Thread: Asus eee pc hackers/modders or just owners. Post in here

Thanks

Default Asus eee pc hackers/modders or just owners. Post in here

hi all.
    Looked at one at JB HI FI with a mate today. Something cool about them. It almost hits the spot as a daily computer for browsing/mailing...

1.needs more RAM
    2.needs more HD space.
    (701 this is)

Does anyone here have one ? How does it perform day to day ?
    Anyone here modded it ? Online guides seem pretty straightforward to follow...

ta ben

Look Here ->
    Thanks

there is a new HP model coming out with a larger HDD (20 or 30GB)

Some are modded I have used Intel's Classmatepc's modded with a 30GB HDD

Thanks

a nice little list of tailor made modkits for the eee.

Yes u can do it yourself cheaper, but the extra usb port using the webcam connectors is an elegant solution with 100% plug and play.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post

Does anyone here have one ? How does it perform day to day ?
    Anyone here modded it ? Online guides seem pretty straightforward to follow...

ta ben
    ... I have one - a 701 - got it about 4 months ago - went crazy and did just about everything with it ...

Its a great little bit of technology - if you are tech savy and understand unix / windows - then you will get your money's worth out of it

I did not mod my unit - other than boosted Ram to 2GB and have created a series of SD flash cards with different OS's

Curerently I can run 'full' Win XP with latest service pack - installed on SD card - the systems boots from SD (you need to do some heavy patching - as M$ does not support windows booting - let alone running - from a removable storage device ... to trick windows you need to patch the USB driver (yes the flash SD is internally 'seen' as a USB device) to appear as a microdirve ... which is seen by windows as a legit boot device) - the original OS is still on the system Flash disk.

You need a 'fast' SD card for this to work well - for me its just perfect - I create a ram disk on boot (auto) and all the windows temp stuff goes there as well as the cookies and transient files during an IP session with your browser.

I even 'ran' DVBViewer with a N*S emulator and a legit card with a DVB-S usb device I have - the little CPU has enough grunt - to decode 100% - and the system ran flawlwssly for several days - until I shut it down.

The other OS's I have are UBUNTU and XBUNTU - both running from SD flash.

Its real easy to use this device as a CS server - either running windows - or unix - your choice ...

... nice toy if you have the time to play ...

Only Negative for me is the small screen - but you get used to it - its certainly functional

Thanks

I reckon an eee 4g 700 is instantly de-valued with the release of the eee 20g 900.

And to think that $600 - $1000 GPS/PDA's were the ducks guts 12 months ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmsky View Post
    I reckon an eee 4g 700 is instantly de-valued with the release of the eee 20g 900.
    you are correct ... but remember ... the goal post change when you change the pricing ...

To pick-up a 701 for < $400 is good value ... especially if you want to mod the device ..

If you change the size and price ... then you change the appeal of the unit ... it goes into a different category ... one in which there are 'other' equally appealing toys

Most 'modders' have gone for the 2G versions of the 701 - whereby they bump up the Flash to 16G or above and do a heck of a lot of useful mods which turns their $300 unit to a great little computer for the odd job here or there ...

Thanks

thanks for the insights - my gf wants a base 4g 701 , to purely browse the net , email and do alittle bit of PDF browsing and word processing for work. Its pretty much ideal for her.
    I on the other hand want one (or similar) for taking to work nd not worry too much about it getting treated alittle rough (last lappy HD failed quite quick with the bumps and sitting ontop of tools etc).
    Id prefer the new 900 series to a tea. PRob is finding it for a decent price ( f at all)

Thanks

Seems current prices for 4G 700's around $400 (delivered from Aus with tax invoice so that u may be able claim the gst and lower the price), 900's around $660 (delivered from O/S so no gst).

I think there's enough tweeks in it to justify the extra $260.

So yes it's horses for courses.

PS did u know that you for Australian goods >$300 (with a less than 30 day old tax invoice), when you depart Australia on a holiday?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmsky View Post
    Seems current prices for 4G 700's around $400 (delivered from Aus with tax invoice so that u may be able claim the gst and lower the price), 900's around $660 (delivered from O/S so no gst).

I think there's enough tweeks in it to justify the extra $260.

So yes it's horses for courses.

PS did u know that you for Australian goods >$300 (with a less than 30 day old tax invoice), when you depart Australia on a holiday?
    The more i think about it , the 900 "as is" is a good stand alone product that wont need any tweaking to satisfy my needs. The extra $ is only extra time @ work in reality so ill hang out abit longer and try and get one. The larger screen /extra HD space / extra ram / tiny bit bigger size seems worth it IMO

ta for the info - no point holding out until may next year when i go to europe lol. But with that info i will take advantage with a new SLR methinks Thanks!