Thread: Review: AVTECH AVN80X IP Camera

Thanks

Default Review: AVTECH AVN80X IP Camera

Hi Everybody,

Today I will be writing about the new AVTECH AVN80X IP Camera - A simple, easy to use surveillance camera.

Specifications:

• 1.3 Megapixel IP Camera
    • Multi-Platform Remote Survallience
    • 720P 16:9
    • Supports Mac / Windows /iPhone / iPad / Android / Blackberry + More
    • Easy Setup Wizard
    • 360 Degree Mounting
    • High Output LED
    • PIR Motion sensor
    • Alarm I/O Port Connectivity
    • F1.5 Aperture
    • Status LED's
    • Recording to optional MicroSD Card
    • Adjustable Manual Focus
    • Digital PTZ
    • Email, FTP or SMS Notification
    • Multi-Language
    • VideoViewer Software (Windows/Mac)

The major additions on this model compared to the AVN304 is the added PIR motion sensor (combined with push notifications), MicroSD card slot, I/O alarm connectivity and two way audio.

The Package:

In the box you get the AVN80X Camera, Power Supply, Mounting bracket and instructions.

On the front of the unit, we have the white LED (Visible Light, for lighting the area), PIR motion sensor, status LED's, focus ring, microphone and speaker

The LED is to light the scene, motion sensor for detecting real movement, status LED's for easy and quick diagnosis of errors, focus ring for clear vision and the microphone and speaker combined make the two way audio between the camera and remote devices.

The rear features an Ethernet port, power supply plug, I/O Alarm connectors, mounting bracket thread and reset button. The alarm connectors allow you to attach reed switches, strobes etc for further functions of the AVN80X

Setup:

(Same as the AVN304)

Once plugged in, the unit is accessible by it's default IP or can be found in the network panel in Windows. - No need for windows software!. This may differ depending on your network setup, but logging into your modem should show the device and it's IP.

After accessing the unit, you are prompted with a login screen. Default username/password is 'admin'.

Then you are presented with an easy to use setup wizard. Click 'Do not show wizard at login' and hit next (or the wizard will come up next time!)

Then you can change the access details (Recommended)

Next, Date and Time

Now comes network. This part can be a little tricky depending on what you want to do with the unit (Such as local or remote viewing). As you can see, I've changed the port from 80 to 8889 and then I changed the Static IP - I did this as I needed remote viewing capabilities.

Next, we can change the video settings on the camera.

I suggest you leave everything except the two last options, being ADSL upload speed and environment. Again everything can be changed later if needed.

Finally, a confirmation screen and you're done!

Video Viewing

With the 1.3 Megapixel sensor, the AVN80X brings back terrific video quality.

Heres two shots taken from VideoViewer on Mac, the first one with the room dark and the inbuilt LED on. The second is just using the rooms lighting.

And on the iPhone:

As you can see, picture quality is suburb on the iPhone and Mac.

Final Thoughts

After thorough testing of this unit, I found it to be excellent with great Mac compatibility (rare in the world of video surveillance), excellent video quality and the push iPhone notifications work a treat, instantly playing back the motion alert.

The only thing lacking is wireless functionality, but with a cheap wireless router in WDS mode, this can easily be achieved (Such as the Sapido RB-1602)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Simo1122 For This Useful Post:

intelliGEORGE (28-06-11)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Great post looks like a great home camera.
    I have seen another one from Brickcom that was every
    similiar...

If you are looking for software that works on MAC, Windows and Linux.
    then I would suggest EXACQ. Very good professional software and very
    affordable, not sure about the AV-TECH camera with it though.

Anyway good report what's the price? $149

Jamie