Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3940414243444546474849505152535455 LastLast

Thread: Foxtel changes affecting third party receivers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matchu View Post
    I do recall there was some discussions a long time ago about the encrypted firmware used on these boxes - and this is why a firmware dump from the much older receivers is required. Though i don't know if it's encrypted in flash or only OTA.

Times might have changed, but i think it might be more productive to read the ram live and trace whats going on there.

out of interest, what cpu/soc/platform is in the thing? maybe theres a stray development kit for it floating around these days...

if anyone has more info i'd be keen to see what i can turn up - i love a good hardware project
    From memory the ds420nf is a st20 based chip, I think STi5517

ds250 is a arm, running a CX2414x soc

dsn1000 is a NEC EMMA MIPS chip, D61122. Ive dumped this box but the half the code seems to be obscured, not encrypted, all the strings are in plain text.

I havent seen inside an IQ box yet but been told they run linux OS. There may be a chance the serial terminal was left active like the viasat boxes were until recently. Ive got one coming monday so will see. This would be the best to disassemble.

Reading the live ram would require expensive equipment unless we could get some debug code running on the boxes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by couchpotato View Post
    I havent seen inside an IQ box yet but been told they run linux OS. There may be a chance the serial terminal was left active like the viasat boxes were until recently. Ive got one coming monday so will see. This would be the best to disassemble.
    i might just have a peek inside my IQ2 over the weekend to see what kind of storage it uses for it's OS, i'm sure someone's also ripped out the hdd in one of them so i'll see if i can dig up their findings.

i've also got a 420, and there's plenty of discussion about dumping the contents on that family of ST platforms - but i think the IQ family might be more worthwile.

To the screwdrivers, batman!

Thanks

i might just have a peek inside my IQ2 over the weekend to see what kind of storage it uses for it's OS, i'm sure someone's also ripped out the hdd in one of them so i'll see if i can dig up their findings.

i've also got a 420, and there's plenty of discussion about dumping the contents on that family of ST platforms - but i think the IQ family might be more worthwile.

To the screwdrivers, batman!
    Apparently the viasat pace box has a internal header used for a serial console, IQ boxes should have the same. Souldnt be too hard to figure out TX/RX with a multimeter, would also need a level convertor.

Also I dont think the recent changes made involve hardware pairing as some have suggested, the older UEC boxes dont support the unique hw keys in the CPU that are needed, just speculation though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by couchpotato View Post
    Also I dont think the recent changes made involve hardware pairing as some have suggested, the older UEC boxes dont support the unique hw keys in the CPU that are needed, just speculation though.
    I agree - i think this is an alteration to the FW that adds a postprocessing step either in the cardhandler process or the cam/decoder process in the box.

Further to the "it's only in the software" argument, the UECs have less horsepower than the newer platforms - perhaps this code originally pushed them too far into the red, causing occasional failure to finish the calculation in time and glitch?

This speculation is much more interesting than the earlier sheep and banana related banter.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I agree with the bit of post processing theory because someone mentioned on their DM that the NDS came up green on the info screen but no pics.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I agree with the bit of post processing theory because someone mentioned on their DM that the NDS came up green on the info screen but no pics.

Leroy
    Agreed, but i feel that this time around LRP, its more than just a simple CW change, it is far more involved than that, when in regards to the blue card, poxtel, clearly, have identified the weakness in the system (UEC DSD1000) and have re-written the blue cards overnight irrespective of what decoder they were in at that time, thus rendering the cards useless, unless used in their original decoders.

What has happened recently, surpasses what they have done to the fruity's earlier this year.

Australia, when in regards to NDS is a small market when compared to the rest of the world that uses the NDS encryption, therefore, we are the perfect guinea pigs, now, for the moment, there has been a win to poxtel & NDS, tis only a matter of time before this is introduced to the larger NDS market.

In summing up, the final changes were deployed to the blue cards themselves not the boxes.

cheers
    hannible
    Last edited by Hannible; 18-11-11 at 10:11 PM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hannible For This Useful Post:

Kavakid (19-11-11),mkhannah (18-11-11),sat 49 (19-11-11)

Thanks

I read somewhere on the European forums that it only takes around 30 mins for someone to find a work around in any changes by the provider in regards to encryption methods, wish that was the case here in Aust.

It's a shame my 4 month old Mediastar has now become a $450 Terrestial STB, i don't know whether to wait to see if a fix will ever become available or to just flog it off and take the loss and try and put up with the Commodore 64 Interface of the Pace.

I'm trying to talk the missus out of PayTV now this has happened and recently all the metro channels have come available to us locally - also it's too much dicking around changing AV inputs all the time now.

I also sent a email to the crazy place i bought the unit from but no answer as i expected regarding a firmware plugin update now the purchase has been done, strangely enough the were really quick responding before the purchase regarding any questions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hannible View Post
    In summing up, the final changes were deployed to the blue cards themselves not the boxes.
    Not so - see my earlier post. The bluey wouldn't work in the UEC DSD1000 until the BOX had its firmware upgraded.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    Not so - see my earlier post. The bluey wouldn't work in the UEC DSD1000 until the BOX had its firmware upgraded.
    Oh re-he-heallly (As Ace Ventura would put it), sorry, mean no offence, but another member & i have been working on this for the past week and have some interesting results as to the outcome of what happened to the blueys.

cheers
    hannible
    Last edited by Hannible; 19-11-11 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks

Oh re-he-heallly (As Ace Ventura would put it), sorry, mean no offence, but another member & i have been working on this for the past week and have some interesting results as to the outcome of what happened to the blueys.

Furthermore, my last post (#966), states more than you have quoted, in your post #968

cheers
    hannible
    I assumed the cards already knew this trick - and the cue to get them to respond in this new way was to feed them a different crypted stream?

I'm keen to hear if the cards were reflashed in the field to apply this change!

very interesting!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,077 Times in 6,766 Posts

The box probably required a firmware upgrade, regardless of any changes to the card.... especially if it hadn't been used for a while.

Thanks

I'm keen to hear if the cards were reflashed in the field to apply this change!

very interesting!
    That is what vic and i are thinking of at this time, what we are seeing is;

1) incomplete atr string - (post 11/11/2011)
    2) card not supported - (post 11/11/2011)
    3) no display of CW when using debug 255 - (post 11/11/2011)

Tested on VU and DM - (both working with blue prior to 11/11/2011)

Provider boxes may have had a S/W OTA upgrade earlier - but the final change appears to be the cards themselves, regardless of what box they were in at that time, when the changes were implemented (11/11/2011).

cheers
    hannible
    Last edited by Hannible; 19-11-11 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks

When my bluey fell over, I put the card back in the fox box & no pics. Waited 48 hours no pics. Rang fox for a box hit, etc. no pics.

A fairly green tech came around the house this week, seemingly oblivious to any changes in the system as he spent the first 30 minutes checking signal level and replacing all fittings (including in the drop on the street). As he still had no pics, he rang a super who had him try a new card (also blue) in the old box. He rang to have the new card authorised, etc. and still no pics. Eventually, he replaced the box (std no IQ) so new box new card and finally pics.

I asked him, what was the problem? He told me box failure. "These boxes get old and dusty from months and years of continual use, and eventually fail." The funny things is, I probably had less than 3 hours uptime on the sucker.

While not technical, hope helps.

Thanks

cheers
    hannible
    Yeah really? On 10/11/2011, all services on 12558H went black. I put the card back in the Fox box with exactly the same result. Rang the call centre who went through the standard reset the box routine, without success. They wanted to send out a tech, but I declined. Turned fox box off & put the card back in the Vu Duo & watched other transponders all evening. Turned on Vu next day & all gone. Again returned the card to fox box with same result.

Triggered a s/w update on the fox box & all OK on it.

Now if it had been a card change, I wouldn't have anything on the Vu on the 10th, or I would have had all services on the fox box.

Q.E.D. the changes that are stopping 3rd party receivers are in the fox box.

Thanks

Im led to believe its something to do with the box id for the card.
    The blueys always worked without one and the orange only worked when we discovered the card number needed to be changed to hex.

When they stopped the orange from working the box id on them was probably changed to something totally different and because the blueys are older card and did not require the id to work they had to find a way to make them use the same id's.

Im picking up my bluey and orange card and am going to play with them both and see what happens.

After some research and reading on the net I saw that the cards can have up to 48 bits of keys on them and we have only been using 8 for the orange.

Hopefully someone else might find this usefull or not.
    Just my thinking having a go.
    Thanks

Thanks

Yeah really? On 10/11/2011, all services on 12558H went black. I put the card back in the Fox box with exactly the same result. Rang the call centre who went through the standard reset the box routine, without success. They wanted to send out a tech, but I declined. Turned fox box off & put the card back in the Vu Duo & watched other transponders all evening. Turned on Vu next day & all gone. Again returned the card to fox box with same result.

Triggered a s/w update on the fox box & all OK on it.

Now if it had been a card change, I wouldn't have anything on the Vu on the 10th, or I would have had all services on the fox box.

Q.E.D. the changes that are stopping 3rd party receivers are in the fox box.
    Well, what occurred on the 10/11/2011, is in my opinion, was meerly a test by fox to see if their efforts worked and as always, this thread went active again reporting the lost transponder (remember the fruity's, the same thing happened before they killed them), all we did was helped them gain the knowledge.

My post (#966), referred to the final changes being implemented on the 11/11/2011, i stand by the belief, that there was more than a simple CW change implemented.

Mate down the road from me has a DSD1000, he was un-affected by the changes on the 11/11/2011 - yet his blue wont work in anything but the fox box.

cheers
    hannible

Thanks

Mate down the road from me has a DSD1000, he was un-affected by the changes on the 11/11/2011 - yet his blue wont work in anything but the fox box.

cheers
    hannible
    I'm in the same boat as everyone else it seems, bluey works fine in poxbox but not in 2 x DM800 running different setups. I can swap back and forth between pox and dms no problems with poxbox just DM's. Tried new firmware, different firmwares, other cams, nothing works.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Well, what occurred on the 10/11/2011, is in my opinion, was meerly a test by fox to see if their efforts worked and as always, this thread went active again reporting the lost transponder (remember the fruity's, the same thing happened before they killed them), all we did was helped them gain the knowledge.
    Wrong.

There is no mention, nor is there any posts in this thread on the 10/11 in regards to the transponder not displaying channels. This thread " went active again " as you call it on the 11/11 with news blue cards were not working , not the loss of a transponders channels. Post 814 was made on the 5/11 and and the next post was 815 on 11/11. Oyama was the first person to mention anything about the missing channels on 11/11 after all cards in third party receivers went off.

all we did was helped them gain the knowledge.
    After they turned them off ?

Do you think they are stupid or something ? They know quite well what they are doing, they dont need someone to go "duh, my picture went off" to know if something works. Do you really seriously think they are that stupid ?

How about we stick to facts and not fiction ? Foxtel's cryptology department dont spend all their days sitting on Austech waiting to hear what we say....dont flatter yourself or us. We are talking about sophisticated cryptology technology, not picking a chinese made combination lock from Bunnings.

Sorry if I sound rude, but I am sick of reading utter bullshit lately.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

gulliver (20-11-11),tristen (20-11-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Yep... that would be an ideal solution.

Unfortunately, Foxtel don't even make this available for commercial SMATV use at the momement either.

At least VAST (Optus) have made their card/cam available for SMATV systems.
    Is that true MTV, vast have released a card/cam combo, if so where do you get them from?

cheers
    hannible

Thanks

Hannible,
    Laceystv

• The Following User Says Thank You to Pacificbanana For This Useful Post:

Hannible (20-11-11)

• Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3940414243444546474849505152535455 LastLast