Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 343444546474849505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1098

Thread: Foxtel changes affecting third party receivers

  1. #1041
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Central Tablelands of NSW
    Age
    77
    Posts
    13,824
    Thanks
    1,242
    Thanked 3,803 Times in 2,523 Posts
    Rep Power
    1754
    Reputation
    56926

    Default

    As the provider knows the serial number of both the STB and the smartcard, I cant see any problem with them 'wedding' the pair.
    So long as they can 'software' it from 'On High' without doing a recall then I am sure they will.
    Austar has done it with all their STB's as has UEC with their VAST stb's and Foxtel appear to be going along the same path.
    The providers are there to make money and while no doubt they would prefer not to have to spend out to resort to these security measures, in the long term it will repay the cost by reducing multiple unpaid viewers and card piracy.
    Maybe in five years or so, all these options like Card sharing and cloning/hacking will be just another entry on the page of Television history.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!



  • #1042
    Administrator
    admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Victoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    30,942
    Thanks
    2,215
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 5,712 Posts
    Rep Power
    4391
    Reputation
    160205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    As the provider knows the serial number of both the STB and the smartcard, I cant see any problem with them 'wedding' the pair.
    So long as they can 'software' it from 'On High' without doing a recall then I am sure they will.
    Austar has done it with all their STB's as has UEC with their VAST stb's and Foxtel appear to be going along the same path.
    The providers are there to make money and while no doubt they would prefer not to have to spend out to resort to these security measures, in the long term it will repay the cost by reducing multiple unpaid viewers and card piracy.
    Maybe in five years or so, all these options like Card sharing and cloning/hacking will be just another entry on the page of Television history.
    Austar's service is the one thats hacked and measures like card/box marrying do absolutely zilch in regards to piracy.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

    Vic (16-01-12)

  • #1043
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 115 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Reputation
    600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    measures like card/box marrying do absolutely zilch in regards to piracy.
    I totally agree. I know of 3 people who cancelled their service with the last round of changes, and only 1 who has bought a sub.

  • #1044
    Senior Member Vic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    914
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 267 Times in 154 Posts
    Rep Power
    212
    Reputation
    1304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the1magoo View Post
    I totally agree. I know of 3 people who cancelled their service with the last round of changes, and only 1 who has bought a sub.
    Do you think they really care
    DM800 DM800se Vu+Duo ET9000

  • #1045
    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 188 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    227
    Reputation
    3123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    Hmm, I think I agree: something seems to have also changed on the Blueys themselves. I tried my bluey in another F*xbox just now, only to receive the error message on screen: This is not the smartcard for this receiver.
    Either the Pace boxes are now wedded to the cards, or both the cards and boxes are wedded just like the IQ boxes.

    That's happened to me in the past, long before the recent changes were made.

    I had two blueys. One stayed in it's sub box and the other was in a dreambox. There was a period a few years ago where I had to take the card out and stick it in the sub box to get it updated (I can't remember why).

    But when I did it, I couldn't just stick the bluey into the running sub box. I got the "This is not the smartcard for this receiver."

    I had to pull the second box out of the cupboard to get the card to work.

  • #1046
    Premium Member
    OSIRUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    3,407
    Thanks
    8,174
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 798 Posts
    Rep Power
    572
    Reputation
    15481

    Default

    Foxtel have had the Foxtel STB married to the card for quite a while now....

    meaning you can not use a foxtel card with another Foxtel STB, i.e. only the card the Foxtel STB is married to will work in that Foxtel STB

    but up until last year, Foxtel cards were able to be used in some third party STB's

    Now Foxtel have made changes that mean Foxtel cards will only work in The Foxtel STB it is married to, (& not in any third party STB's)

    in effect the Foxtel STB is married to the Card & the Foxtel card is married to the Foxtel STB
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 17-01-12 at 11:38 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

  • The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:


  • #1047
    Junior Member ferni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 30 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    132
    Reputation
    170

    Default

    Hence the whole point of the boxid configuration in softcams like OSCAM so it can pretend to be the box. OScam and get the boxid from the card on the blue cards, but on the orange you have to calculate/enter it manually.

  • #1048
    Senior Member oyama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    662
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked 286 Times in 85 Posts
    Rep Power
    204
    Reputation
    1399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    Foxtel have had the Foxtel STB married to the card for quite a while now....

    meaning you can not use a foxtel card with another Foxtel STB, i.e. only the card the Foxtel STB is married to will work in that Foxtel STB

    but up until last year, Foxtel cards were able to be used in some third party STB's

    Now Foxtel have made changes that mean Foxtel cards will only work in The Foxtel STB it is married to, (& not in any third party STB's)

    in effect the Foxtel STB is married to the Card & the Foxtel card is married to the Foxtel STB
    time for a divorce
    1x Dm7000, 2x Dm500 SD
    11-11-11 - NOW PoxBox
    ------------------------

  • #1049
    Junior Member noname's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oz, East Coast
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Reputation
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oyama View Post
    time for a divorce
    Yeah, but not over stupid Poxtel!

    Personally I'm moving to a HTPC box solution for now, recording from poxbox through the analogue outputs. But meanwhile like others here, I'm not giving up hope on finding a solution and still looking at what's going on in Europe. Have to find a way to treat it as a hobby, as then the challenges are just part of the fun and any result is a bonus. I've been playing with this stuff for more than 10 years and we've been in similar situations a few times!
    HTPC: MythTV, OSCam, Sat Card, paid subsciption.
    Update: Hauppage HD-PVR connected to receiver (for now?) via W7 WMC and DVBLink

  • The Following User Says Thank You to noname For This Useful Post:

    thatslife (20-01-12)

  • #1050
    Premium Member
    LeroyPatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    N.E. Vic
    Posts
    16,121
    Thanks
    3,479
    Thanked 4,620 Times in 2,748 Posts
    Rep Power
    1588
    Reputation
    44751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    Yeah, but not over stupid Poxtel!

    Personally I'm moving to a HTPC box solution for now, recording from poxbox through the analogue outputs. But meanwhile like others here, I'm not giving up hope on finding a solution and still looking at what's going on in Europe. Have to find a way to treat it as a hobby, as then the challenges are just part of the fun and any result is a bonus. I've been playing with this stuff for more than 10 years and we've been in similar situations a few times!
    I think he's talking about the box and card

    Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

  • The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

    oyama (21-06-12)

  • #1051
    Member Hannible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 84 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    177
    Reputation
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    Do you think they really care
    Trust me Vic, they do care, call them & cancel the sub, you then get the speal of how they dont want to lose you yada yada yada, make all sorts of offers to try to keep you - then once you return the fox kit - you get called monthly trying to con you into returning to poxtel, of course they do care, they are losing clients afterall.

    And of course, with all sorts of enticing offers to return to poxtel with each phone call they make to you

    Cheers
    Hannible
    Last edited by Hannible; 17-01-12 at 10:28 PM.
    Tis a fact of life, that you do not buy beer, but only rent it! - (Rememberence Day 11/11/2011)

  • #1052
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    119
    Reputation
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hannible View Post
    Trust me Vic, they do care, call them & cancel the sub, you then get the speal of how they dont want to lose you yada yada yada, make all sorts of offers to try to keep you - then once you return the fox kit - you get called monthly trying to con you into returning to poxtel, of course they do care, they are losing clients afterall.

    And of course, with all sorts of enticing offers to return to poxtel with each phone call they make to you

    Cheers
    Hannible
    This.

    Wifey rang up a few days ago to cancel, and on the spot (Not retention team
    ) they gave $20 a month off our plan if we stay 6 more months (Basic + a couple of basic packages).

    I think they will have a hard time keeping us after the 6 months.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to whiteb For This Useful Post:

    OSIRUS (18-01-12)

  • #1053
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    315
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 63 Times in 39 Posts
    Rep Power
    175
    Reputation
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
    This.

    they gave $20 a month off our plan if we stay 6 more months
    i got $33 off when i wanted to cancel, i took it

  • #1054
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Reputation
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
    This.

    Wifey rang up a few days ago to cancel, and on the spot (Not retention team
    ) they gave $20 a month off our plan if we stay 6 more months (Basic + a couple of basic packages).

    I think they will have a hard time keeping us after the 6 months.
    You gave in to early i got $33 a month off my plan (sportsHD $69) for the next 6mths today,its the 3rd time i have recieved this offer and there was no need for retention team. I realise retentions probably would have done better but im happy to pay the $69 and as i said its the 3rd contract ive had with this deal.
    I believe the $33 off any package is pretty standard these days.

  • #1055
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 115 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Reputation
    600

    Default

    I got offered 50% off a $120 package..

  • #1056
    Senior Member Keepleft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hunter Valley, 2325
    Posts
    941
    Thanks
    189
    Thanked 113 Times in 67 Posts
    Rep Power
    198
    Reputation
    566

    Default

    I cancelled my $170pm odd sub cost with Fox IQ2's, they didn't try to offer retainers or other incentives.

    I view FTA sat stuff happily anyhow....
    5th Wyking Panzer Division

  • #1057
    Administrator
    admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Victoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    30,942
    Thanks
    2,215
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 5,712 Posts
    Rep Power
    4391
    Reputation
    160205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the1magoo View Post
    I got offered 50% off a $120 package..
    Thats the irony.....if they offered that to everyone even on a 12/24 month contract people would be signing up in droves.

  • The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

    enf (20-01-12),porkop (20-01-12)

  • #1058
    Senior Member cro69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    melb(vic)
    Posts
    903
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 105 Times in 79 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Reputation
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
    I cancelled my $170pm odd sub cost with Fox IQ2's, they didn't try to offer retainers or other incentives.

    I view FTA sat stuff happily anyhow....
    i just got mine lowered by 25 bucks a month im happy with that for now!!
    Self declared soccer nut

    http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_2045.jpg

  • #1059
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Aus
    Posts
    355
    Thanks
    234
    Thanked 64 Times in 26 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    Reputation
    342

    Default

    Their boxes SUCK!!!!!

  • #1060
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 115 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Reputation
    600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Thats the irony.....if they offered that to everyone even on a 12/24 month contract people would be signing up in droves.
    that's the truth...

    It was always worth about $10 a month for your favourite dozen or so channels..

    If they priced it like that and gave people what they actually wanted almost EVERYBODY would have a sub..

  • Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 343444546474849505152535455 LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •