Thread: Change your Jaycar programmer to 5V USB power supply.

Thanks

Default Change your Jaycar programmer to 5V USB power supply.

When I built my Jaycar programmer I had the option of either using a 9V power or internal power from PC or USB 5V, I opted for 9V supply as I had 9v power supply pack floating around home, but that really wasn't practical, so I decided to change it to the 5V using a USB cable.

All you need is a $2 USB cable from your local $2 shop and a steady hand to solder 2 wires - the power & the earth.

So, first of all get your usb cable and chop one end off, now carefull cut back the outer plastic cover of the cable and you should find 4 separate wires -on mine the colours were Red, Black, Green & White -strip the outer plastic cover back about 1 to 2 inches, find the Red & Black coloured wires and then tie or tape back the other 2 as you won't need them.

Carefully cut back the plastic cover of the red & black wires so as the actual wire is exposed because you are going to solder these to chnage your power supply from 9V to a 5V usb powered programmer.

In the attached photo, I've circled the Regulator (in red) named REG1-78L01 to which you are going to solder the red wire, you will see three legs on this regulator, make sure you solder the red wire to the leg directly next to REG1-78L01(indicated by the green arrow) or consult your diagram if your jaycar came in kit form for you to build.

Now with the black wire this is the earth so you can solder the black wire to any earth point, on mine I soldered the black wire to either of the two MIDDLE pins as indicated by the 2 black lines on the internal PC power supply socket.

If you have done this correctly you should now have a 5V USB powered Jaycar programmer.

once you have soldered the wires to their respective points you will needto somehow tie or anchor the USB cable to the board, otherwise your going to keep ripping the wires out, what I did was use a plastic tie to anchor the cable to one of the spare holes on the outer edge of the board, you will see where I've anchored my cable in the photo.
    Last edited by osci; 12-05-08 at 12:25 AM. Reason: error

Look Here ->
    Thanks

nice one mate saves the need for a external psu for it, though the picture has not come up

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    nice one mate saves the need for a external psu for it, though the picture has not come up
    just fixed it....

Thanks

Thanks Osci....that was quick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoopsOz View Post
    Thanks Osci....that was quick.
    no worries Coops.....I hope it helps!!