Thread: Help with camera selection

Banned
    Thanks

Cool Help with camera selection

I'm doing a quote for a nursery & asking advice on camera selection. Cameras inside the sales area are no problem & a couple of choke points have been identified outside which with a bit of lighting will be no problem as well. Where I am stuck is two cameras watching the parking area at front & two cameras watching the outdoor area at the back. Both these areas are about 80m x 80m. & will be lit by sensor lights but I'm a bit concerned about the uneveness of the lighting. Can anyone recommend a suitable setup for these areas. I have emphasised , emphasised , emphasised that the results will be pretty much dependant on the lighting but how he interperets this I'm not sure.

Look Here ->

Thanks

You've been around long enough to know how this scenario will ultimately play out. Nothing you do will be good enough for the client and they'll ultimately choose to ignore your advice about the lighting preferring instead to blame you for the lack of CSI like images.

I'd be using 1/2" full body WDRs with quality DN ASP lenses, for the absolutely best chance of quality images. Whether or not your client wishes to dig that far into their pockets of course remains to be seen.

Sound them out and see how much you think you can get away with.

Thanks

I would ask them what the want to achieve in the 80m x 80m areas. If it is to catch someone and convict we know it wont work day or night unless you use a 16MP camera and ridiculous amounts of storage. Basically advise them not to bother unless they are willing to put 4 cameras in each area

The next step I would take if it only to observe people during business hours, I would do a rough design with google sketchup as can be seen in my video links below. This will give a very accurate view of what they will and wont see. I would charge a small fee with a rebate if they buy from you as it will take you an hour to do.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4zXx_Jd7QE"]Coffee shop video surveillance example[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D98GKFdN544"]How to model megapixel cameras in 3D CAD[/ame]
    Tim Norton

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CCTVguru For This Useful Post:

downunderdan (15-05-11),watchdog (14-05-11)

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Thanks Tim & Drift. I'm thinking of re-emphasising the fact that results will only be as good as the lighting. The car park will be having two cameras while the back outdoor area will be having four (two on either side)
    He has given me a copy of one quote he has received (from a mate) that seems to provide a Kobi "kit". While the Kobi DVRs are quite ok for what he wants & the K-28HCDV-1 cameras will be ok for the short range sites it is the outdoor areas that are the problem. Typically he wants minimum cameras, maximum coverage & identification quality. I think I'll tell him he's dreaming.

Thanks

The 3 don't mix. Send him here to get an understanding of .
    Tim Norton

Thanks

Clients like that often need a 'competitive' quote as well as an 'effective' quote. Bronze, silver and gold etc.

Howsoever frustrating, to most people, a camera is a camera and a DVR is a DVR. You need to educate them on the difference, or you will tend to keep losing to an inferior quote.

Ask him if he needs the "enhance" option :-)

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

watchdog (15-05-11)

Thanks

Watchdog,

I know the Cam39IRHR cameras from KOBI and yes they are good for smaller areas the CAM38TWD will do a better job across a bigger area, this is a 680tvl True WDR camera and will out preform the IR model in Low Light and WDR obviously.... Another suggestion is to go IP with the SONY SNC-140 which will out WDR and Low Light any IP Camera I have played with...

Get a quote from the QLD KOBI Boys on IP and then compar educate the customer on the moto" Less is More with IP " Use a QNAP NVR for the price and spend the money on better cameras...

But first things first ask his budget and see if he is serious or just wants average quailty Cameras. Even get a DEMO from the boys at KOBI as I know they are great like that.

Jamie

• The Following User Says Thank You to MegapixelMan For This Useful Post:

watchdog (16-05-11)