Thread: Ducted air transfer system pros & cons?

Thanks

Default Ducted air transfer system pros & cons?

Hi all,
    Like many in this area, we've a reverse cycle air conditioner installed in the open plan lounge & kitchen area, which heats that area very well, and to a slightly lesser extent the two small bedrooms directly off that area as well.

But the other bedrooms and bathroom area up the hallway at the other end of the house miss out. One possible solution touted is to use a ducted air transfer system, taking the warm air close to the ceiling in the lounge and transferring it to the cooler rooms of the house via fans and ducts in the roof space.

Sounds all good in theory, but how well does it work in practice? Are there any drawbacks?

Look Here ->

Thanks

Obvious downside would be the Air con haveing to work harder and chew more power if its on a thermostat, as the room cooled, when you shifted hot air to another room.

Cheapest solution is insulation if you havent done that already.
    Thick curtains, carpet and stopping drafts.

Saw a system in the US where a guy built a little glass house over a South faceing(North Faceing for Australia) wall, painting the wall a dark clour first.then ducting the hot air into his house.

The glass house was only 150 mm of the wall just enough to heat up the air between the wall and the glass.
    I dont know what they are called but they sound pretty cool.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

An often forgotten option is reversable ceiling fans.
    I have found I can raise the temp in the lounge room by 3C when in the 'Reverse' winter mode as it blows the warm air down from my 10 foot ceilings.
    Being induction motors they run silently and I dont think they consume much power.
    Distrackted, that sounds like a 'Conservatory' only smaller which are very popular in the colder northern areas but unless you live in Tassie, you might need some sort of adjustable sunshading in Summer.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

It was just a small glass box not a conservatory

Roughly 2 metres high 150 mm deep and 3 metres wide

found it
    Thermoshiphoning Air Panel

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mitaux8030 View Post
    Hi all,

But the other bedrooms and bathroom area up the hallway at the other end of the house miss out. O?
    Sounds like a likely area where your manhole could be located.

You could replace the manhole lid with a board that has a fan mounted on it that blows the hot air in from your roof cavity. I know it has to be sunny but it is free energy when it is. I can sometimes heat my bathroom and master bedroom up to 27°C in the day and it is then there still 18°C in the night when it is 12°C outside. The best time to run the fan is between 11:00 and 15:00 in winter so a small timer could also be useful

Any iso bats should moved away from the fan and dust vacuumed away. You can also use a lint filter from an old clothes dryer to keep dust and particles away.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...