Thread: Play media from LINUX to xbox360

Thanks

Default Play media from LINUX to xbox360

Bugger having a windows media center, perhaps you can try this.

I'm using amahi so I followed

anyway popped up in the XBOX 360 ok, so one step closer to having it do useful things....

I have to go on to XBL and do an update to ??? so I can play .avi etc which I am not keen to do....

edit: tested it with a picture of t1ts...also a sample wmv file.
    Last edited by z1gg33; 15-05-11 at 04:52 AM. Reason: edit edit edit edit edit edit edit edit
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Look Here ->

Thanks

Following on from the above, reading the posts about the update seems to render (some) copied games useless.....

which I do not wish to do. BUT 'underline, bold, capital letters, in red', it annoys me I can not play media files (in particular .avi) files from the linux machine... that's just plain MS BS.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

Just adding to thread.....

Note: Untested as yet... (but on the to-to list). THE above works as its formated to xbox format, BUT anything thats not gets the 'optional media update required' message.

Like many, I have not logged into XBL, and so I do not have the Media Update (old old old just this xbox was not updated or it was with a different user).

(going by many posts this is locked to XBL account/console). and @ this stage NOT prepared to log in and be forced to be updated by the new MS update.

So one that seems to be popular/works is

(does transcoding - see note).... FU MS

be more than happy for anybody to provide ANY linux solution!!!

edit: I thought (wrongly) that a 12625 would auto do the media update..... doh!!! nothing is that simple
    Last edited by z1gg33; 15-06-11 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks

dang, thought I have a go at this today.... but upon further reading...

"MediaTomb enables users to stream digital media to UPnP compatible devices like the PlayStation 3 (the Xbox 360 is not yet supported). Several alternatives exist, such as FUPPES, ps3mediaserver, and uShare. One of MediaTomb's distinguishing features is the ability to customize the server layout based on extracted metadata (scriptable virtual containers); MediaTomb is highly flexible. "

looks like I am still looking for a solution....

Thanks

The 360 is a crap media server, my old xbox with xbmc shits all over it for now. BUT, there is codec work going on for freestyle dash which should make media playing a whole lot better. I havent tried it but i have read that you can download the official 12625 dash update from ms and put it on a usb drive and update to 12625 that way - best to google that one or go to xbox-scene.

Thanks

LR,

Yeah I did the usb update thing to 12625..... but whenever I go to play any video file other than wmv it tells me that I need to d/l install "media update", reading various xb forums indicated that as you suggest xb360 is crap as a media player (unless its re-encoded to xbox360 specs - try doing that with XYZ TB lol...), and that the only way is to log into XBL and install it, for obvious reasons, I do not wish to do this to be honest I am not sure why I bother with it, from a practical POV, the difference for me will be either playing media on a 17" lcd (laptop that plays from the network already) or a 22" lcd (that the XB360 is connected too), almost hardly worth the effort really. lol.....

although might be cool to play it [media from xbox360) on the plasmas at some stage (but I think that wd tv (or eqiv) would be better suited more useable/portable etc)

I guess like others I should just flash back to original, install the MS media update, then fingers crossed flash with 1.9 (being new to XB360) I am dubious as for the amount of time I would watch media vs play games is so disproportional that its too risky.

plus I'd like to see this work on my linux machine. (but do not really want to spent THAT many hours doing it - for the above reason)

I guess I could just as easily plug the xbox1 in and be done with it as another option.

edit: I am going to give it a go, but reading around seems even with transcoding, the quality is fairly average on the 360.... might spent some time just checking it out. then give up!!
    Last edited by z1gg33; 16-06-11 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z1gg33 View Post
    LR,

Yeah I did the usb update thing to 12625..... but whenever I go to play any video file other than wmv it tells me that I need to d/l install "media update", reading various xb forums indicated that as you suggest xb360 is crap as a media player (unless its re-encoded to xbox360 specs - try doing that with XYZ TB lol...), and that the only way is to log into XBL and install it, for obvious reasons, I do not wish to do this to be honest I am not sure why I bother with it, from a practical POV, the difference for me will be either playing media on a 17" lcd (laptop that plays from the network already) or a 22" lcd (that the XB360 is connected too), almost hardly worth the effort really. lol.....

although might be cool to play it [media from xbox360) on the plasmas at some stage (but I think that wd tv (or eqiv) would be better suited more useable/portable etc)

I guess like others I should just flash back to original, install the MS media update, then fingers crossed flash with 1.9 (being new to XB360) I am dubious as for the amount of time I would watch media vs play games is so disproportional that its too risky.

plus I'd like to see this work on my linux machine. (but do not really want to spent THAT many hours doing it - for the above reason)

I guess I could just as easily plug the xbox1 in and be done with it as another option.

edit: I am going to give it a go, but reading around seems even with transcoding, the quality is fairly average on the 360.... might spent some time just checking it out. then give up!!
    If this is your jtag then dont update as you will kill it or at least corrupt the nand, hopefully your efuses are protected. You could use tversity or ps3 media server to transcode on the fly but honestly my xbox1 with hd cables and output to 720P is way better than the 360.

Thanks

z1gg33 - I think you are flogging a dead horse.

Had the same goal a few months back, although our 360 is stock standard as purchased from the shop. Considering this is the same company that has Windows Media Player <shudder even saying that horrible app> I understand nothing could be so easy!

Save a crapload of time and buy one of these puppies.

Amazed what this plays, has network interface + HDMI. Plays nicely with my Linux boxes where most of our media is stored, even though accessed using Samba. Leave the bad puppy (360) for playing games, as that is really all it is useful for

Edit: forgot to mention sat/terrestrial box in the kitchen, record shows, unplug the 2.5" HDD that stores the shows, plug it into the front of above, and just plays. Couldn't ask for more. Try that on your 360! </end sales rant>
    Last edited by porkchops; 16-06-11 at 06:11 PM.
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

yep.... almost bought one here a few weeks ago... fell though
    yeah, yeah I know...... but well ummm errrr Linux is cooler than MS and making MS do something it does not want to do.... well that is just for pleasure...

point taken.... leaving it alone.

Thanks

I'm being google lazy, but wondering if you can run a linux distro on your 360, like back in the older days, first generation xbox / Playstation2, where there was a competition as to whom could do this, sucessfully. There's a challenge.

Only downside, possibly renders your xbox redundant for gaming, but think of all the goodness you could unleash with a basic distro + VLC (the REAL media player)

Edit: Re-reading whole post, must also add dont do XBox Live, therefore never went any further than about 5 minutes of wasted time, as I knew I was pushing crap up hill if I tried, but love your determination.....
    Last edited by porkchops; 16-06-11 at 06:23 PM.
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

Actually you can run linux on a 360 but not sure how you'd set it up to use linux and 360 dashboard, i'm sure you can do it using say xexmenu/xex loader or from freestyle dash but dont know if the media playing would utilise the full xbox hardware or not- food for thought, might have a tinker with a spare jtag360 i have.

Thanks

wont have time to try this (busy busy busy).... but thought I'd pop it on the list. Seems others like this and has had some good press..

Untested.

Further reading <---here

Thanks

sorry, reviving a dead thread.

but as expected, serviio is the go..... (jtag falcon)... amazing stuff...

mp4,wmv,avi.... still trying to index 8 tb.... will be a while yet.... low load mind you, so even that's impressive..

still in testing phase.... but I really like what I see.... plus the later version let you youtube and the rest of em....

might be worth a look see ...
    Last edited by z1gg33; 18-12-11 at 07:30 PM. Reason: x=v