Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: uec 4121 pros and cons

Thanks

Default uec 4121 pros and cons

I thought I'd start this thread to list pros and cons with the decoder we are presently stuck with
    Cons
    1: colour selection on epg poor, hard to read
    2: remote layout poor, apart from having no ch change on the jog/shuttle the numbers are on the bottom and just about needing two hands to ch change that way
    3:If I change ch's too fast the thing reboots, or even going thru the epg too quick
    4:no modulator,
    5:no record ability
    6:only one tuner
    7:no lnb out
    8:cannot re-arrange ch's
    9:cannot be used for non vast transponders
    10:no memory on power off, it has to go thru the retune/scan process

Pros
    1:it goes
    2:hdmi out
    3:price fixing by gov

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cpd For This Useful Post:

bodgie (12-07-11),lurk_relurking (12-07-11)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cpd View Post
    2: remote layout poor, apart from having no ch change on the jog/shuttle the numbers are on the bottom and just about needing two hands to ch change that way
    The new PVR remote solves these issues.

There will be very soon. They're still bug testing.

6nly one tuner
    Most standard satellite boxes are built this way. Dual tuners and the like usually come into play with devices designed with in-built PVR functionality.

Just like the card marriage, the networks want it this way. Not UEC.

3rice fixing by gov
    Shouldn't that be a con?

For the record, I don't agree with having a single box available to VAST subscribers. I'm just answering what I know. There needs to be a lot more choice out there for everyone from the pensioner who wants a cheap $80 solution for the kitchen, to the tech savvy who wants a powerful dual tuner 1TB machine for $500.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

efab (12-07-11),it's me (12-07-11),OSIRUS (12-07-11),sat 49 (13-07-11),Tiny (13-07-11)

Thanks

the price is NOT fixed and they can be picked up a lot cheaper, you just have to look around

Thanks

What pvr remote, where?

"Just like the card marriage, the networks want it this way. Not UEC"
    Hey smacca, why would the networks even care?
    I would have thought the only tangable reason the networks to care about vast at all would be so they can avoid installing transmiters for small communities
    For UEC to relaese a box with as many bugs as they have, makes it seem like a rushed job to match a low price.
    I am not recomending the 4121 to those that ask, my advice is to wait awhile. If they have to have it now, then they can buy it and I'll install it but I'm not going to sell them
    the current offering

"Shouldn't that be a con?"
    On one hand the price has been held down, but on the other I guess you get what you pay for, guess it fits in both

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    the price is NOT fixed and they can be picked up a lot cheaper, you just have to look around
    Hey efab, how much cheaper?
    I have heard figures around 50 bucks cheaper but no more than that unless in bulk
    The box itself couldn't be worth more than about $80, card $40 so someones cleaning up
    I don't know why they even bother with the card and slot at all, why not just stick the hmk straight into the cpu's eprom

Thanks

I paid 219 and have heard of them going for for close to 200

the box should only be 50 or less but some how some idiot locked them into a good deal for the supplier.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

What pvr remote, where?
    The remote control with PVR buttons, which is required in order to use the box as a PVR. More information about this will be released soon.

Hey smacca, why would the networks even care?
    I would have thought the only tangable reason the networks to care about vast at all would be so they can avoid installing transmiters for small communities
    With VAST, the networks have the final say on the equipment. It's basically what "Freeview compliance" is, except where we consumers don't have a choice. The most obvious inconvenience is the lack of basic options such as the ability to scan in other channels, or to rename and renumber channels. But the marriage of cards to boxes and the tight-arse fees for manufacturers all fall under this umbrella of network control. Compare that to Aurora where you can basically do whatever you want, even without an official card. VAST is the biggest crackdown on piracy I think we've ever seen.

For UEC to relaese a box with as many bugs as they have, makes it seem like a rushed job to match a low price.
    I am not recomending the 4121 to those that ask, my advice is to wait awhile. If they have to have it now, then they can buy it and I'll install it but I'm not going to sell them
    the current offering
    There's been plenty of bugs, and I'm sure that was due to a rushed job. I'm really disappointed we haven't seen an alternate box on the market yet, after a year on-air.

"Shouldn't that be a con?"
    On one hand the price has been held down, but on the other I guess you get what you pay for, guess it fits in both
    If there wasn't a mandated price, I'm pretty sure resellers would feel queezy asking for $270+ for the current box.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smacca View Post

With VAST, the networks have the final say on the equipment. It's basically what "Freeview compliance" is, except where we consumers don't have a choice. The most obvious inconvenience is the lack of basic options such as the ability to scan in other channels, or to rename and renumber channels. But the marriage of cards to boxes and the tight-arse fees for manufacturers all fall under this umbrella of network control. Compare that to Aurora where you can basically do whatever you want, even without an official card. VAST is the biggest crackdown on piracy I think we've ever seen.

Why the big security issues with VAST The pamphlet put out by the government "Are you ready for digital TV" has a section to explain how to record digital TV. This is for terrestrial but isn't VAST basically a retransmission of terrestrial FTA via satellite What is the difference how you receive your TV

Thanks

."VAST is the biggest crackdown on piracy I think we've ever seen."

We really do get sucked into this bullshit. "Crackdown on piracy" , pray tell how? It is available in every major city and town , it's called FTA , but for us lower class country people there is suddenly a need to crackdown on piracy. Who the hell would be pirating it? People in the city, they already have it at nearly no cost on every street corner?
    This whole Vast is pandering to the networks at our cost and the rubbish that it is a crackdown on Piracy is simple swallowing the TV networks crap and asking "more please".
    I'm not having a go at you rather the attitude that anyone would pirate our Free to Air TV, who the hell would they sell it to?
    SMILSH.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lurk_relurking For This Useful Post:

dam0 (13-07-11),Softek2 (09-09-11)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

There is PVR Firmware in testing at the moment, I don't know the timeline if & when it will be released,

I personally think, the security measures are over-kill,

I also think making all the Security measures work are a lot of the problems,

I have also heard reports that the Broadcasters are having trouble with their encoders that feed the Vast broadcast, (when the picture is stuttering etc... they are asked to reboot their encoders)

& all the Security measures makes it hard for all the other STB manufactures to enter the market (having to sell it with a Vast card & married to the STB, to start with.....unless they somehow bypass this)
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 13-07-11 at 10:56 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Thumbs down

Wonder how much they will want for the new PVR remote $100

Look what they just sent out for extended warranty, more than 25% of the box's rippoff price

"Thankyou for previously registering your Altech UEC VAST set top box through our online or fax registration form.
    We are emailing you today the below offer to extend your manufacturer’s warranty for an additional 2 years for a one off cost of $79 per set top box. If you would like to take up this offer, please call us on 02 9425 5777 and have your set top box serial number and credit card details handy."

The bloody box isn't worth $79, who are they trying to kid
    Last edited by Tiny; 13-07-11 at 11:04 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

I thought I'd start this thread to list pros and cons with the decoder we are presently stuck with
    Cons
    3:If I change ch's too fast the thing reboots, or even going thru the epg too quick
    4:no modulator,
    6nly one tuner
    10:no memory on power off, it has to go thru the retune/scan process

Pros
    1:it goes
    2:hdmi out
    3rice fixing by gov
    With respect - I think you've drastically overrated this piece of crap. For starters it doesn't go all the time - the thing constantly reboots and shuts down by its own accord.

Second - hdmi - I have all sorts of trouble getting the hdmi to work through a Pioneer home theatre: I've tried versions 1:2 through to 1:4.

Third - as an alternative I tried component out and the result is appalling; way worse than HDMI with using any decent reciever, composite is better than component.

Fourth - the remote can't be programmed to a universal remote (or at least the one's I've tried, Pioneer, Logitech, Onkyo).

To conclude - an all round sub-standard unit

Thanks

Pc9
    But it does go, sort of

I don't have anything here with a hdmi input(still running crts) and wasn't aware of any issues. I'm running composite out and was thinking that was why my epg looked shitty
    A learning remote should be able to read the uec code, as my lounge has 5 remotes already (and I don't even have a stereo there) I haven't tried

I was trying to find pros for the box from a user point of view
    New list

3: If I change ch's too fast the thing reboots, or even going thru the epg too quick
    4: no modulator,
    5: no record ability
    6: only one tuner
    7: no lnb out
    8: cannot re-arrange ch's
    9: cannot be used for non vast transponders
    10: no memory on power off, it has to go thru the retune/scan process
    11: price fixing by gov(could be free ie gov's stb program)
    12: It doesn't always go
    13: hdmi problems

Pros
    1: it goes
    2: hdmi out (?)
    3: price fixing by gov (not $500)
    4: It's black

PS: I don't know where those smileys came from, I don't use them
    Last edited by cpd; 13-07-11 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks

Thought of another pro
    It has a reset button on the front(or should that be a con)
    No wait....it has auto reset

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

PS: I don't know where those smileys came from, I don't use them
    The smileys are because you have the characters : and p and : and o together without a space between them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

cpd (13-07-11)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

For a company who has made and supplied Satelitte box's for years, to have released this VAST compliant stb is a disgrace and NOW they want you to buy a new remote to be able to use a PVR facility whenever they get off their backsides and make it available.

I do have to question how anyone can judge a UEC VAST stb when there isnt anything else on the market and really untill someone else enters the market, unless its even worse than the current UEC model (god help us) we really cannot give an honest evaulation of crappy the UEC stb really is.

Suggestion to UEC to improve their image (HAH!!).....
    Run a campaign to offer current UEC uses to return their current Remote to their supplier/installer/retailer for the new version.

Who wants to hold their breath with me while we wait for this to happen ????
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Someone on here has already tried to tell you all, but your not all reading..it is the broadcasters/network whom has set the standard of what they want. The manufacturer is not responsible. Go beat up the right mob.

Thanks

Uec deserves all the bashing they get, in my opinion
    The only name I see on the box is UEC's
    UEC didn't have to take the tender but they saw the $$$ and vomited up the 4121
    I don't believe the networks asked uec for the problems thier vast viewers experience
    Now if they asked for the cheapest possible box and dam the torpedos, they should well share the blame, but I wouldn't think so.
    I would imagine that they asked for a box that would do high def, and features to do with hd
    They probably didn't ask for a box with features like fox's iq, something much more basic but functional
    I couldn't see foxy putting up with the 4121

I have no idea what criteria they asked UEC for but I would like to know

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

I still feel the UEC box is way overpriced for what it is... but most of that price is in licensing fees to Optus and the government.

I wouldn't expect other manufacturers' boxes to much difference in price, if and when they appear on the market.

I also think the exclusive deal with UEC was a sham from the beginning and with all the associated fees that go with even the release of a firmware upgrade ($20K) is designed by stakeholders to keep competition down.

That said, UEC have to pay that fee to Optus each time a firmware change is made and has to be certified by Optus.

UEC have been experimenting with numerous firmware changes and field-testing them for some time, doing everything they possibly can to iron out any issues before they provide Optus with the final release for certification.

In fairness, if I was having the pay some theiving department 20 grand each time I made the slightest modification to firmware, I'd want to be sure it was reliable before distributing it.

Yes, the PVR Pack with new remote is being trialled and UEC want to get it out ASAP so hopefully, it's not too far off.

Thanks

"I do have to question how anyone can judge a UEC VAST stb when there isnt anything else on the market and really untill someone else enters the market, unless its even worse than the current UEC model (god help us) we really cannot give an honest evaulation of crappy the UEC stb real"

If I compared one piece of crap with another piece of crap, the first piece of crap is still a piece of crap even if it's not as crappy as the second piece of crap

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast