneer house in sydney hills district for nearly 1.5 yr now. The windows are aluminium frame and single pane and are possibly on large side (1.4m h x 2-3m W). In winter days like now, they always have condensation on the inside glass panels. I'm not sure if there is a good way to stop this (apart from doubleglazing). Does anyone else (even with smaller size windows) experience this (I don't seem to notice condensation on the neighbour's windows)?.

M

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool Dehumidifier.

Quote Originally Posted by mtanudji View Post
    Hi All

I am living in a brick veneer house in sydney hills district for nearly 1.5 yr now. The windows are aluminium frame and single pane and are possibly on large side (1.4m h x 2-3m W). In winter days like now, they always have condensation on the inside glass panels. I'm not sure if there is a good way to stop this (apart from doubleglazing). Does anyone else (even with smaller size windows) experience this (I don't seem to notice condensation on the neighbour's windows)?.

M
    G'Day Cobber,
    This is but one of many on the market. Don't be fooled that the ultra cheap ones will be adequate.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks
    Thanked 3,475 Times in 1,535 Posts

what kind of heating you running? what is ventilation like

Thanks

hey mtanudji

condensation is caused by moisture recirculating around your house and you will find that it settles in the inside of the windows as the outside air cools the windows. So as B4L sorta stated - you need to remove the moist air inside your home. Moisture can creep into the house through the bricks due to damp under the house - so make sure that you have adequate ventilation under the house. Now to remove the moisture inside the house - Ventilate, open the house through out the day.

also what sort of heating/cooling do you have? Airconditioners are dehumidifiers - where natural gas has a lot of water and vents that moisture, so proper ventilation is a must. Electric heating tends to be good for a room, but not for the house and as such you close up the house through winter.

I would have a good look for the cause of the moisture - look under the house to see if you have water sitting around, if so there isn't much you can do except the option of a specific unit to remove moisture. Have a look at what you do during the night with your house, open rooms are better - but then heating becomes an issue , sorry catch 22. If you have airconditioning - check the drains, they might be blocked and can't remove the water.

Also don't forget humans release a lot of moisture - so that needs to be removed and if you are experiencing mild nights - try an open window

good luck

hope something here helps

cheers

f
    有段者