Thread: Fibre Modem

Thanks

Default Fibre Modem

Has anybody had any experince with the GE S734DV Models

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

I have used them on most of my installations. I find cameras die before the modems do.

Thanks

Default fibre modem

ok, what is the best way to set then up, i have ask the supplier they're scraping the heads, too hard

Thanks

Are the units Rack Mount or Stand Alone? What are you trying to achieve?
    Last edited by intelliGEORGE; 18-05-11 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks

Default fibre modem

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Are the units Rack Mount or Stand Alone? What are you trying to achieve?
    I have a rack mount to receive four video channels and transmits data to control a ptz, then i have a stand alone that transmits the four video channel and receiver the data for ptz.

Thanks

What PTZ's are you using and which protocol do you wish to use?
    Last edited by intelliGEORGE; 18-05-11 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks

Default fibre modem

What PTZ protocol do you wish to use?
    samsumg 9600

Thanks

You need to set the Transmitter/Receiver (Standalone)rotary switch to position 6 (RS-485 2-Wire).
    You need to set the Receiver (Rack mount)card rotary switch to position 6 also.
    You need to wire the PTZ RS-485 [DATA IN +/-] the Standalone Transmitter/Receiver [DATA OUT +/-]
    You need to wire the KEYBOARD [DATA OUT +/-] to the Receiver (Rack mount) [DATA IN +/-]

Keyboard Data out --> Rack Receiver Data In --> Fibre Link --> Standalone Data out --> PTZ Data IN.
    Last edited by intelliGEORGE; 18-05-11 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks

You need to set the Transmitter/Receiver (Standalone)rotary switch to position 6 (RS-485 2-Wire).
    You need to set the Receiver (Rack mount)card rotary switch to position 6 also.
    You need to wire the PTZ RS-485 [DATA IN +/-] the Standalone Transmitter/Receiver [DATA OUT +/-]
    You need to wire the KEYBOARD [DATA OUT +/-] to the Receiver (Rack mount) [DATA IN +/-]

Keyboard Data out --> Rack Receiver Data In --> Fibre Link --> Standalone Data out --> PTZ Data IN.
    The tramsitter/receiver stand alone does not have a rotary switch, it has a 2 postion dip switch only

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirporky View Post
    The tramsitter/receiver stand alone does not have a rotary switch, it has a 2 postion dip switch only
    Are you sure its a S734DV?

Last edited by intelliGEORGE; 19-05-11 at 12:14 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

haligonian (02-06-11)

Thanks

HI,

I have used the GE and have found them to be rock solid but on a few jobs now the Gold Coast Airport is useing another Brand with the same specs as the GE and they are running in Airport Data Rack and TX are in a B&R rack near the carpark entry.... Not one problem since day 1 and running over 16 months now with KOBI cameras and Dallmeir DVR's.

Also alot cheaper then GE

4 Channel Fibre Optic Kit, Encodes Analogue Video Data to 8-10 Bit Digital for Transmission Over 1 or 2 Fibers, Kit Includes 1 x Video Transmitter & 1 x Video Receiver (Video + Data). My Price from Video Security is $915ex KIT ( Either Blade or Box Mount )

Cheers
    Jamie
    Last edited by MegapixelMan; 19-05-11 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks

Are you sure its a S734DV?

Yes that the model and thanks i did not notice the rotary switch on it, it's was install in a dark spot.

By the way Many Thanks

Thanks

We are using several pairs of these at a container port, and I must admit I am not overly familiar with them. However, a problem that has arisen with one of the pairs recently is that the communications to a PTZ is occasionally "freezing up"(about once every couple weeks). Video from the three cameras transmitting through that pair still gets received at the DVR, but down-powering the S734DV on the camera side seems to be the only way to re-establish communication with the PTZ, which makes me think the problem lies with the S734DV itself, but perhaps it is something else?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haligonian View Post
    We are using several pairs of these at a container port, and I must admit I am not overly familiar with them. However, a problem that has arisen with one of the pairs recently is that the communications to a PTZ is occasionally "freezing up"(about once every couple weeks). Video from the three cameras transmitting through that pair still gets received at the DVR, but down-powering the S734DV on the camera side seems to be the only way to re-establish communication with the PTZ, which makes me think the problem lies with the S734DV itself, but perhaps it is something else?
    First thing to do is establish that it is in fact the modem that is intermittent. I would swap over the suspect pair with a working pair and see if the problem follows the modem.

I'd also check the copper on both ends. Container port = salt water = oxidisation of copper wiring. Poor connection will lead to dropped packets of data which could lock up the serial interface.

Finally, swap out the PTZ with a working one to see if the problem follows the swap out.
    Last edited by intelliGEORGE; 02-06-11 at 11:42 PM.

haligonian (02-06-11)

Thanks

Not aiming at Haligonian but I often wonder if fault finding needs to be taught... or can it be taught, in fact I have been asked to include it in training courses... to me it is just process of elimination starting with the most basic and obvious.

Too often people jump for the complex and hardest fix when usually connections and voltage issues - i.e. voltage drop on long cable runs or overloaded PSU's.

Also why are techs not carrying the correct and appropiate tools - basic stuff like multimeter, f-set and phone butt - let alone soldering irons etc.

Thanks

It would seem a lightning storm did our troubleshooting for us at the container port - after an apparent hit near the PTZ it stopped functioning altogether, except for a video feed looking straight down, and the RS-485 output on the S734DVT went with it, being measured at 0vDC, so even restarting it no longer "fixed" things.

Other events also conspired in our favor, as the fibre had needed to be pulled back and re-run through a deeper trench, so it was completely tested at that time. The AC power had also needed to be entirely reconfigured in the building where the DVT was located. Not that we really thought either of those were the problem, since we were still getting video, but it made it much easier to convince the customer we needed to swap the S734DVT with another one on site.(The individual cost of the units had made them reluctant to do so before the other changes had been made, as they didn't want to lose a second unit to the same possible causes.)

After first installing the new PTZ, we then first swapped the S734DVR's, since they are side-by-side, just to see, but the problem with the RS-485 comms was only resolved after we also switched the DVT's. Now we have video from, but no communications with, the other 4 cameras the second DVT was serving, unfortunately, but the customer was willing to accept that situation, as the PTZ is the priority for them. In time, we will be looking to replace the bad DVT with an 8-channel unit, as they want to add a couple cameras at its location, so we expect to then see a full resolution of the issue, but until then,

That makes complete sense to me, but when we did the swap, I noticed both DVT's had the RS-485 connected to the DVT's [DATA IN +/-] terminals. Since I didn't do the original install and they had both worked that way(until recently, that is), I would assume the IN and OUT are in parallel, so is that a case where it will work either way, but it's more optimal to use the proper terminals? Or is it possible it could have caused the problem we eventually had to deal with? I guess I'm wondering if I should I run back down and switch the connections before we lose the second DVT, too?

Thanks

That makes complete sense to me, but when we did the swap, I noticed both DVT's had the RS-485 connected to the DVT's [DATA IN +/-] terminals. Since I didn't do the original install and they had both worked that way(until recently, that is), I would assume the IN and OUT are in parallel, so is that a case where it will work either way, but it's more optimal to use the proper terminals? Or is it possible it could have caused the problem we eventually had to deal with? I guess I'm wondering if I should I run back down and switch the connections before we lose the second DVT, too?
    As per table 8 on page 8 in the manual (from intelligeorges post) rs485 2 wire uses terminals 5 & 6 which on the unit are marked data in. The selector switch changes the internal connections. My experience with these units is with an rs422 system where they are wired up data in at receiver end and data out at the transmitter end.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ske_tech For This Useful Post:

haligonian (16-08-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ske_tech View Post
    My experience with these units is with an rs422 system where they are wired up data in at receiver end and data out at the transmitter end.
    Just for future reference, in the case of RS-422, what should the selector be switch at?

Thanks

Just for future reference, in the case of RS-422, what should the selector be switch at?
    "4" RS-422 2-Wire

haligonian (20-08-11)