Thread: Replacing spark plugs

Thanks

Default Replacing spark plugs

I want to replace the spark plugs in my car with new ones. Can i do this myself? How tight do i close them? Can i domething wrong replacing them?

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Thanks

if you stuff it you will need major work on the engine head.

get someone to show you the first one.

it takes only minutes...but can be a very sad story if you crossthread or break.

Thanks

Yes and no. Easy if yourve done it before.

First work on one spark plug at a time. This will stop you from mixing your ignition leads firing order.

At the base of the spark plug, where it contacts the head you may have some dirt or grit. Try to clean any loose rubbish as you dont want this entering you combustion chamber.

Now the fun begins,

Disconnect your first ignition lead (sparkplug wire). When removing the wire NEVER pull from the actual wire itself. If you look carefully at where it connects to the sparkplug you will see a rubber insulating boot covering the spark plug. This is what you grab onto. Give it a slight turning twist (only a little) while pulling straight out. The slight twist helps because sometimes they get stuck on because of the heat.

Now you are looking at your old sparkplug. Take a sparkplug socket and undo the sparkplug anticlockwise.

Now take your new sparkplug and set the gap (the distance between the two electrodes). Your car should have the factory recommended gap on a sticker under the bonnet, in the owners manual, or you can ask when buying the new ones at the shop.
    The gap is set using a feeler gauge, you inset it into between the electrodes and you want it at a point where their is some light drag. To open the gap use a smaller feeler gauge and pry it a little open. To close the gap you can tap the top electrode a little to close it. Point is be gentle when opening and closing gaps. Its not good to do this too often as you will weaken the electrode.

Now your ready to put the new plug back in.

The best method to avoid cross threading your head is to run the sparkplug in with your fingers. If your fingers cant reach in, then put the plug into the sparkplug socket with an extension and then run it in by hand. DONT start off with the spanner, use your hands, you have more feel this way and can tell when its not right before you damage any threads.

Once the spark plug has bottomed out onto the head your ready to tighten.
    Most sparkplugs are of the gasket, washer type. The gasket washer type are tightened an extra half to two thirds of a turn.
    If you have the v type seal with no gasket, its only one sixteenth of a turn extra.

Replace ignition lead, making sure its pushed back in all the way.

Repeat for all other sparkplugs.

Enjoy!

Thanks

Excellent job global88, could not have said it better myself.

Thanks

Make sure you are using the correct replacement spark plugs

Thanks

Hey -- there is also an option to clean the old plugs and save yourself a heap of dough. Use a pin or fine wire down the inside of the plug ,a wire brush and if you can get one the best result is with a sand blaster. There used to be purpose built ones for plugs in every garage.

People don't bother nowadays but I have a V8 with 30 year old plugs.

Look at the colour and condition of the old plugs . They can tell you whether the timing is right , whether the mixture is right ,if you are burning oil past the rings and the temperature your car is running at. Also the external marks can tell you a bit too.

Thanks

Hey- talking about spark plugs ,is it worth the effort and expense changing to these Platinum plugs that they recommend ?

Dash.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I don't think so. They last longer but if the old ones are doing the job I don't think you will notice any difference - thats what my mechanic told me anyway.

Thanks

First off, what car ?
    Some cars can be a bastard, my SantaFe uses iridium long life plugs as the intake mainfold has to come off to get to the rear plugs, big job for a novice, damn east-west motors

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by global88 View Post
    The gap is set using a feeler gauge, you inset it into between the electrodes and you want it at a point where their is some light drag. To open the gap use a smaller feeler gauge and pry it a little open. To close the gap you can tap the top electrode a little to close it. Point is be gentle when opening and closing gaps. Its not good to do this too often as you will weaken the electrode.
    Tapping the electrode isnt really recommended by plug manufacturers. You should use a gapping tool. These are cheap and should be able to be bought where u get the plugs from.

Thanks

A big thanks to everyone helping here but i think with the expirience i have ( or don't) i better take it to some service place and get it done.

How much should it cost to get the spark plugs, spark leads replaced? I already have them just for labour.

THanks

Thanks

Spark plugs are $2 to $3 each, leads $8 each generally. A standard way to price things is what the parts cost is what the labour costs...generally as a very, very rough guide. Just ask your mechanic, he wont bite.

Yes to adjust spark plug gap, a gapping tool is better for people without feel when working.
    I dont push the idea of wire brushing, fileing gap, cleaning heat range throat of spark plugs after loosing an engine due to a weakened electrode dropping into a cylinder. Their not that expensive to change. I only do it if cash is tight.
    I just wanted to explain a general method that most people use without going into the sceince of reading plugs, heat ranges, gap variations for a change in performance range and different electrodes and their uses.
    The long life sparkplugs are great but i cannot justify the high prices. If i was paying a mechanic then they may be worth while considering the longterm savings on labour.

Thanks

Again mate what car, then we will have better idea for both cost or fitting

Premium Member
    Thanks

one more thing, don't try and change plugs while the engine is hot, aluminium heads will strip out the thread if you do so sometimes.