Thread: Current Scam

Thanks

Default Current Scam

Hi all hope this is useful

New twist on computer error message/virus scams: joint warning
    View radar online.
    Added: March 2011
    SCAMwatch, Microsoft and the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) are warning Australians to continue to be wary of scam calls claiming that your computer is infected with a virus or is sending out error messages.
    In July 2010, SCAMwatch issued an alert regarding about these scams which continue to plague consumers.
    Scammers, in a new twist, are making follow-up calls to people who initially fell victim to the scam. In these calls the scammer falsely claim to be from a foreign government, foreign law enforcement body, or from your bank, and offers to recover the money which you initially lost to the scam, in return for a fee. Beware – the scammer will not give you your money back and will only ask you for more money.

SCAMwatch has received numerous reports from consumers that the initial computer virus/error message scam telephone calls are continuing. Victims have reported receiving unsolicited calls from what they believe are foreign call centres. This scam typically involves a scammer cold-calling you and requesting remote access to your computer. If you give the scammer access, they will claim to run a scan, discover a fake virus and then apply high pressure sales tactics to convince you to buy unnecessary anti-virus software or technical services to ‘fix’ your computer.
    Scam callers will tell you that you have a PC and then change their story if you advise them that you actually have a Mac. Scammers will even tell you that you have a computer when you don’t own one at all!
    If you fall victim to this scam, as well as losing your money and getting a service which provides no benefit, your personal and banking details will be at risk. You may also expose yourself to a follow up scam like the one described above.
    If you receive a call like this, just hang up.
    Warning signs

You receive a scam call out of the blue claiming there is a problem with your computer.
    The caller claims to be from a large computer company/brand, bank, financial institution, or legitimate technical service provider.
    They will request remote access to your computer and if you say yes will run a ‘scan’ that shows up a fake virus.
    The scammer will pressure you into buying unnecessary software or a service to ‘fix’ the computer.
    The scammer may be very persistent and use abusive or inappropriate language.
    The scammers may sound professional and knowledgeable.
    If you fall victim to the scam you may receive a follow up call falsely claiming to be from an overseas government or law enforcement body pretending they can recover the money you initially lost to the scam – Beware this is another scam!
    Protect yourself

If you receive a phone call out of the blue about your computer system’s security status and requesting remote access - hang up – even if they mention a well-known company or product.
    NEVER give an unsolicited caller remote access to your computer.
    If you have given remote access to your computer, or you fear that your computer has been hacked, seek out help or advice from a qualified and reputable computer technician.
    Do not give out your personal, credit card or online account details over the phone unless you made the call and the phone number came from a trusted source.
    Make sure your computer is protected with regularly updated anti-virus and anti-spyware software, and a good firewall - but research first and only purchase the software from a source that you know and trust.
    If you have fallen victim to a scam or you receive a lot of unsolicited emails and phone calls consider changing your email address and phone numbers.
    If you are considering providing your details to a company, read their privacy policy/terms and conditions first. If you do not agree with how they will use your details, do not provide them.
    If you think you have provided your account details to a scammer, contact your bank or financial institution immediately.
    You can report a scam to the ACCC via the report a scam page on SCAMwatch or by calling 1300 795 995.
    More information:

‘Scams beware’ on Microsoft Australia’s Government Affairs blog - GovTech or contact Microsoft Customer Service on 13 20 58.
    ACMA’s consumer alert: Computer virus scam calls
    SCAMwatch radar July 2010: Telemarketing scam: your computer has a virus!
    Stay one step ahead of the scammers. Explore SCAMwatch for more tips on how to recognise and protect yourself from scams.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to myf360f1 For This Useful Post:

best4less (23-06-11),joezep (24-06-11),tristen (24-06-11)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hi myf360f1,
    I had plenty of people tell me they have received the phones,
    I received one myself, Yes they told me that their records showed that my computer had errors and viruses.
    When I asked which computer out of the four I had, he could not tell me and told me I must do as he says.
    I insisted that I talk to his supervisor, after a couple of minutes another person continues question me about virus,
    I reply with,
    " It's your lucky day Sunshine, You've rung Detective Senior Sergeant David Williams of the NSW Fraud squad. The line went dead.

Haven't had another call. A few people have been called a couple of times now.
    People need to be made aware that these scammers are at it. I've gotten a few calls from pensioners that haven't fallen for it, thank goodness.
    Thanks for posting up the contact details.
    Cheers.
    Never get too busy making a living

That you forget to make a life

Thanks

Default Eprotectonz.com scam

an 85 year old friend of ours got a phone call while she is on the no call register she was talked into giving her creditcard details for a so called 5y service contract
    The website seem very convincing and has Australian and international phone numbers which are never contactable
    She cancelled her creditcard but it was to late to cancel the transaction
    The web site has now been reported to Scamwatch in the hope that it might save sombody else