Thread: dagatron sm 10 sat fibder help please

Thanks

Default dagatron sm 10 sat fibder help please

Hi guys ,
    can anyone please help me , i just bought a dagatron sm 10 sat meter and a bit confused on how to use it ,
    id like to program it for eg Intelsat 8
    eg : PanGlobal TV
    the
    TP 12726 H
    Symbol Rate is 28066
    now in the meter itself it only allows me to enter the TP which is 12726h
    i cant put the excact freqeuncy because it goes by 250khz steps

where i am lost is the TP frequency are so close
    eg GlobeCast Australia on Optus d2 is 12644v

What are the numbers for on the dar right on lyngsat for eg 110519 and has a name next to it ?
    please do help out if you can ,
    thanks kindly
    Sam
    Don"t Follow Where The Path May Lead , Instead Go Where There Is No Path And Leave Tracks.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djsam View Post
    Hi guys ,
    can anyone please help me , i just bought a dagatron sm 10 sat meter and a bit confused on how to use it , id like to program it for eg Intelsat 8
    eg : PanGlobal TV
    the
    TP 12726 H
    Symbol Rate is 28066
    now in the meter itself it only allows me to enter the TP which is 12726h
    i cant put the excact freqeuncy because it goes by 250khz steps
    The PanGlobal signal on 12726/H (Intelsat 8) has a symbol rate of 28066 MS/s (Mega symbols per second). This indicates that it is an MCPC signal, i.e. multi channel per carrier.
    This being the case, it has very high bandwidth, so it doesn't matter if you enter a slightly different frequency. A frequency within the nearest 250 KHz or even within several MHz is fine. A receiver or meter will lock to this successfully.

(There are also SCPC (single channel per carrier) signals with low symbol rates, e.g. the CNN feed on Intelsat 8, at frequency 4165 (V) with a symbol rate of only 1820 (MS/s). This would require accurate tuning (within 250 KHz) as it's bandwidth is low.

The rule is simple ... the higher the symbol rate, the higher the bandwidth.

The frequencies published by sites such as Lyngsat and SatcoDX are supplied by observers, who in the main, report the transponder frequency indicated on their respective satellite receivers. This frequency can differ from one observer's receiver to the next, due to the local oscillator LNB(F) frequency of the respective setups being slightly different, due to frequency drift (changing temperature etc.) and/or other tolerances.

It is sometimes possible to obtain accurate transponder frequencies from the satellite operator's website, e.g. Asia Satellite Communications website for transponder loading on Asiasat 3S, Asiasat 4 and Asiasat 5 .

... where i am lost is the TP frequency are so close
    eg GlobeCast Australia on Optus d2 is 12644v
    With so many communications satellites in orbit around the world, it is impossible to avoid frequency duplication. But avoidance is not necessary, except where satellites are co-located, such as Optus C1 and Optus D3 at 156 degrees east. Duplication in this and similar cases would cause reception problems.

What are the numbers for on the dar right on lyngsat for eg 110519 and has a name next to it ?
    please do help out if you can ,
    thanks kindly Sam
    If you are referring to the entry in the extreme right hand column, this indicates the contributing observer's name and the date when the particular entry was updated.
    The column headings appear at the top of each page.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

djsam (29-05-11),nfnovice (30-05-11),weirdo (30-05-11)

Thanks

Smile @Tristen

I must say thank you so much for your help on this i really appreciate it so much , so all i have to do really is enter the TP freqeuncy eg: 12726/H (Intelsat 8) and aim for it and my meter will lock it in correct ? thanks so much again very much apprciated .
    Don"t Follow Where The Path May Lead , Instead Go Where There Is No Path And Leave Tracks.

Premium Member

Thanks

... so all i have to do really is enter the TP freqeuncy eg: 12726/H (Intelsat 8) and aim for it and my meter will lock it in correct ?
    Well, I'm not familiar with the meter in question, so I can not offer any specific instructions, but in general terms, yes.
    Obviously, you will need to know the azimuth and elevation angles for the satellite you are attempting to locate and have the dish already pointing close to that location. A compass and inclinometer will aid in doing this.

I always set the elevation angle first with an inclinometer, then it's only a matter of adjusting the azimuth by moving the dish in an arc about the compass heading for the particular satellite I am attempting to find. This makes dish adjustment fairly easy. Naturally, you have to first make sure that you have installed the dish in a location where it has clear, unobstructed line of sight to the satellite of interest. Obviously, to do this, you need to know approximately where the satellite is located over the equator from your present location.

Experience eventually makes the procedure straight forward and easy to do.

If the procedure is completely new to you, practice on a dish which is already aligned, making small adjustments in order to get the feel of what is involved.

Always remember, the first rule of teaching (and also of learning), is "proceed form the the known to the unknown". If you don't do this, you are defeated before you start.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

djsam (30-05-11)

Thanks

You must enter the IF (Intermediate Frequency) for this Meter and many others

IE if you have a 11.3GHz LNBF then 12726 would be 1426 as an IF Freq. This is done by taking 11300 away from 12726.

If you had a 10.7Ghz LNBF then use 12726-10700 which would give you an IF Frequency of 2026.

• The Following User Says Thank You to therealyuriboy For This Useful Post:

djsam (31-05-11)

Thanks

Default This Is What I Have

I cant input that IF as it wont go that low , please check out what i have in your spare time and see what i mean

Quote Originally Posted by therealyuriboy View Post
    You must enter the IF (Intermediate Frequency) for this Meter and many others

IE if you have a 11.3GHz LNBF then 12726 would be 1426 as an IF Freq. This is done by taking 11300 away from 12726.

If you had a 10.7Ghz LNBF then use 12726-10700 which would give you an IF Frequency of 2026.

Thanks

Default ecpreience

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Well, I'm not familiar with the meter in question, so I can not offer any specific instructions, but in general terms, yes.
    Obviously, you will need to know the azimuth and elevation angles for the satellite you are attempting to locate and have the dish already pointing close to that location. A compass and inclinometer will aid in doing this.

I always set the elevation angle first with an inclinometer, then it's only a matter of adjusting the azimuth by moving the dish in an arc about the compass heading for the particular satellite I am attempting to find. This makes dish adjustment fairly easy. Naturally, you have to first make sure that you have installed the dish in a location where it has clear, unobstructed line of sight to the satellite of interest. Obviously, to do this, you need to know approximately where the satellite is located over the equator from your present location.

Experience eventually makes the procedure straight forward and easy to do.

If the procedure is completely new to you, practice on a dish which is already aligned, making small adjustments in order to get the feel of what is involved.

Always remember, the first rule of teaching (and also of learning), is "proceed form the the known to the unknown". If you don't do this, you are defeated before you start.
    I have a very good idean on finind sats and knowing which there are , i used to use a cheap sat buzzer and had that connection to the cheap chinese meters where u input details for the sat u want and just keep a eye on it once you found the right sat you wil ge the picture , but thats very un professional , this is the meter i got , in your own time have a quick look , not much of insturctions , cheers once again
    Sam

Thanks

Please read page 1-2 of your meter manual. Frequency range is 900 to 2150 Mhz . So therealyuriboy is correct. Also I have used one of these he is correct. I would see the people you purchased it from.

How can you get a 6 digits before the decimal is beyond me. As there is only 4 digits before and two after. Can you see the decimal? Also SM10 does not care about symbol rate.
    Last edited by Strada916; 30-05-11 at 10:54 AM. Reason: cos I can

Thanks

I have used this Meter for over 6 years now so please check again.

You CAN enter and MUST enter a 4 digit IF Freq. Refer to your manual on page 3.5 - showing where the IF Frequency is displayed 8888.88MHz

For you that would be either 1426.00MHz or 2026.00MHz

• The Following User Says Thank You to therealyuriboy For This Useful Post:

djsam (31-05-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

djsam,

I have read the manual and I agree with both therealyuriboy and Strada916.

And yes, this is common procedure with many such meters.

From page 3-8 of the Operating Manual ...

a. Select desired frequency to measure level by using “Up”,“Down” key. (900MHz – 2,150MHz with 250kHz step)

I suggest that you re-read the manual and the therealyuriboy's post #4 in which he tells you precisely what you must do.

djsam (31-05-11)

Premium Member

Thanks

I cant input that IF as it wont go that low , please check out what i have in your spare time and see what i mean
    Djsam, from what you have stated, it is obvious that you do not know what is meant by an IF frequency.

Therealyuriboy has already given you an example, but allow me to elaborate a little ...

I won't describe it in any detail because at this stage you don't need to know that, but as far as you are concerned, it is the actual transponder frequency (in your case 12726 MHz) minus the LNB local oscillator frequency, which will depend on the type of LNB(F) you are using.

From the above formula, if the LNB on the dish is the so-called 11300 type, the IF frequency required will be 12726 - 11300 = 1426. In this case you enter 1426.00 into the Dagatron SM10 meter.

If the LNB on the dish is the so-called 10700 type, the IF frequency required will be 12726 - 10700 = 2026. In this case you enter 1426.00 into the meter.

If the LNB on the dish is the Universal type, the IF frequency required will be 12726 - 10600 = 2126. In this case you enter 2126.00 into the meter.

djsam (31-05-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Djsam, from what you have stated, it is obvious that you do not know what is meant by an IF frequency.

Therealyuriboy has already given you an example, but allow me to elaborate a little ...

I won't describe it in any detail because at this stage you don't need to know that, but as far as you are concerned, it is the actual transponder frequency (in your case 12726 MHz) minus the LNB local oscillator frequency, which will depend on the type of LNB(F) you are using.

From the above formula, if the LNB on the dish is the so-called 11300 type, the IF frequency required will be 12726 - 11300 = 1426. In this case you enter 1426.00 into the Dagatron SM10 meter.

If the LNB on the dish is the so-called 10700 type, the IF frequency required will be 12726 - 10700 = 2026. In this case you enter 2026.00 into the meter.

If the LNB on the dish is the Universal type, the IF frequency required will be 12726 - 10600 = 2126. In this case you enter 2126.00 into the meter.
    See red text

You will need to turn the 22kHz on too for 10600 universal or uses 9750 as L.O. but that will give a high IF
    Last edited by Strada916; 30-05-11 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks

Guys thanks so much
    I didn’t know what IF Frequency meant , I am silly
    See I was entering the TP Frequency which was 12726,, I didn’t realise when I enter it on my meter it shows 1272.75 . the .75 was the step ,

was so I am on track now I hope , now I understand ,
    If the lnb is 11.300 and the frequency I want to enter in is 12726 I subtract 11300 and end up with 1426 .
    I was just a total idiot not working out that decimal point ,. I tell you what no matter if I read the manual 1000 time I wouldn’t of don’t it with out you guys and appreciate it , I learnt so much from all of this

Always enter the IF FREQ NOT the TP frequency Doing that is by subtracting the TP Frequency from LNB

22khz Tone Is Used For Universal LNB’s

Simple as that , i ge the TP frequency and see what lnb is on dish and do my maths . TO easy , thanks so so so much guys for your help , i wil test it as soon as i can , if you hear a load noise that will be the meter getting thrown throw the roof if it cracks me up but im more then confident i got the idea , thanks again so much

• The Following User Says Thank You to djsam For This Useful Post:

tristen (31-05-11)

Thanks

Default C band

thanks so much guys now one question , how to i use it on a c band dish

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

The same, but the L.O. would be 5150, so use TRANSPONDER FREQ - 5150
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

• The Following User Says Thank You to Fernbay For This Useful Post:

djsam (13-07-11)