Thread: Foxtel HD?

Thanks

Default Foxtel HD?

Hi,
    Just wondering if someone might have the right answer here.
    We are in a unit with standard foxtel at the moment. we originally signed up for the HDiq service.
    Our building was pre wired for foxtel but when they came to install ours the first guy said he couldnt find the wire to put a second cable in for the iq to work. So then he tells me that he can put in the HD iq so we can get HD channels but we just wont be able to pause, record etc. Then he called his boss out and they just put in the standard def box and told me to ask my landlord about the cables and to talk to foxtel to figure it out.

After talking to foxtel, i was then told i couldnt get anything HD or the iq. I told them i dont care about the IQ and asked why i need a second cable just to view HD channels, as the first tech told me i would be able to. I've had several different answers and still have no idea why i cant.

Im wondering if it is that you need 2 cables or does the original cable work with HD? and can i buy a third party HD reciever and sign up for HD again and have it work?
    Im sorry if this makes no sense to you but im confused as hell myself.
    The problem is that we have a 54 inch tv and we only have foxtel to watch the sports channels but it looks like absolute shit on the tv in standard def.

any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
    Mel

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

The IQ has 2 tuners so the 2 cables are for those. I'm not sure if it will work on one but if it did you would miss out on some of the functionality of the IQ like recording one channels and being able to watch another. If you are aware of this limitiation and it works then that would be better than the SD box!

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babycheeses View Post
    Hi,
    Just wondering if someone might have the right answer here.
    We are in a unit with standard foxtel at the moment. we originally signed up for the HDiq service.
    Our building was pre wired for foxtel but when they came to install ours the first guy said he couldnt find the wire to put a second cable in for the iq to work. So then he tells me that he can put in the HD iq so we can get HD channels but we just wont be able to pause, record etc. Then he called his boss out and they just put in the standard def box and told me to ask my landlord about the cables and to talk to foxtel to figure it out.

After talking to foxtel, i was then told i couldnt get anything HD or the iq. I told them i dont care about the IQ and asked why i need a second cable just to view HD channels, as the first tech told me i would be able to. I've had several different answers and still have no idea why i cant.

Im wondering if it is that you need 2 cables or does the original cable work with HD? and can i buy a third party HD reciever and sign up for HD again and have it work?
    Im sorry if this makes no sense to you but im confused as hell myself.
    The problem is that we have a 54 inch tv and we only have foxtel to watch the sports channels but it looks like absolute shit on the tv in standard def.

any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
    Mel
    That doesn't make sense. You only need one cable for foxtel IQ2 HD cable. I have an IQ2 with HD all on one cable. If you have foxtel via satellite.....well that's a different story and explains why you need two cables.

Foxtel can be delivered via cable or satellite dish. I suspect you have a satellite dish.

Thanks

well its a big ass apartment building, i think there is a satellite on the roof and all the apartments are connected to it.
    Interesting that you say that because it just proves that foxtel customer service have no bloody clue what they are on about. They have told me that its nothing to do with cable/satellite and that its just the iq box that does need 2 cables.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Check the back of the STB where the coax cables attatch and if it says 13/18V and XXX mA near either or both, that is a satelitte box as I dont think a cable box puts out any power.
    Also the menu may give you an option to 'A' to see signal detection and 'B' to turn the LNB on or Off.
    Both options I dont think would be needed or useable on a Cable box.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

The iQ sat boxes have four LNB inputs, but 3 & 4 are not used and the dual LNB cables only connect to ports 1 and 2.

A cable box only has one cable connection.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (06-04-12)

Thanks

I'm in a similar kind of predicament.... do I just need a 2nd cable? or does the dish or some other component need to be upgraded?

The body corporate doesn't want to pay for the upgrade to 20 units at this stage.. so wondering what my options are to just upgrade my own apartment.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

A Recent poster found out that for his Foxtel IQHD Satellite STB to work

it needs to have both LNB cables connected to the IQHD STB

You also need two LNB cables with independent Horizontal & Vertical polarity..... (so no splitters can be used)

The LNB cables need to be direct from the LNB or a multiswitch

(a Job better left to Foxtel )

Edit: Also Foxtel will no longer work with any third party STB's
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 06-04-12 at 09:14 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Default ?

is it cable or sat?cable is only one cable.