Thread: Vehicle.srf file Reader/Manager

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Cool Vehicle.srf file Reader/Manager

Got curious the other day & did some Googling, found some interesting stuff on vehicle files for Garmin Nuvi's.

If your interested in customising your GPS then a custom vehicle is a good start, there are a lot out there when you search but they are in SRF file format so not easy to view. Untill I stumbled upon a prog. by Michael Mowry called GarminVehicleManager at

The program is an srf file viewer & manager. It has 2 viewing windows, 1 for your vehicle.srf files on your computer & 1 for the vehicle.srf files on your GPS which are stored in the Vehicle folder on your Nuvi.
    You select the directories where the files are stored & it gives you a list of them with a thumbnail, name & type of vehicle.
    You can right click on a vehicle & preview what it looks like in static & rotation, & if it's an animated type you can preview the animation as well.
    You can drag & drop between the 2 directory windows to transfer to & from your device or delete as necessary from your GPS to conserve space.

If you want some vehicles to play with then all credit to Hollowman for sharing 111 of them in a file here

More vehicles can be found here
    thanks to Michael Mowry again for sharing.
    You will also find at Raptor base home another free prog. for converting & building your own Vehicle.srf files, called SRF Builder, at
    there doesn't appear to be a tutorial on how to do this so when I work it out I'll try & put one together.
    So far from what I've learned, you convert the srf file to a png file then edit the image in a paint programe & convert back to srf for the GPS.
    As for building from scratch I need to do more research, the tools seem to be in the program but I haven't figured out how to use them yet.

If anyone else can work it out, please share. Lots of luck.
    Last edited by Tiny; 14-06-11 at 05:02 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

nando (15-06-11)

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Smile

Lots More great vehicles found, about 900 of them at & several more at

Don't think I'll bother making my own, these guys have done it all for us.

They also have another way of building your own vehicle/pointer files with instruction, its on the main page of the first link.
    Last edited by Tiny; 17-06-11 at 03:23 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."