Thread: Dual Boot Tablets

Thanks

Default Dual Boot Tablets

Hi, have been doing my homework....the iPad2/netbook/Android exercise and have seen some dual-booting tablets out there...they can load up both Windows and Android....which seems to me a good idea....Windows for Excel/word etc and Andriod for the fun stuff?

Does anyone have experience with thes, or opinions on them?..what to stay clear of?

Thanks all!

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Android is not only toy!
    Android can handle Word, Excel and Power Point just fine with apps like 'Documents to Go'.

Why wreck your pad with a dodgy unreliable operating system?

Google and Apple also know why it is better to use an OS based on a UNIX kernel.

I think it is a shame that most people think that there is no substitute for Windows.
    Well I can safely say that a tablet is not a substitute for a PC.
    A tablet is not the choice where you really need Windows, like Professional Audio and Video production or industrial applications designed only under Windows or in depth heavy Office use.

These dual boot systems are very likely to be a weak compromise solution and therefore overpriced for the performance they deliver.

The power of Android comes from it's simplicity.
    Running an over bloated dinosaur like Windows 7 is no match for the hardware.
    MS might come up with a less resource hungry version of Windows 8 for on-chip systems one day, but ATM that is only a rumour.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Prior to moving to Australia I stripped out a 2GB hard drive from my 2 (his/hers) computers and bought a with the plan that it would be enough to get me through till I could get some desktops set up and install the old HDD into them. The net book has been quite supprising as it is loaded with win7, and now that I have a desktop am thinking of dual booting the netbook and make it an adroid in the hopes that by lightening the load of the OS it will become a decent machine. Its main task now is to surf the net and seldom leaves the coffee table in the media room.

I don't think I would ever get rid of win7 (especially since its a legit copy), at least not until Open Office is ported to android... Initially I will first experiment using a bootable Android USB stick.

One of the selling features for me of this netbook was the HDMI port which can stream full HD so it will also double as a sudo media center for the occasional movies we download (now if only we could get rid of greedy Australian ISPs capping internet usage) making a dedicated meda center worth while.

LordFordNZ please keep us updated and let us know your experience if you go for the dual boot machine.

Edit:
    after a little reading tonight I'm under the impression that I can't run my netbook on Android 3.1 , but I hope I'm wrong.

If anyone knows how to get a computer to run on Android please let me know.
    Last edited by Flyboy; 05-06-11 at 01:13 AM. Reason: update

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks Mr Router for the reply. I had tried that one (Android-x86-1.6-r2 as well as 2.2 for Eee PC). I suspect that project has been abandoned as we are now up to Android 3.1.

The 1.6-r2 for x86 was very unstable and only a development platform complete with all the development tool allowing you to debug and force all the main errors at just a click. When it was running it was amazingly fast, made the Galaxy Tab (that I helped my mother-in-law buy the other day) seem like a slug. In short, I suspect it has not been ported to the x86 yet I hope I'm wrong though as it is very promising technology.

Thanks

it working at my side flybox thax mr router.................

Thanks

Default Dual Boot for Net and/or Notebooks

Hi everyone.
    I was looking for an option to dual boot my chinese GPS (android and w7), but found solutions (i believe) more adequate to netbooks and notebooks (please correct me I am wrong).

Find below some links of interest:

1st - Product offer from Chinese web site - Grub boot manager

2nd - Googling about Grub

Hope this helps in part.
    If someone knows how to do this with a Chinese GPS, I will appreciate.
    Kind Regards,
    Fabio.