Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AGL - who is cheapest for power in Vic?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm in Metro Melbourne.

Has anyone had any experience with dodo electricity?......I'm looking at changing at the moment, and using the switchwise website dodo seems like it will save me about $700 per year (if I go on a 3 year contract)........but there is something I just don't trust about them.....especially when you have to pay upfront, by automatic bank transfer, and then when the meter reading comes in the account will be balanced to reflect your actual useage (as I understand from there T&C's)......I'm concerned that this will be a constant battle to get correct readings, meanwhile I sure there will be no problems with them removing money from my bank account. I also don't understand how they can offer a 3 year contract, then in the T&C's say that the rates are subject to change.

I'm currently with Red Energy, and pay 19.9 c kWh (peak only - no off peak), 68.0 c per day supply charge, and use about 2500 kWh per quarter.

Each comparison website seems to give different information, and it really starts to do your head in.

Has anyone got any advice, or suggestions?

Thanks,

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

If their electricity is anything like their internet speed you'll get brown outs (due to slow electrons )
    Sorry I couldn't help myself.
    I personally couldn't lock myself into suck a long tern contract if the rates could change.
    Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Thanks Leroy,

Did you end up finding out who had the cheapest rates in Vic?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I did a very brief comparison and found while one charged a lower kwh, the 'daily' fee was dearer.
    I firmly believe if a 'supplier' can offer these rates on contract, why cant they have those same charges for everyone if their as efficent and cost consious as they claim to be?
    And finally, NO company is in business to save YOU unless there is a profit in it for them.
    I have been in this house since 1965 buying power from the same company whose had 4 name changes and do I ever get any offers for being a 'Good Customer' who has paid nearly always on time ??
    Dream On !!!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Thanks Gordon,

The main reason why the dodo offer 'on the face of it' appears attractive, is that they are offering a 20% discount.....I agree that they are not doing anyone a favour, and are pretty slick.....which is why I'm searching for the catch(s), apart from what I listed earlier. Hopefully someone will have some details of their intent....i.e. is the 20% discount a 3 month 'introductory' offer only, but they haven't told anyone yet? No other company is offering this level of discount, which makes me think that it's a short term con to get customers signed up. I think the rates I currently pay with Red Energy aren't too bad, compared to what some other people pay......but if I can save a few hundred $$$ by changing, and there are no major catches....it would be stupid not to. Don't get me started on the whole "rewarding good customers" thing.....every time I see some damn health insurance advert offering to "waive a waiting time", or "giving an added bonus" for new customers it makes my blood boil.......
    Last edited by eecs; 18-07-11 at 10:00 PM.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12