Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: uec 4121 pros and cons

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Softek2 View Post
    It seems to me that the networks got it wrong when sorting terrestrial chan 7 on 6 and chan9 on 8. So they corrected the problem on the VAST platform. {great job}.
    Terrestrial digital in Central & Eastern also uses the metro LCN allocations.

Quote Originally Posted by Softek2 View Post
    As a foot note to SMACCA:
    I do understand the “raped & pillaged” status of the Aurora platform. A survey of my clients would suggest that if they could get “real” television they would discard satellite in a heart beat.
    Of course they would. But Aurora and VAST both still have certain advantages. The game is still on, it's just got a bit more expensive and tedious.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Nothing conveyed officially about release dates yet.

I doubt there'll be a 'rebate' and my guess it will be an optional extra. eg: ... buy the box with or without the remote/recording function.

I'd also guess UEC will offer an optional 'package' of remote and external HD, certified to be compatible with the decoder.... not all external HD's are.
    Hopefully UEC will release a comprehensive list of compatible drives
    Or will we have to guess at our expense
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,079 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Hopefully UEC will release a comprehensive list of compatible drives
    Or will we have to guess at our expense
    I'm guessing they will.

They did with USB flash drives for the trial, but then decided to provide their own... the same with external HDD's, which made sense, so as all tests were made with identical recording media.

I'm still tipping they will offer a 'compatible' package of remote & HDD.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I think we all got different HDD's, to test multiple brands in one go. I got a and I know someone else getting a . Unless they plugged their own in?

I'm confident that any powered HDD under 1TB will be compatible.
    Last edited by Smacca; 13-09-11 at 01:11 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

Tiny (13-09-11)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post
    I think we all got different HDD's, to test multiple brands in one go. I got a and I know someone else getting a . Unless they plugged their own in?

I'm confident that any powered HDD under 1TB will be compatible.
    I got a externally powered HDD

My Western Digital Elements Externally Powered HDD, also works Fine
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 13-09-11 at 01:32 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Sounds like another "FREEVIEW" ' use our devises only' scam with this recording/remote arrangement.
    They coudlnt get away with it regarding FTA but VAST could be a 'Nice Little Earner' as its outside the envelope with its own special regulations and conditions.
    You might say why would they bother but with a 'Closed' market, they set the prices so you either Pay or dont record !!
    There are already rumblings that you wont be able to replay any recording elsewhere and the recording will be time limited as it is on PayTV.

I wonder if sometime down the track they may offer PPV (First Run movies , SPORT like the current Rugby Cup etc) as VAST is idealy set up for it.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    I got a externally powered HDD
    Who knows exactly what technology is available out there to prevent recordings being done either via the AV/Composite/HDMI outlets to any devise not approved to receive it?
    Whether its worth the cost of implementing it I dont know but I am sure IF it was a viable option for the broadcaster, it would be used.
    Maybe I am a bit too "Star Wars' inclined but there must be encryption systems in place, most likely Militarily only, to make a system secure.
    Nothing cant be unencypted eventually but it it generaly takes lots of time and facilities far beyond the Average Snooper to achieve.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

I also think that UEC may offer a PVR kit (with remote & HDD)

just so the experience is non problematic for the user,
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 13-09-11 at 06:58 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Mines the Western Digital Elements HD

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I'm still tipping they will offer a 'compatible' package of remote & HDD.
    Cool, I'm all for that to suit the majority of non technical users.
    Hopefully if they do the HDD will be formatted to their specs so it's almost a plug & play setup.

For others who would like to choose which hard drive they use, just a remote would do, or just the software for those with programmable remotes.

Glad to see 1TB in size, I was really hoping that would be the case as my biggest bug with My* is the small drive size & no ability to expand.

Thanks to all that responded with the drives that do work, we now have a list in progress.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

I wonder if sometime down the track they may offer PPV (First Run movies , SPORT like the current Rugby Cup etc) as VAST is idealy set up for it.[/QUOTE]

Spot on Gordon! The Imparja and SCTV execs have indeed been planning "premium" services being offered on VAST. To buy the premium services your VAST box would have to be connected via it's return path (internet port). This way once you press the magic "Red Button" your VASAT box ip address is registered and your VAST box firmware (MHEG5) upgraded (or rather activated). This effectively will provide viewers with a "pay per view" program or game but not necessarily a whole new channel.

I have not heard anything about a harddrive PVR version of the UEC4121 except for what I read here. But I am sure that once UEC announce a PVR version then this would have to coincide with an announcement from EASB VAST operators. The VAST operators want their own pay service (who wouldn't only crap on FTA).

Premium Member

Thanks

beerman, they could do it the same way Austar does now by pressing the remote button and going to a channel to obtain an order number for the program, ring a 1300 number, quote your STB card number and your credit card and away you go, no return path needed back to base from the STB.
    With a 'locked' recording device it could then be viewed exactly the same at the Mystar/IQ system is with a built in 'Delete By Date'.
    Even if you were a 'Smartie' and unplugged the recording device thinking you can retain the recordings, they do regular updates so that when that signal is received and the devise is plugged back in, it wipes the recording.

Premium Member
    Thanks

The UEC has a single tuner, so you can rule out On Demand services like Austar/Foxtel until a new box is developed. Regional Australia has shocking broadband access, so you can also rule out IPTV On Demand content until the NBN is completed. Even then, Freeview hasn't developed a standard for this sort of service, and with VAST required to adhere to 'Freeview 2' standards, they won't be able to go it alone anyway.

Having said all that, I can go and see my mate Dick Smith and buy a new non-Freeview Certified TV and it gives me access to IPTV and On Demand content via the internet. Plus7, iView, SBS On Demand, Gecko, YouTube, etc. Freeview sucks in comparison.

Premium Member

Thanks

Smacca, I only have a standard Austar Titan stb but I can still buy a movie although I cant record it.
    And irrespective if you have 20 tuners, you can only watch ONE show at a time.
    I already have satelitte internet and I cant stream much because it buffers and stalls and with the limited Data Allowance they have compared to terrestial services, it makes it bloody expensive to even consider Video downloads and there are still areas that Wireless and/or Fibre/Copper lines will NEVER reach so VAST could easily fill that gap.
    As for Legislation, thats a stroke of the pen IF the companies want to provide it.
    2 X 2 GB (peak/off peak) at $45 a month wont stream much, will it?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 16-09-11 at 12:56 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Smacca, I only have a standard Austar Titan stb but I can still buy a movie although I cant record it.
    And irrespective if you have 20 tuners, you can only watch ONE show at a time.
    It wouldn't be able to work like that. Not for free-to-air. Foxtel Box Office is great because it has around 20 channels, so you have plenty of chances to watch the movie. A Freeview option with just 1 or 2 channels won't work. Purchasing would be difficult as you'd need to be given a pass for XX hours. So that would mean no other movie could be played on that same day/channel.

True on demand is much, much better and offers total flexibility for the viewer. It could also be done with just one single channel to push any content they like (paid or free) straight to the HDD. This is what Freeview need to focus on if they want to really take viewers away from pay TV.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I already have satelitte internet and I cant stream much because it buffers and stalls and with the limited Data Allowance they have compared to terrestial services, it makes it bloody expensive to even consider Video downloads and there are still areas that Wireless and/or Fibre/Copper lines will NEVER reach so VAST could easily fill that gap.
    As for Legislation, thats a stroke of the pen IF the companies want to provide it.
    2 X 2 GB (peak/off peak) at $45 a month wont stream much, will it?
    Yeah, that's right. IPTV isn't an option for VAST viewers and won't be for quite a while. Definitely need to use VAST to deliver content, but it all boils down to what Freeview want to do.

Premium Member

Thanks

smacca quote:It wouldn't be able to work like that. Not for free-to-air. Foxtel Box Office is great because it has around 20 channels, so you have plenty of chances to watch the movie. A Freeview option with just 1 or 2 channels won't work. Purchasing would be difficult as you'd need to be given a pass for XX hours. So that would mean no other movie could be played on that same day/channel. :quote

While I have never used the Box Office facility thru Austar, from what I read of the service is I do as I quoted earlier and I then have access to that movie for about 24 hours.
    Origonaly it expired at 6 AM but I think its longer now, possibly 24 hours from purchase.
    When you 'buy' the movie, it used to show a 'Starting time' , now I cant tell you if you were then able to start seeing it half way thru or you have to wait for the next advertised starting time.
    As for seeing more than one Movie at a time I have no idea if thats possible.
    in the beginning Austar/Foxtel never had a stand alone PPV channel untill they created Main Event and it grew from there so there is no reason VAST cant do the same, again IF the Broadcasters want to do it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

That's about right Gordon, you have access to the PPV movie for 24 hours & it has preset starting times which you can choose from & watch it as many times as you like in the 24 hrs. For PPV Live sport events, you can watch it live & if there is a replay you can watch that to.

I really hope that VAST & Freeview doesn't go down the PPV avenue as the whole point of the Freeview consortium is that we shouldn't have to pay for sport. To quote the Freeview home page;
    "Why pay for TV when Freeview digital television gives you more channels,more shows and a better picture, for free?"

They make their money thru advertising.
    Cheers, Tiny

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,079 Times in 6,766 Posts

Some are comparing apples to oranges.

PPV is on a pay TV platform, while VAST is FTA.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Tiny (18-09-11)

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234