Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e-readers

Thanks

Default e-readers

anyone here know much about e readers?
    ive done a little looking into them and have a decided i want one with these features

6" or 7" e-ink screen
    dosnt need to be touchscreen
    pdf reflow support

cant think of anything else important to me right now.
    basically im looking for one with these features for as cheap as possible.
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

Look Here ->
    Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I was looking into an e reader about 18 months ago, I looked at the kindle and that type of product but the size was what turned me off them. I bought an acer tablet pc form eBay, one with the flip over screen, this was very good and served it's purpose but was extremely heavy to be used like a book and the battery life was only a couple of hours.

I eventually settled on an iPad for a number of reasons,

1. Lightweight
    2. Colour screen, decent size too.
    3. Allowed pdf's
    4. More vesatile, Internet, video, music etc
    5. Large capacity memory

But much more expensive.

Also recently, look at a thread for me here, I bought a 7" my tab. This is as versatile as the iPad but the clarity of pdf's is a little poor due to the screen size I feel.

Good luck
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

tablets and things like that are no good for me, lcd screens just suck to read books from.
    e-ink is b&w and has the look of actual text on paper, thats what i need to read for lenghty periods of time
    looking into the simple touch nook atm, seems ok
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

Thanks

I have a Kogan e-reader. Looks like it now has a touch screen - mine doesn't.

Works well with the e-ink and supports most formats and has the reflow for PDF. Top battery life and is rechargable via USB and expandable memory slot (SD) and even comes with a cover.

Good price too - under $200

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osiris777 View Post
    tablets and things like that are no good for me, lcd screens just suck to read books from.
    e-ink is b&w and has the look of actual text on paper, thats what i need to read for lenghty periods of time
    looking into the simple touch nook atm, seems ok
    Hi osiris,
    You won't find better reader then the kindle.
    The size - anything from 7" to 10";
    e-Ink is perfect - very gentle and eye not get tired at all;
    You can read under direct sun light no problems;
    Supports pdf and heaps others. Use calibri to format other ebooks to mobi if you wish. Has audio (txt to speach) if the book was created this way.
    The battery life will take you through 2 weeks holiday without recharging. I had it lasting for three weeks;
    Free 3G connection to amazon bookstore if you want to load directly to your reader. Otherwise load onto your PC and synchronise whenever you want. Heaps of free books there as well as all over the web.
    Anyway, I don't regret getting it.

Thanks

i think i have decided on the new simple touch nook
    just gotta figure out how to get one from the US, i have a friend there but just asked a favour from her, i ordered something and got it sent to her and she was sending it on to me.
    trouble is it sat in the back of her car for 2 months. dont really want to have that happen again.
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

Thanks

just gotta figure out how to get one from the US.
    HopShopGo maybe?

I always use them, works fine.
    Last edited by fromaron; 19-06-11 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks

i bought the Kindle, Wi-Fi for my mother and is a great unit , amazon has them for $139 and i think its free postage
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

just gotta figure out how to get one from the US, i have a friend there but just asked a favour from her, i ordered something and got it sent to her and she was sending it on to me.
    trouble is it sat in the back of her car for 2 months. dont really want to have that happen again.
    You could use one of the forwarding services, and I believe that UPS can even do it for you, for a small fee. I know people who have done that with Bauer Ice Hockey gear.

Does PDF reflow on the nook work well, its the biggest problem with ereaders and pdfs.

I agree Ipad screen is shocking for reading a book on, great for a short time bad for a long time.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

I got Kindle 3. I love it.

I've used a iPad 2 at work before I got the Kindle and I don't think I could read a book on that screen for too long.

Thanks

I was recently in the USA and bought a sony ereader pocket edition.

I love it! Great to read, easy to use, touch screen and reasonably priced (in the USA anyway)

No WIfi etc I didnt want that as I always have a laptop with me, didn’t want to read off a lcd screen (purely personal preference). I simply wanted a light, small device with a very good battery life (weeks not days) and this fit the bill.

Would recommend it highly

Cheers
    SB
    The sea was angry that day my friends!

Thanks

I have got the Kindle, had it for 6 months and only charged it 3 times (about 16 books) There is some good software out there to (Calibre and Kindle Collection manager) that help manage your ebooks.

I would also highly recommend Jailbreaking it, this allows for your own images to be displayed in the "power off" state.

It does have built in wireless, very handy for buying books off amazon. They then automatically transfer to the device once a wireless connection is established.

Been a Service Tech, I also carry lots of PDF around.

Postage was $20, ordered Monday morning, arrived Wed.

I did lots of looking around, was going to buy a tablet. I borrowed a mates Ipad, managed 20min of reading before my eyes were very sore. The non-backlit display means reading in full sunshine is perfect, can read for hours

Suggested upgrade options.

Leather cover, can get some good ones from Ebay would suggest you order it a week before you wish to get your Kindle. The case I got also came with a free screen protector. (skindigital)

Car/wall charger, once again, ebay.

LED book light, dealextreme.

Thanks

anyone here have a new nook touch?
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

Are there sites for downloading most books (cracked) ie free of charge.
    I'm asking for a friend of a friend.
    Thanks

btw how is the nook?

Thanks

dont tell anyone dude but i acquired 10,000 (so it says) sci fi & fantasy pdf novels
    and now i know what you guys were talking about with Calibre, what an awesome app. ill get the nook and convert the pdf's to epub for it, seems to work good on the epub reader on this pc
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    I got Kindle 3. I love it.

I've used a iPad 2 at work before I got the Kindle and I don't think I could read a book on that screen for too long.
    Yeah, I've got a Kindle and an iPad. Books look great on the iPad but only for half and hour to an hour.

The Kindle I could use all day. Teamed with Calibre and whatever doc/rtf/pdf/ect that I can find.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Did you or anybody else get the touch nook?
    If yes, how are the PDFs from magazines like the Elektor, especially the readability of the component values in the circuit diagrams?
    How fast is the loading speed of PDF pages with reflow?
    Is the zooming and panning quick and smooth?

I would not even consider one of these readers if it were not for the battery issue or more the lack of a proper sleep mode with my 10" Android tablet. This is driving me nuts.
    I need to switch on the device and immediately see the diagram I had on before and not wait ages for booting up and reloading of reader and (sometimes very large) files.

Strangely my first PDA Zire71 with PalmOS I bought 10 years ago was capable of that. Could switch on after many weeks and continue to read without reloading or recharging. The 3" 320x320 screen was not very suitable for large page PDF files, so I am not quite sure if these 6" eReaders are up to the job either.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

the screen is pretty small on it and i havnt even tried a pdf as i have a program that converts them to epub files, they are pdf novels. probably your best bet would be to have a look on youtube for rooted nook touches as that ads a lot more functionality to them and may do what you are looking into. i am unsure if the kindle which is available locally now can be rooted, you may want to look into that as well.
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

• The Following User Says Thank You to osiris777 For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (19-09-11)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

The Nook is based on Android. That is why I am focused on it.
    I should be able to read all kinds of files including images without limitations once rooted and use apps like EzyPDF, that handles large pages quite good IMO.

The Kindle could be too limited for my needs. According to what I read on the net, even rooted it only adds basic functionality like more screen savers and fonts, which I don't need.

The main problem is the Touch Nook is not available in Australia so I can't try before I buy.
    The price tag of about $200 for grey market orders with postage is a bit of a turn down too.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    The Kindle could be too limited for my needs. According to what I read on the net, even rooted it only adds basic functionality like more screen savers and fonts, which I don't need.
    What exactly do you need from the kindle? It does pdf files (not colour though) and you can get to the place you left before straight away.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast