Thread: Is This A Write Off?

Thanks

Default Is This A Write Off?

Driving home from work today when i slowed down for a fella making a left turn infront of me. Person behind me wasnt pay attention to the road (ill never forget his facial expression from when he looked up from changing his cd or something and released he was to close to stop safely.). He ended up rear ending me at about 60km/h.

I was just wondering if there are any smash repairers/mechs on the forum that could give me a idea of wheather this car is going to be a write off or not. I know you cant say for certain as its really at the discreation of the insurance company. But im pretty sure you could gauge a rough idea by looking at some pictures of it.

Mainly why im in such a hurry to know is that im pretty reliant on a car these days, if its likely to be a write off i have to start looking for a new car.

What i think is major issue is the damage to the right rear quater panel, doesnt this mean the entire body is twisted? Is this repairable. I dont know alot when it comes to cars

The car was insured for ~4K with AAMI.

Any input would be awesome.

Cheers

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Mate sorry to hear about that
    There is nothing worse than loosing your wheels when you need them
    to get your jobs done
    I hope the insurance company play nice with you mate
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Having seen the pics, i dont think its that bad at first glance.

Main point that i cannot see is that the boot floor has no damage.

The rear drivers side quarter panel is an easy fix. Yes they can be cut out and replaced if totally mangled but yours is nothing.

What may make it difficult is if the boot floor and chassis have twisted causing that buckle in the quater panel.

If its just a bumper, metal crumpel bar under the plastic bar, rear quater repair it may just come up as being repairable.

Chassis twist or boot floor crumpled, kiss her goodbye. Beyond her value.

Main thing is your ok.

Thanks

by looking at the pics and have dealt with aami before, i think u might get a write off if u speak to the right panel beater.

Thanks

Hard to say if it will be written off but its not far from a guarantee write off going by the value if its insured for 4K

Thanks

I've seen hundreds of smashed cars in my time.
    If there's a kink in the roof, it's a write off. If you want it written off, make a kink appear in the roof without damaging the paint.

Your car is a 50/50 situation. I'd guess there's $3-4k damage there, and going on the 75% rule if AAMI get a quote from the cheapest panel shop and it's under $3k you will get aftermarket panels, or they will simply put your car on the robot and stretch it back to shape to get the car square and the 1/4's right, bog up the kinks in the side and replace the beaver, bumper section.

AAMI go with the cheapest quote.
    So in this instance, if they fix it thats what'll happen. You won't know the difference but it's not your prized ferrari so who gives a shit.

If they wanna fix it and you don't like the idea of what I said, then let them fix it and sell it when you get it back. Simple as that.

Ultimately, if the boot lid shuts, the engine works, the radio works and the car is safe, it's good enough to get your ass around in.

Thanks

One other thing is ive found AAMI a pain in the arse when it comes to getting a quality repair. They screw the panel beater hard for a better price.

If the car is written off and you know a little about pushing out the guard, changing the bumper etc you could take the cheque, patch up and keep the car. She dont have to look perfect you know, a little spray can auto paint over some secondhand bumpers and bits will go a long way.

One car i had was hit like yours. The assesor will look at all your options fitted, point out if you have new tyres or just had the brakes fixed etc to try to get the max value for your car if your not on agreed value.
    He told me they would payout the total value minus the wreakers trade price.
    You take it to a wreaker they deal with for the balance.

I asked if i could take the cheque and keep the car to repair myself and they were ok with it. A hammer, some second hand parts and paint and she got me around for a few more years. She didnt look perfect but who cares when its a run around bomb. Police never bothered me.

Please check the rules in the state your in, regarding keeping the car for repair. They were ok with this in Vic.

Its an option if your desperate to stay on the road cheaply.
    Last edited by global88; 05-05-08 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks

I don't think they'd write that off. But again it depends on the quotes from the panel beaters.

Thanks

I'd be surprised if they write it off. The quarter panel is an easy fix. No cutting required. They'll probably weld some rods on and pull it out and a light bog. Rear door jams don't appear to have closed in. It's amazing your rear lights remained intact. All depends on extent of under boot damage.

Thanks

hey guys
    thanks for all the input
    the car got towed today morning, i think most of you are right, its not going to be a write off otherwise they woulda told us already .

Oh well

thanks again everyone

cheers

Thanks

from what icould see (im lebo panel beating in teh blood ) its not a write off if yo uwant us to tell you for sure take a pic of the underside of the car that will generally indicated if the chasis has been twisted hence a write-off.

Thanks

yep guys
    got a call from aami today
    its a writeoff, pretty bad chasis twist appantly.

thanks for all the input